• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'd LOVE to do this kind of work... But I can't afford to put the job/family on hold to get the training. I'd be starting from almost scratch, too.

And in the vein of this thread: I'm a dude lacking in skills. I don't even know how to switch out the broken dimmer switch in our kitchen. :(

At least you realize it and have some desire to learn a few. That's a big first step.

That is how you get started. In these things Google can be your friend. Do you have a buddy with any skills. You have to start somewhere.

Agreed. This is pretty straight forward and would lend itself to learning via youtube vid or some DIY research at the local HW store.

Better yet, go find yourself an old man in the neighborhood.

A Fine and Pleasant Misery - Patrick F. McManus - Google Books

The Theory and Application of Old Men is a great chapter in that book.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Just watch a video on Youtube. :D

I had a buddy send me a "how to do this" For Dummies link on facebook...

Still intimidating to me. Seriously - electricity scares me. I don't even know what I don't know - but I do know that ignorance of electricity can get a feller ded in a hurry. Even puny 110v in a kitchen rotary dimmer switch.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.

Still intimidating to me. Seriously - electricity scares me. I don't even know what I don't know - but I do know that ignorance of electricity can get a feller ded in a hurry. Even puny 110v in a kitchen rotary dimmer switch.

PM me if you need any help with it.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

You'll do fine. Kill the circuit at the breaker/fuse box. Pull the cover and the dimmer. Take a picture of the connections so you have something to fall back on and then wire the new switch like the old one.

You got this.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You'll do fine. Kill the circuit at the breaker/fuse box. Pull the cover and the dimmer. Take a picture of the connections so you have something to fall back on and then wire the new switch like the old one.

You got this.

I've detail stripped a Walther P22, both a Ruger 10/22 and 22/45, and an M&P 9FS (and reassembled all of them...)... You'd think this would be a piece of cake, no?

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood

i have been hit by a 110 a few times and it's not that bad. I have never replaced a dimmer switch but have a few light switches and it's easy. Dimmer switch can't be too different.
    Reading this thread and the one I started I will admit there are many "guy" things that I do not know. Nothing wrong with that, the extent of my dad teaching me something as a kid was getting him another beer and getting cursed out for not being psychic. Many of us did not have anybody to teach us the things a parent should. I have however taught myself how to do a lot and I have learned a bunch by not being afraid to ask questions.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I've detail stripped a Walther P22, both a Ruger 10/22 and 22/45, and an M&P 9FS (and reassembled all of them...)... You'd think this would be a piece of cake, no?

I think I could do an appendectomy with a good youtube video and a half hour to think about it. I still struggle with my 22/45 though. LOL

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    i have been hit by a 110 a few times and it's not that bad. I have never replaced a dimmer switch but have a few light switches and it's easy. Dimmer switch can't be too different.
    Reading this thread and the one I started I will admit there are many "guy" things that I do not know. Nothing wrong with that, the extent of my dad teaching me something as a kid was getting him another beer and getting cursed out for not being psychic. Many of us did not have anybody to teach us the things a parent should. I have however taught myself how to do a lot and I have learned a bunch by not being afraid to ask questions.

How are you going to learn if you don't ask questions? You've already figured out half the battle.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Easy job. Like was said, kill the power.

Funny story for you...

Years ago (back when pagers were still a thing), I worked HVAC. We were finishing up an install and I had to wire it into the main panel. Problem was, there was a big puddle of water that I had to stand in. I stepped into the puddle, stuck my screwdriver into the panel to attach the ground wire, and I feel this vibration. I screamed (yes, like a girl), threw my screwdriver across the garage, and dove out of the water. I cleaned my soiled pants, realized what had happened, called my wife and said, "Don't you ever page me when I'm wiring an electrical panel!"

I've been hit by 110 countless times, and I've been hit by 220. Lol, that was kind of funny too. I was moving my dryer. I went out to the panel, turned off the breaker marked dryer, and went in and started pulling the wire. I kept brushing against the wire and kept thinking, "man, that wire is sharp!" I got the wire where I needed it, pulled out my wire cutters, start cutting, and got practically blinded by the flash. Turns out, the breaker marked dryer was actually for my welder.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Funny story for you...

Years ago (back when pagers were still a thing), I worked HVAC. We were finishing up an install and I had to wire it into the main panel. Problem was, there was a big puddle of water that I had to stand in. I stepped into the puddle, stuck my screwdriver into the panel to attach the ground wire, and I feel this vibration. I screamed (yes, like a girl), threw my screwdriver across the garage, and dove out of the water. I cleaned my soiled pants, realized what had happened, called my wife and said, "Don't you ever page me when I'm wiring an electrical panel!"

Been there. Done that.

I was too busy flailing like a beach umbrella in a hurricane to squeal like a little girl though.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood

Funny story for you...

LMAO

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    i work with college age students. at one point we had a password that they needed to know that had the words "ball bearing" in the pass phrase. some of the students thought that this was very rude and wanted to know why anyone would use such a phrase in a school setting. For one thing they confused 'bearing" with "baring" secondly when i asked them if they had ever taken apart a roller skate or a bicycle hub they were clueless
    I realized that i must be getting really old

Top Bottom