• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I haven't, but I've seen a (supposedly) journeyman electrician attempt to change a blown 480 fuse, WITH HIS BARE HANDS!!! His partner slapped his hand just like you would slap a child's hand.

Years ago, one of our journeymen would take an old 600v fuse a and make a test light out of them. They were great for testing fuses----if you remembered to throw the disconnect first. Finally, one day a guy forgot and got burned a little and orders were sent to throw them away.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    i work with college age students. at one point we had a password that they needed to know that had the words "ball bearing" in the pass phrase. some of the students thought that this was very rude and wanted to know why anyone would use such a phrase in a school setting. For one thing they confused 'bearing" with "baring" secondly when i asked them if they had ever taken apart a roller skate or a bicycle hub they were clueless
    I realized that i must be getting really old

We had a production supervisor whose nickname was Weiner. In our process, they were always messing with ways to cool the dies to solve quality problems. One of Weiner's last accomplishments before he retired was to add a spray nozzle to hit a certain part of the die. It became known as "weiner water". As time passed though and enough people came in that never heard of Weiner, that name all of a sudden became offensive. Even after it was explained, the offense was too engrained.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    No. I just now looked it up though...my first thought is CRAP! Now they have another reason to call me at home. :):

It is cool though--I wish I'd thought of that.

I just ordered the General Maintenance set. I've had several applications where it would have been very nice. I've got moving equipment with cabinets that you can't meter while it's running. This will be nice to set up and leave it and read the data later. I've watched several of the videos and I don't know why any factory maintenance department worth their salt wouldn't have it. You can view it through laptop or smart phone and store to the cloud.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I haven't, but I've seen a (supposedly) journeyman electrician attempt to change a blown 480 fuse, WITH HIS BARE HANDS!!! His partner slapped his hand just like you would slap a child's hand.

Puts hair on your chest. I've seen several people scare me around panels.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I used to work as a die setter. My partner and I had finished our job, and we were leaning against a high pressure steamer, chatting with the operator. My partner reaches over, touches my tool box, and starts screaming. For those that have seen The Fifth Element where the black guy screams like a girl, he sounded just like that. The operator and I start laughing, and my partner starts stumbling around like he's completely drunk, and he's twitching. He starts saying (which was really hard to understand because he's slurring his words), "That thing shocked me!"

We're looking at him like he's stupid, because we're still leaning on this steamer. Finally, we realize he's not joking, and we get him to medical. Turns out the steamer (which is 480) was wired wrong. When he touched my toolbox, he made the connection and ate 480 volts.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    We had a production supervisor whose nickname was Weiner. In our process, they were always messing with ways to cool the dies to solve quality problems. One of Weiner's last accomplishments before he retired was to add a spray nozzle to hit a certain part of the die. It became known as "weiner water". As time passed though and enough people came in that never heard of Weiner, that name all of a sudden became offensive. Even after it was explained, the offense was too engrained.

For years, our machines had a Tony button that did absolutely nothing. Whenever a new hire was having trouble getting their machines to run, we'd remind them to try the Tony button.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It's not uncommon for guys at our place to put male plugs on the hot side of the connection. We've even found them on 60 amp 480 plugs.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I used to work as a die setter. My partner and I had finished our job, and we were leaning against a high pressure steamer, chatting with the operator. My partner reaches over, touches my tool box, and starts screaming. For those that have seen The Fifth Element where the black guy screams like a girl, he sounded just like that. The operator and I start laughing, and my partner starts stumbling around like he's completely drunk, and he's twitching. He starts saying (which was really hard to understand because he's slurring his words), "That thing shocked me!"

We're looking at him like he's stupid, because we're still leaning on this steamer. Finally, we realize he's not joking, and we get him to medical. Turns out the steamer (which is 480) was wired wrong. When he touched my toolbox, he made the connection and ate 480 volts.

Most likely 277. That is painful as hell. Knocks you loopy. 480 puts you down.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Back in the day I swapped out breakers in live panels. Seemed OK then. Now, well, not so bright.

Oh, I've done that. Just won't grab a 480 fuse bare handed when one lug is still hot. My most hair raising experience was putting in a 200 amp bus plug in live.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm not sure. It's marked 480.

480 3 phase is similar to 220 single phase. With 220, you have 2 lines with 110 volts each. With 480 3 phase, you have 3 lines with 277. When metering from 1 leg to ground, you should see 277. When metering 1 leg to another, you should have 480.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Back in the day I swapped out breakers in live panels. Seemed OK then. Now, well, not so bright.

I still do that. Bad idea?

Oh, I've done that. Just won't grab a 480 fuse bare handed when one lug is still hot. My most hair raising experience was putting in a 200 amp bus plug in live.

Not only is it dangerous but it violates the NFPA arc flash and shock hazard requirements. Guys used to do that stuff a lot back in the day. But it's frowned upon now.

Top Bottom