• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I grew up in Jackson, Tennessee that had real blue laws and was a dry county. Even they climbed the Sunday liquor fence a number of years ago to be like the "big cities". I can't say the removal of these laws are the cause, but Jackson, Tennessee is now much like big cities such as Memphis in many other ways now.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I tell you what. I am still fairly new to Indiana and the no Sunday sales finally got me this past Sunday. I was doing some Christmas shooping and a bottle of wine was on my list to get. Guess I will have to go back...

It would be nice to get it repealed, but if not, it isn't a huge deal

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I don't know what is included in the Sunday sales repeal, what it would allow and such. I do know my local liquor store owner is against Sunday sales, so I generally will side with the small business owner. I can deal with no Sunday sales.

Then again, I may be missing the big picture, my ears are open.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Liquor stores can sell booze on Sundays?

Or are they just not open on Sundays and don't want anyone else to be

No they cannot be open on Sundays either. Liquor stores do not want beer/liquor to be sold on Sundays because then they have to be open Sunday and pay people to work. Also, a repeal of the laws would allow grocery stores to sell cold beer, liquor stores do not want that either. The government has created a nice little niche for them and they do not want to let it go

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Meh, I don't drink enough to worry about this. I don't consume a case of beer in a year. I might drink one or two bottles of wine in a year, and maybe a half-dozen mixed drinks over a years time.
    I don't have a problem planning. If I forget to buy it before Sunday, oh well, I must not have really wanted it anyway.

I would rather see somebody concentrate on doing away with daylight savings time.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't know what is included in the Sunday sales repeal, what it would allow and such. I do know my local liquor store owner is against Sunday sales, so I generally will side with the small business owner. I can deal with no Sunday sales.

States shouldn't be in the business of inhibiting free commerce based on what liquor store lobbyists want.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Meh, I don't drink enough to worry about this. I don't consume a case of beer in a year. I might drink one or two bottles of wine in a year, and maybe a half-dozen mixed drinks over a years time.
    I don't have a problem planning. If I forget to buy it before Sunday, oh well, I must not have really wanted it anyway.

I would rather see somebody concentrate on doing away with daylight savings time.

I don't smoke but I don't think states should tax the hell out of smokes, I don't gamble but I don't think a state monopoly on the lottery is fair.
    Lot's of things I don't partake in but I always look to extend freedoms wherever possible.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Do they exempt for certain days in certain places? For example it seems like I remember buying beer from a grocery store in Speedway the Sunday of the Indy 500 a few years back.
    Though it may have been Saturday ha

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I think the best option for the liquor stores is to cave in with a caveat... allow non liquor stores to sell WARM alcohol only on sundays and other days, while retaining the exclusive right to sell COLD alcohol year 'round. Best of both worlds. Shopping on sunday and beer is on the grocery list? get it warm. On the way to a tailgate and need a cold case to consume in 30 minutes? Gotta find a liquor store. I'm afraid if they keep their heels dug in and demand absolutely NO sales on sunday they are going to lose, and lose BIG.

And you can purchase alcohol on Sunday in the state of Indiana... just not carry out.

And that NEVER made sense to me. If Sunday sales are sooooo bad, a sale, is a sale, is a sale. It doesnt matter if you are consuming it on the spot or later. If anything sunday PACKAGE sales should be OK and bar sales should not; at least package sales you can claim "but I'm not going to consume it on the sabbath. Its for tomorrow." Cant exactly claim that at the pub now can you?

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    And that NEVER made sense to me. If Sunday sales are sooooo bad, a sale, is a sale, is a sale. It doesnt matter if you are consuming it on the spot or later. If anything sunday PACKAGE sales should be OK and bar sales should not; at least package sales you can claim "but I'm not going to consume it on the sabbath. Its for tomorrow." Cant exactly claim that at the pub now can you?

I don't think they even pretend that's the reason anymore do they

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Offered with no additional comment: you can buy alcohol in Indiana on Sunday, even for "take out"; you just must purchase it directly from the producer, be that a winery, brewery or distillery.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana

Yep.. It never made sense to me either, if anything you would think it would be the other way around. But the almighty tax dollar is at work with the taverns, bar's & restaurant's. It also encourages drunk driving. The law needs changed to what most of the other states have done.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep.. It never made sense to me either, if anything you would think it would be the other way around. But the almighty tax dollar is at work with the taverns, bar's & restaurant's. It also encourages drunk driving. The law needs changed to what most of the other states have done.

not as much as the compartmentalizing that zoning laws does. back in the day you could open a neighborhood tavern where your locals could saunter down the sidewalk for a brew (or two, or three, or six) and then wander back home. But we cant have that now can we? bars and other businesses cant POSSIBLY be intermingled amongst houses! Oh the humanity! Think of the children!

So now instead of being able to hit the neighborhood pub and walk home if you had a few too many, its impossible because the "neighborhood pub" is now >5 miles away thanks to zoning laws and walking home is no longer an option. (at least not to a drunk who thinks "its only 4 miles, I can make it!")

Top Bottom