• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I was so impressed with Indy Monkey's skills from these pictures, that I sent him a message. Sometime he's coming all the way here to check me out, I mean my roof out. Very excited!:rockwoot:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    First off let me say that I wish I had called you first.
    I had to have my roof re-done after a hailstorm so I hired an American company. They took two days which was fine with me but I'm sorry to say that it leaked like a sive. The old one never did. They never would come back and fix it so I had to have it repaired and re-roofed by a close friends son who drove from another state just to help me out.
    Now, the same day that the first company started my roof, a neighbor had theirs re-roofed by a big crew of (8-10) Latinos. They started late and finished early and were gone and you couldn't tell anyone had been there it was so clean. Oh boy! Well that's the way it was. :rolleyes:
    I think my first crew had their nail guns set to powerful or something because not only did it leak but the wind blew some big sections of it off into my yard and there were holes where the nails had been.

10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have a question, if you don't mind:

"We dont remove the old felt unless there are decking issues, this house had none so we left it on".

If you don't remove the felt, how are you aware of the presence or absence of decking issues? Simply by experience and feel under your feet? I'm sure you aren't looking in attics, are you? Not a challenge, I just don't fully understand.

Thanks.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    As I posted in another thread...you sir, are a real man. I did my own roof in an effort to save money. I was successful, but never again. I'm not built for roofing.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I have a question, if you don't mind:

"We dont remove the old felt unless there are decking issues, this house had none so we left it on".

If you don't remove the felt, how are you aware of the presence or absence of decking issues? Simply by experience and feel under your feet? I'm sure you aren't looking in attics, are you? Not a challenge, I just don't fully understand.

Thanks.

I can tell by walking on the roof what kind of decking it has on it and how many layers of roofing is on the house.

When you remove an old roof you can see water damage if the roof was leaking, popped decking where ply clips were not used. If its a 1x roof the felt tears when the boards break.

It all comes from 15 years of experience and doing thousands of roofs and repairs.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I can tell by walking on the roof what kind of decking it has on it and how many layers of roofing is on the house.

When you remove an old roof you can see water damage if the roof was leaking, popped decking where ply clips were not used. If its a 1x roof the felt tears when the boards break.

It all comes from 15 years of experience and doing thousands of roofs and repairs.

how about if theroof decking is 2x5 tongue and groove boards? (yes my roof deck is 2x6 t&g boards....)

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    how about if theroof decking is 2x5 tongue and groove boards? (yes my roof deck is 2x6 t&g boards....)

Then unless your roof has been leaking for 20 years you shouldn't have any decking issues with something like that. It would be a pain in the arse pulling all those nails out of it though.

It wasn't built with the deck boards of of noah's ark was it?:)

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Anyone want to guess whats wrong in this picture?

picture.php

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Their roof has storm damage from the Hurricane Ike winds and they used the insurance money to go on vacation instead of fixing their jacked up roof.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    When the roof is hot you can always use cougar paw boots...they are designed to walk on hot shingles without damaging them. When I was in roofing, we used them all of the time without damaging shingles. The work we did was mostly GAF Golden Pledge warranty work.... which basically means you had to go by the manufactures specs for installing the roof. After the job was complete an inspector from GAF would come out and inspect it ....if there were any damaged shingles they would have to be replaced before they would issue the warranty. Also, nail guns were not allowed to be used...everything had to hand nailed....plus one other thing...when the a roof met any siding....the siding was removed approx 10" up and ice & water was installed approx 6'' to 8" up the wall...then the siding was reinstalled. This would prevent any water getting down between roof and siding.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom