• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    My partner and I roofed a house yesterday and today. I thought I would take some pics and walk you guys through the process.

He and I have worked together roofing houses for the last 15 years. He's a great guy and one of the best roofers I have ever roofed with. As slow as business has been lately everyone else has been laid off, so its just he and I when we actually have work.:rolleyes:

We get there at 6am and start tearing the roof off. The pitch is 6/12 so its a pretty easy walker, one story ranch house. In this pic the section on the lower right is tore off and we have started on the upper right section. We dont remove the old felt unless there are decking issues, this house had none so we left it on.
    picture.php

Now the whole roof is tore off, its 9:30 am. we have an air stapler that we use to staple the felt down.
    picture.php

Front and back are felted, gutters are clean and its 11am on day 1
    picture.php

We go eat lunch, get back at 1pm and load the shingles and other materials on the roof.
    picture.php

Each skid has 14 squares of roofing, weighing aprox 3,150 lbs
    picture.php

It makes for a much easier day, a boom delivery cost aprox 50.00 more for the service.
    picture.php

14 squares loaded in the 94 degree heat. Half way done. I think my partner is praying to God that he does not stroke out.
    picture.php

Roofs loaded, time to go home untill 6pm
    picture.php

We get back at 6pm and start roofing. Here I am running the low dormer side in first.
    picture.php

My sides done, bringing the main roof over to the valley.
    picture.php

Valley is done, chalkline in the middle of the top of the valley, 3" out at the bottom.
    picture.php

Cutting the main roof side with a hook blade.
    picture.php

Valleys done, nice and straight. front side of house is roofed 1500 square feet total. was done by 8:30 pm
    picture.php

Chimney after we removed the flashings.
    picture.php

Back the next morning at 6am to finish the back side of the roof. New flashing and counter flashing, cut into the mortar joints 1/2"
    picture.php

Back is complete, house had 3 vents in it originally, we installed 5 more and 2 bathroom vents.
    picture.php

We were done,customer is happy, ground is cleaned up and check in the hand at 10 am.

31 squares of roofing, 4 pipe boots, 2 bathroom vents, 8 750 roof vents, 7 rolls of felt.

2 Americans 12.5 hours, other than 2 nail guns that we use that are made in Japan, and one staple gun that is made in Sweden 100% of the money stays in the USA.:patriot:

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    You sir, are a HARD working man.
    If I EVER need roof work, your gettin' the call!

There are few job as hot as roofing work.
    I ran a limestone quarry for 9 years, and I think roofing has to be a hotter job than quarry work, and the quarry is 10 degrees hotter than hell.

My hat is off to you. :cheers:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Soooo... you do work sometime! Looks good. Kinda cool how you make the bends around the angles and valley. Now you have some Garand money right?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Soooo... you do work sometime! Looks good. Kinda cool how you make the bends around the angles and valley. Now you have some Garand money right?

AK74 + AR upper= nice Garand. Break one of those nice ones out. Ill be by tomorrow to pick it up. Oh, one more thing, throw some ammo in with it.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I have been a General Contractor for 10 years in Southeastern Indiana. New homes, remodeling, and commercial.

Nice work. That's fast for 2 guys. Your work looks really good and clean.

I'm impressed. Too bad your not closer, I would Sub some roofs to you as I get them.

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    I have to respect this. I know first hand it's hard work did some roofin' in my younger days. I got out of it after I fell through a bad spot on one job while we were still tearing it off.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    awesome!

so, Ive added a couple of roof vents to my house and need a few more. I was thinking of using a vented ridge cap, but I see you didnt do that on this house. Do you prefer the standard vents to a vented ridge??

Top Bottom