Lame Saturday Night Activities: How Bad Is It?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    th

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm in the home stretch for Calculus II. Tomorrow I take the final exam (4 hours, 30 problems). I have a 99.17% average going into the exam, and the final is worth 20% of the course grade. That means I don't need to do that well to still get a decent grade, but I will kick myself for weeks to come if I bomb it. The worst part of that is, you guys will have to read all of my whining!

We get to take one page of notes (front and back) and my page is about full now. Tonight I'm going to review the last two quizzes, rework problems that I don't remember, and then put a fork in it.

I am registered for Multivariate Calculus for the spring 2019 term. That's going to be fun because it's compressed into 8 weeks like a summer session. On the bright side, if I don't have a job yet in January and February, I won't have excuses about not having "enough time." On the other hand, when I was working 50-60 hours week on my previous job, plus my part time job, I seemed to have better luck getting my assignments done. I suppose when you're forced by circumstance to manage your time tightly, you just make it happen.

Another upside is that if I can find a second half semester-based mathematical statistic course, I can do that in the spring semester as well. I think I'm leaning toward remolding myself for data analysis. I think I'd be good at it professionally and the job market is excellent for those positions.

Do any of you do that kind of work? And in this context, I mean data analysis in working with the actual data, and not its storage and database stuff.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The "vacation" is over ... multivariate calculus has started. The pace will be brisk since it's condensed into 8 weeks like a summer session rather than the normal 16 weeks. One good thing about being unemployed is that I'll have time to study. If the instructor allows, I'm going to try to work through as much as I can as quickly as I can (and still understand what I am doing) in order to reduce my load when I regain full time employment.

I had additional expenses this time. Since the class uses a different textbook than Calculus I and II, I had to buy a new online access code. I found a good deal on the publisher's web site for the online code plus a printed copy of the textbook for just $50 more than the code alone. That's less than buying the code and a used paperback copy of the book, plus I got a 10% discount for responding to a three question survey.

The course also requires a TI-84 PLUS graphing calculator. Trying to sift through the different versions of the TI-84 was a challenge, but I finally went with the TI-84 PLUS CE, which retains the functionality of the TI-84 PLUS, but adds a better display and a rechargeable battery. I considered stepping up to a TI-89 or a different brand (Casio or HP) because I'll outgrow the TI-84 after this class. However, I think that the instructional material that is TI-84-specific will make my life a little more challenging if I have to learn how to do everything with a different system. I can just sell the thing when the course is over as well.

Fortunately I got a fistful of Amazon gift cards for Christmas that covered most of the calculator! At this time, it would have been a challenge without those. I'm glad that I kept my brain in austerity mode and refrained from blowing through them on knives.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The TI-84 PLUS CE arrived. It was a nice device with a very good color display. Unfortunately it just wasn't right for my needs. If I have to buy and learn a new brand of calculator, it must be useful for me in the future and this model wouldn't be that helpful moving forward from this class. After consulting with the professor, Casio and HP are out, but she did approve the TI-89. It's going to be tougher to use than a comparable HP or Casio (for me), but it's a beast that I am unlikely to outgrow and it can even be updated.

The TI-84 PLUS CE is packed, labeled, and ready to return via UPS. The TI-89 should arrive on Thursday.

My textbook and online code will arrive tomorrow . . . make that later today. I'm using the two week trial for the online access right now. The eBook online is a pain in the butt to use. I'm looking forward to using a real book again!

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I remember those graphing calculators being a huge pain in the ass to learn to use. Then when the kids needed them for school they were so non user friendly the instructors insisted on a specific calculator for the class. The one the instructor knew how to use.:rolleyes:
    There are several Floating around here all of them useless now I would imagine

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I remember those graphing calculators being a huge pain in the ass to learn to use. Then when the kids needed them for school they were so non user friendly the instructors insisted on a specific calculator for the class. The one the instructor knew how to use.:rolleyes:
    There are several Floating around here all of them useless now I would imagine

It is a pain, but the reason they specify a specific make and model is so that when they do the lessons, they don't have to teach it 23 different times. I know that in the lab I where I used to teach has a drawer full of at least 20 identical Texas Instruments graphing calculators that will never be used again. Ten years ago no one was using them and the batteries were all dead then. I doubt if anyone has surplused them of tried to get a trdrade-in for a newer model. They could easily be of use to someone . . . if they were not in that drawer. Where they will remain. Forever.

If find any of them, let me know what the brand and model numbers are. I might be interested in a purchase!

Multivariate Calculus update: first homework set and first quiz completed. The second set and quiz are due Saturday. Ordinarily I'd have a week for each, but we're doing it all in 8 weeks! D'OH!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    UGH! The first error has marred my score for the class (Multivariate Calculus)!

Tonight I had to complete a quiz over sections 11.4-11.9 in our textbook, which was an introduction to vector operations, curvature, 3-D surfaces, etc. In this course, the professor allows two attempts for quizzes, which is fortunate for me!

During my first attempt, I was about 2/3 of the way finished when I got a notice on my screen that said I was about to reach the time limit. This has not happened to me before, but in this case I think I spent too much time fussing with my new calculator (TI-89 Titanium) and checking each problem right after I worked it instead of after I finished. I had to submit with several problems blank! D'OH!

On my second attempt, I was more mindful of the time and finished comfortably with about 22 minutes to spare. I took a little break, then came back to check my work. I finished checking and submitted shortly before the time expired.

Then I was shocked to see I had missed part "d" of the 9th (of 12) problem! To make it worse, it was one of the simpler problems on the quiz (cross products and dot products). When I entered my answer, I entered "-" for the sign of the k-component (-119i - 85j - 85k), but it should have been "+." I reviewed the history in my calculator and I had the correct answer (-119i - 85j + 85k), both when I worked it the first time and when I redid it to check. I did not, however, notice my data entry error before I submitted! D'OH!

As troubling as it is miss points due to conceptual errors, it bothers me more to lose points due to lack of attention to details because it's so simple to be careful and attentive. This may seem like a small thing and unworthy of the time I spent typing (and you reading), but this "confession" is part of my review process intended to help me avoid repeating mistakes.

I MUST REMAIN ATTENTIVE TO ALL DETAILS, YET ALSO WORK AT A PACE SUFFICIENT TO COMPLETE THE ASSESSMENT IN THE ALLOTTED TIME.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you know your problem, you can then take action to correct it.

Agreed. I'm trying to think of what I can do to not overlook a tiny detail like that under the time constraints. It's easier to spot things like that when you can set it aside and check it a few days later.

Wear a bandana like a western bandit
    Sho headshots
    I dare you!
    You can do this calm the **** down

Hah! Good advice!

Top Bottom