• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    Connecticut passed Sunday liquor sales within the last 2-3 years after having been banned for eons. What prompted it was too many folks crossing the borders to buy in other states, and an ongoing budgetary deficit. The new Governor at the time beat the mom & pop store lobby. If they don't want to open up then they don't have to at all. But most do along with the larger liquor outlets.
    And the state also extended the nightly closing time from 8PM to 9PM.
    The small stores still have the minimum pricing laws to help them compete.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Why not be able to buy alcohol on Sundays. I'm sure you can buy crack and meth on Sundays.

You ever try to get a hold of your crack dealer on a Sunday? Its a nightmare, if they aren't in church they're watching meet the press or doing yardwork. Its always something.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    While we are on the topic, can I say we should be able to buy cars on Sunday as well?
    (I'm in for the dst topic as well)

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    While we are on the topic, can I say we should be able to buy cars on Sunday as well?
    (I'm in for the dst topic as well)

I disagree...it's the only day I can cruise the car lots and not have a salesman try to stop me 100x.

All for the alcohol sales on sunday thou!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm all for Sunday alcohol sales from all manner of stores - provided all the stores are on EQUAL FOOTING.

Hopefully Beerman will be in soon to list all the special stupid rules that liquor stores have to abide by.

Equal footing for convenience stores, liquor stores, and grocery stores when it comes to alcohol = fantastic.

And yes, I think that we, as free people, should be free to buy a car from a dealership on Sunday should we want to. Houses, too. (much of those prohibitions have to do with banking and financing availability on Sundays, though) But if you're paying cash - why not let it rip on a Sunday. Leave it up to the individual business.

-J-

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    What are these extra restrictions on liquor stores? Wouldn't a lift on Sunday sales and a repeal of these restrictions benefit everyone?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What are these extra restrictions on liquor stores? Wouldn't a lift on Sunday sales and a repeal of these restrictions benefit everyone?

the liquor stores see it as a loss. everybody else is already open on sunday, so they will not incur any additional overhead if sunday sales are allowed. liquor stores will see an increase cost due to having to add workers on sunday that they dont already have.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

Who can come into their stores (minors), all the other extras they cannot sell (candy, snacks, etc) that grocery stores can sell...

Goofy crap like that.

-J-

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I don't know what is included in the Sunday sales repeal, what it would allow and such. I do know my local liquor store owner is against Sunday sales, so I generally will side with the small business owner. I can deal with no Sunday sales.

Then again, I may be missing the big picture, my ears are open.

Not exactly the "free market" is it?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

Part of it has to do with licensing. Grocery stores sell booze as "medicine" basically, while liquor store need a liquor license. Liquor stores also have hiring restrictions, I believe. I'm sure there are inspections and what not they need to pass that grocery stores don't.

It's all idiotic. The only thing a restriction ever did was make something cost more.

I would like to add an amendment to remove Indiana's distribution and retail laws as well. That's a racket if ever there was one.

fochman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    I agree with ATOMonkey's comment about eliminating Indiana's distribution and retail laws. Let free enterprise sort things out. And Indiana does lose tax revenue on Sunday sales. I live 12 miles from Michigan and when I mess up and find myself without alcohol on Sunday, I drive to Michigan and spend my money there. Indiana needs to move out of the prohibition era and join the rest of the world, regardless of what the liquor store lobby thinks. Evolution (change) happens and the liquor stores will have to evolve just like other business do.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I work in a place that sells liquor. It's actually kind of nice not to worry about the liquor tasks for a day. I honestly don't know why this is an issue. Want your liquor? Get it Saturday, problem solved.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I work in a place that sells liquor. It's actually kind of nice not to worry about the liquor tasks for a day. I honestly don't know why this is an issue. Want your liquor? Get it Saturday, problem solved.

I think it should be illegal to sell ANYTHING on Sunday.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I think it should be illegal to sell ANYTHING on Sunday.

There are places that actually do this. Not far away from where I grew up, there was a county where only specific businesses were allowed to be open, only grocery stores and restaurants. Everything else (car dealerships, entire malls, non essential businesses) had to be closed by law. It sounds dumb, it kind of is, but in the end it's nothing more than an inconvenience. I just planned ahead, so it was of no major concern to me.

Top Bottom