Lame Saturday Night Activities: How Bad Is It?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm now in the last week of the Statistics class. I just submitted the third of three projects and now I have a large "review" homework set, two discussion board assignments, and the final exam all due by Friday at midnight. I'm in the home stretch!

I've been reminded by this course how critically important attention to detail really is, much like in engineering or accounting. I've also started to learn how to use a statistics analysis package called StatCrunch. For most of the semester, I made heavy use of Excel, but without some special add-ins, many of the analysis techniques are far more complicated and time consuming than they are with StatCrunch. I just wish I had embraced it earlier in the semester!

I think I'm going to take the rest of the evening off and hit the studying in the morning.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    MATH200, Statistics, is now complete! I made a few small errors on the final exam, but the score is okay, as is my score for the semester. It was a very good review of the general principles and preparation for my next steps.

I think I no longer have any more Ivy Tech classes that I can do online that will be useful enough to me to justify the time. If I do any more Ivy Tech classes, it will be more for fun than for anything else.

Now I need to continue my search for an online Applied Statistics certificate or MS program and move forward when my resources allow it.

I also remembered that I started a Statistics course on LinkedIn before I started the class I just completed. I wen back and completed the remaining chapter quizzes and the exam, so I now have the Statistics Fundamentals 1 certification on my LinkedIn profile. The exam was not a significant challenge after doing a "real" class! Now I need to do Part 2 and Part 3.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    MATH200, Statistics, is now complete! I made a few small errors on the final exam, but the score is okay, as is my score for the semester. It was a very good review of the general principles and preparation for my next steps.

I think I no longer have any more Ivy Tech classes that I can do online that will be useful enough to me to justify the time. If I do any more Ivy Tech classes, it will be more for fun than for anything else.

Now I need to continue my search for an online Applied Statistics certificate or MS program and move forward when my resources allow it.

I also remembered that I started a Statistics course on LinkedIn before I started the class I just completed. I wen back and completed the remaining chapter quizzes and the exam, so I now have the Statistics Fundamentals 1 certification on my LinkedIn profile. The exam was not a significant challenge after doing a "real" class! Now I need to do Part 2 and Part 3.

Hey purple pachyderm, this is FRIDAY! Save your regression analysis for tomorrow!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have not posted here recently, mostly because I decided to take the summer off from taking classes. As I got closer to the start of the summer term, I felt like I should be doing more, so I changed my mind. I looked for a class that would beneficial to me in some way, but would not cause much stress for the summer term. After some searching, I found "Introduction to Statics & Strength of Materials" in the Design Technology program. I was looking for either Statics or Dynamics, but neither were offered as Physics courses or Engineering courses online, nor was the streamlined version of Statics through the Engineering Technology departments. While searching, I cam across the class under Design Technology, which surprised me. I wasn't expecting a rigorous treatment of Statics, but . . . well, the good news is that I won't experience much stress this summer due to coursework. And, when we get the Strength of Materials parts, it may jog my memory enough to remember some of what I used to be able to do.

I think I need to move forward with some of the courses available at no cost online through MIT, but not until the summer term is over.

I am also on hold with the Applied Statistics online certificate or MS programs until I am suitably employed and able to afford the tuition.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    I mowed my yard last night, started a bonfire, and pried 8 marshmallows out of the pack to roast. Overall, a productive evening. Oops, it’s only Friday.

Today, put my brake caliper seals together on the V65, put it back on the bike, bleed and test ride. Maybe even take a ride. Get out of bed first, dog walk to the bank, fix shoe shelf in wife’s closet, till the flower garden, shoot some hoops with the neighbor kids, take another dog walk, finish mowing the front lawn, AND put the new jack on my trailer.

I’d say the chances are 50/50 that all gets done. There’s some statistics for ya!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I mowed my yard last night, started a bonfire, and pried 8 marshmallows out of the pack to roast. Overall, a productive evening. Oops, it’s only Friday.

Today, put my brake caliper seals together on the V65, put it back on the bike, bleed and test ride. Maybe even take a ride. Get out of bed first, dog walk to the bank, fix shoe shelf in wife’s closet, till the flower garden, shoot some hoops with the neighbor kids, take another dog walk, finish mowing the front lawn, AND put the new jack on my trailer.

I’d say the chances are 50/50 that all gets done. There’s some statistics for ya!

Nice! However, I declare your activities too practical and potentially fun to be lame! Hahah!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Little shovel work for a Saturday night???

20190622-201453.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I switched things up last night. I did the vacuuming and some related chores last night.

Actually, I did the "sweeping" as my half-Kentuckian brain is programmed to call it. I am trying to retrain myself to say "vacuum" because of the ridicule from SWMBO each time she hears me refer to it as sweeping of the vacuum cleaner as a "sweeper." And yes, I fully realize that even if successful, the ridicule will continue unabated, just with a different failure or flaw as its focus.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's been a while since I reported my lameness.

During the summer session there were no online math courses of interest to me, so I found a an intro to statics and strength of materials course from the design department. I wasn't expecting it to be a rigorous treatment of either subject, but I thought it might be enough to job my memory and get me working some interesting problems. Unfortunately, it didn't really scratch the surface of either subject in any meaningful way. Oh, well.

I was expecting to have to find an online differential equations course somewhere else, but lo and behold, it was available online this semester at Ivy Tech. I am now in week #2 and all is going well so far. After this, all I really need is linear algebra to move forward with an online applied statistics certificate or MS program. I am still "shopping" and hoping to find somewhere I can join the online faculty in order to get a tuition waiver (otherwise, paying for is a problem).

For those of you who had coursework in differential equations in the past, do you recall using something called an "integrating factor" to solve non-separable, linear first-order differential equations? It seems like a nifty trick, but I don't remember learning it all those years ago or seeing it since.

Top Bottom