• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Crimson Trace on my LCP is the bomb. Grip the gun properly, and it turns on.

Most SD situations out side the home happen in low light situations.

happy-ditto.gif
    on the Crimson Trace ..... Love mine :ar15:

Carried in a Blade Tech....

bladetech.jpg

Last edited:

chadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Sure if you like them. I wouldn't depend on them as a replacement for anything but they make a good addition. I wouldn't try to use them as an "intimidating" factor, but if you've got one on there and it works if you need it, fine.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have a hard time turning on the laser on say a S&W Bodyguard 380 at the gun show. No way are you going to be able to do it in the heat of the moment.

But for the ones that are grip activated, how is there a downside?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I like them for a couple of reasons.

1) Training tool. You can see where in your trigger pull you are flinching or pushing the gun VERY easily with a laser on.

2) Helps overcome short sight radius and improve accuracy on snubbies or other short barreled firearms. These guns are not inherently inaccurate, and a laser will greatly extend the effective range for the average shooter.

3) Can be aimed when injury prevents you from getting a proper sight picture.

I've got a laser grip on my 1911. It comes on when you grip the gun, so no time is required to activate. When I carried it I practiced with it on and off. Much like any optics, you need to practice with irons as well, just in case.

Yes, it might your position away, but my understanding is we're talking a defensive carry weapon. If I'm defending myself, most likely the person I'm defending against knows I'm there. If it is some odd situation like an active shooter where I'm waiting in ambush, its no more difficult to deactivate it than it is to flip a manual safety on or off.

I agree with the above. I had one for my G27 and it altered my grip just a little bit, but it was enough that it was annoying. In general I like the idea, as long as it is a rear or side activated unit.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Crimson Trace laser grips won't change your grip at all. Rail mounted, I agree.

I just saw this and had to respond. They DID change my grip on a Glock at least. I'm talking specifically about the LaserGuard unit that mounts on the trigger guard. The activation switch is on the first finger groove below the trigger guard. It sounds minor, and it is like 1/8 of an inch but it DOES affect your grip -- specifically the little space that's right at the top of the first finger groove. Look at a glock grip and you'll see what I mean.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    On a carry gun, the distance it draws a line back to you isn't of a concern cause I doubt you're taking shots far enough to give away your position (odds are they can already see you).
    If you were trying to make that long distance shot, the laser would be far above the target & in my mind not very helpful.
    Most poeple take too long looking for the dot on target than just looking through the sights.

Long story, I'm not for them at any time.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I just saw this and had to respond. They DID change my grip on a Glock at least. I'm talking specifically about the LaserGuard unit that mounts on the trigger guard. The activation switch is on the first finger groove below the trigger guard. It sounds minor, and it is like 1/8 of an inch but it DOES affect your grip -- specifically the little space that's right at the top of the first finger groove. Look at a glock grip and you'll see what I mean.

I stand corrected, then. I've only used them on a 1911 where they replace the existing grips. Never tried them on a polymer gun.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    They come on when you grip your firearm, much like the deactivation of a grip safety it requires no extra steps in your presentation.

some of them do, if your refering to the crimson trsce ones they do. Ther are some that dont actually activate them unless you physically turn them on. THink some of the viridian green u actually have to turn them on.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I have them on my carry gun, a Sig P226. They are CT and feel exactly like the stock grips in my opinion. I also have night sights. I feel like I am equipped for most situations. I am proficient with both my iron sights as well as the laser. I wouldn't go back to not having my laser grips.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Crimson Trace on my LCP is the bomb. Grip the gun properly, and it turns on.

Most SD situations out side the home happen in low light situations.

This is the reason I wouldn't have the Crimson Trace on my LC9 (in fact I had the Laser Max but eventually took it off .... should sell it ... but )
    If you were in some situations, you may not want that thing to go off and give your position away.

Also, at the range, I found I did better at 15 yards without the laser. It was too distracting.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I like them for a couple of reasons.

1) Training tool. You can see where in your trigger pull you are flinching or pushing the gun VERY easily with a laser on.

2) Helps overcome short sight radius and improve accuracy on snubbies or other short barreled firearms. These guns are not inherently inaccurate, and a laser will greatly extend the effective range for the average shooter.

3) Can be aimed when injury prevents you from getting a proper sight picture.

I've got a laser grip on my 1911. It comes on when you grip the gun, so no time is required to activate. When I carried it I practiced with it on and off. Much like any optics, you need to practice with irons as well, just in case.

Yes, it might your position away, but my understanding is we're talking a defensive carry weapon. If I'm defending myself, most likely the person I'm defending against knows I'm there. If it is some odd situation like an active shooter where I'm waiting in ambush, its no more difficult to deactivate it than it is to flip a manual safety on or off.

This, especially reason #3. A few months ago PSA were selling nice Sig rail mounted pistol lasers for $39.95 with free shipping, so I bought a couple and mounted one on my Gi9 and really like it. It is there if I need it.

Dave

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I had Crimson Traces on both my XD45 and XD9SC a year or so back. I sold them both in favor of Trijicon night sights and 4.5" trigger jobs. Have never regretted it since.

The Veridian lasers in my opinion are bulky, needlessly complex (in a high stress situation) and will only fit in Viridian holsters which are equally as bulky.

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    One of my handguns is the S&W .38 Bodyguard, which of course came with a laser. I never use it - my thought is the snubby is a 'close in' gun (less than 10 yards), and I really don't need a laser to hit a target at that range. Not worth the time to turn it on if things are going bad, up close.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Bought some Crimson Trace lasers after a trainer recommended them. I did not care for the Glock version. I really like the one on my 642.

RedThunder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    Never had one, but that laser that replaces the guide rod in the glocks seem interesting. I'm too focused on gaining a sight picture to "look around" for a laser spot. That would get me killed. Just my thoughts.

Top Bottom