• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Not to get off-track, but my battery requires FOUR DIFFERENT TOOLS to remove and replace it. Makes no sense. Still, it beats my mom's old car. To change the headlight, you had to remove the entire front bumper and grill. It was a major production and usually took at least an hour.

It was a Honda, wasn't it?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I was lucky enough to be able to take shop and then building trades in high school. I use what I learned in those classes almost every day.

Car stuff I learned with my dad and friends. We didn't have a project car, but we did have a car old enough it was a project keeping her up and running. Also learned some "new" words... :)

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Unfortunately today very few DAD's teach the boys to be men. A lot don't even have a man in thier life so we have to understand that the either become "MetroSexuals" or learn on thier own. Thanks for doing your part.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I dont think that its just about the father figure alone.... but more along the lines of discipline...(not getting everything you want or ask for).

I learned the value of a dollar when I had to de-tassel corn all summer to buy a new stereo...I learned most things the hard way(the good way).

I remember being about 12 years old and for Christmas I got a used bicycle and an inexpensive socket set, two inner tubes, and a different seat.

I wanted a cool bike that we couldnt afford, so I learned to make what I wanted out of what I have.

Growing up there was alot of time without a father figure, but I was always encouraged to be active and "out and about"....I never sat on my ass playing nintendo and we didnt have a computer...or air conditioning(Im 27).

My dad let me "help" and watch him fix things, I quickly learned how hard it was to carry a bundle of shingles up a 20 foot ladder in 90 degree heat....he never "taught" me...but I learned.

As a kid i built "forts", ramps, and tree houses...and later in life I learned to fix cars because I had to have transportation. That cheap socket set came in handy a lot.

My wife used to complain about me spending so much time fixing our cars cause we could have a "shop" do it...until I told her to go get an estimate.
    She realized that $600 for struts was expensive and has learned to appreciate my scarred, calloused hands.

My kids wont have Iphones, or gaming systems, or techno do dads and gizmos...they'll get rope, tape, tools, and wisdom...maybe guns.

I love watching Gran Torino for many reasons...but some day I hope to be able to impart some knowledge to a less fortunate youth...as clint eastwoods character did.

Stop making you kids lives "easier" more "convenient" at the moment...so their lives can be more convenient and easy later in life.

My fingernails are always dirty, my hands are always rough, and my joints creek and ache, but I wear it all as a badge of honor because my college education didnt do diddly-squat for me...and my "less fortunate" childhood has made me a man.

God bless
    -Shred

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Problem with home ec and shop is that they aren't requirements everywhere anymore. Kids can just take a language class and bypass any fundamental skills. I think male and female students should have to take both. That way boys can learn to cook (instead of just microwave and burn on a grill) and girls will have basic auto, carpentry, trade skills (so they don't have to rely on us so much).

Though, on second though my wife thinks I'm a master mechanic, electrician, carpenter, ect. and if she knew how to do what I can she might not need me anymore...

Shop for boys and home ec. for girls!!!!!
    Like this idea.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I dont think that its just about the father figure alone.... but more along the lines of discipline...(not getting everything you want or ask for).

I learned the value of a dollar when I had to de-tassel corn all summer to buy a new stereo...I learned most things the hard way(the good way).

I remember being about 12 years old and for Christmas I got a used bicycle and an inexpensive socket set, two inner tubes, and a different seat.

I wanted a cool bike that we couldnt afford, so I learned to make what I wanted out of what I have.

Growing up there was alot of time without a father figure, but I was always encouraged to be active and "out and about"....I never sat on my ass playing nintendo and we didnt have a computer...or air conditioning(Im 27).

My dad let me "help" and watch him fix things, I quickly learned how hard it was to carry a bundle of shingles up a 20 foot ladder in 90 degree heat....he never "taught" me...but I learned.

As a kid i built "forts", ramps, and tree houses...and later in life I learned to fix cars because I had to have transportation. That cheap socket set came in handy a lot.

My wife used to complain about me spending so much time fixing our cars cause we could have a "shop" do it...until I told her to go get an estimate.
    She realized that $600 for struts was expensive and has learned to appreciate my scarred, calloused hands.

My kids wont have Iphones, or gaming systems, or techno do dads and gizmos...they'll get rope, tape, tools, and wisdom...maybe guns.

I love watching Gran Torino for many reasons...but some day I hope to be able to impart some knowledge to a less fortunate youth...as clint eastwoods character did.

Stop making you kids lives "easier" more "convenient" at the moment...so their lives can be more convenient and easy later in life.

My fingernails are always dirty, my hands are always rough, and my joints creek and ache, but I wear it all as a badge of honor because my college education didnt do diddly-squat for me...and my "less fortunate" childhood has made me a man.

God bless
    -Shred

Thats how I am and damn proud of it and Im 23. I feel that we are the few lucky ones in our generation. Sadly I feel it will get worse. My younger brother who is 18 has no interest in driving and even lacks the motor skills to do it. He feels that people will do everything for him. He gets lost if after he gets to the end of my parents street. My youngest sibling has no hope she is 11. I grew up poor along with my brother but my sister is growing up when my parents have money. she sends me her xmas list and it says laptop Iphone Ipod etc etc and she has never had to earn a thing and either has my brother. Ive EARNED everything I own and Im proud of it. Ive never had a cell phone from my parents or anything like that and thats how it should be. If I ever reproduce that is how my child will grow up as well

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    Maybe parents should get their kids demonstrate the ability to safely do a few basic auto maintenance checks such as change a tire, check and change a fuse, jump a battery, and at least check the oil before letting them get their license.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Unfortunately today very few DAD's teach the boys to be men. A lot don't even have a man in thier life so we have to understand that the either become "MetroSexuals" or learn on thier own. Thanks for doing your part.

Ehh...I've got some very metro friends but every single one of them is into cars and constructions (at least as far as home improvement/maintenance). I give them crap about their primping but just because they're really into how they look doesn't mean they're not into "manly" things. I went to school for automotive technology (concentrated mainly on performance engine builds) and we had plenty of females that were quality mechanics/builders. It has nothing to do with being metrosexual or "manly", just the sheer amount of people that have never tried learning about how to use tools properly.

Hanen42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Ossian
    When I went to basic training I figured this all out when I had to show half of my platoon how to do their laundry...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seriously, how many kids have to learn anything about tools. Some have an interest some do a few things on their bikes etc. but really, how many. Damn few these days. Cars run a lot longer and require less maint. than ever. Oil is changed at the jiffy lube or a dealership for free on a warranty. Tires are better than ever. I have fewer flats and tire related issues with today's product. Auto Zone and Advance auto will test your Batt. and install a new one on the spot for you. Radiator failures are rare unless you are driving a wreck or something close to 200,00 with no maint. on it. Tune ups are 100,000 miles and not totally needed even then. My 97 Yukon rolled 127,000 before it needed attention. Things do not break like they used to.
    Life has gotten easier and folks are enjoying that. Cant fully blame them but if things get rough most will be lost.
    My kids all grew up with tools in their hands. We had boats, race cars, motorcycles and worn out everything at some point. Son can pull a motor and strip it to the block by himself. Daughter has helped and understands. 5 year old Granddaughter understands tools and their uses even now. She loves being in the shop with me. Most kids do not get this. I-Pods, X-Box and such are the new tools they use.
    I learned my skills from anyone that would teach me. If the bike broke, I had to fix it. Dad lacked the skills or initiative so Uncles, locals and anyone available taught me. Not much of that going on today. It is a new world. Not sure how all this will play out.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    My step-father raised me with the mindset of "if you want to use it, you have to know how to operate AND fix it". I had to know how to learn gun safety and cleaning before I was allowed to shoot. I had to restore, do all of the maintenance on, and learn to drive (to his satisfaction) my first car. If I wanted a tree house, he taught me carpentry skills, and how to make things structurally sound, and square, instead of just throwing up a few sheets of tin or plywood. When I got a dog I had to pick up it's excrement, trim it's nails, walk it, feed it, ect. When I wanted to hunt I had to learn to field dress and butcher. People only learn half of a process now. If I do something I want to know it inside and out. So many are satisfied with the end result that they fail to appreciate the what it entails. My step-father made me the well rounded (Well, not physically rounded, that's the fault of my culinary arts degree) individual I am today, and there's not much better a gift that a father figure can give. Kids now think it's cruel to be taught things and not just have it handed to them... my kids (my wife is pregnant with our first) are going to hate me for making them learn (like I did my step-dad at first), but in the end they'll have the survival skills they need to be confident in this world that's falling into ruin.

Same here.

I had to learn all the outdoors stuff on my own though. Dad was a helpful mentor (not really a teacher) when it came to working with my hands.

My wife thinks it is cruel to make a kid work to pay for their car, insurance, gas, etc. :dunno:

She is a total daddy's girl.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Not to get off-track, but my battery requires FOUR DIFFERENT TOOLS to remove and replace it. Makes no sense. Still, it beats my mom's old car. To change the headlight, you had to remove the entire front bumper and grill. It was a major production and usually took at least an hour.

sounds like my wifes honda accord. that is to replace the the whole headlight and not just the bulb.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have some pics of my boy (4 y/o) under the car with me changing oil, and wearing a welding helmet while I melted some angle iron.

I have high hopes for him. He didn't last very long on either project, but at least he was out there. I'll let him burn some wire next year if he wants to. He just likes to watch right now.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Same here.

I had to learn all the outdoors stuff on my own though. Dad was a helpful mentor (not really a teacher) when it came to working with my hands.

My wife thinks it is cruel to make a kid work to pay for their car, insurance, gas, etc. :dunno:

She is a total daddy's girl.

I was 18 and paid my own gas, car, insurance, up keep, cell phone bill etc. Not hard to do when you want something.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Just a question: Why didn't you get involved? Why not take 15 or so minutes to show this kid what it takes to change a battery? Random acts of kindness can sometimes do more for kids like this than anything else. Also it probably would have left more of an impression on him than just how to change a car battery. I'm not condemning you friend, just pointing out that sometimes it does take a village to raise a child. :twocents:

I guess I didn't want to come off as jerk or some pushy know it all. I'm only a few years older than him. If he was my neighbor or co-worker I would have gladly helped out and shown him how to do it. I even considered if I had my tools in my truck I could have offered to help him with it in the parking lot, but I was in my wife's car.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I was 18 and paid my own gas, car, insurance, up keep, cell phone bill etc. Not hard to do when you want something.

That is the way I see it. My oldest son bought his own truck, insured it , and maintains it. He also has his own cell phone plan and pays for it. He does not have a high paying job, but he works faithfully and does all the overtime he can get.

My youngest son graduates this year. He wants to go to MIT. I have told both boys since they were small that college is at their own expense (work hard for a scholarship). I paid my own way( I grew up in a large family on a dairy farm) and I believe it is a good lesson for them as well. Don't think many families can foot the college bill these days.

Letting kids get a taste of the real world while they are still at home is, in my estimation, a valuable lesson.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    That is the way I see it. My oldest son bought his own truck, insured it , and maintains it. He also has his own cell phone plan and pays for it. He does not have a high paying job, but he works faithfully and does all the overtime he can get.

My youngest son graduates this year. He wants to go to MIT. I have told both boys since they were small that college is at their own expense (work hard for a scholarship). I paid my own way( I grew up in a large family on a dairy farm) and I believe it is a good lesson for them as well. Don't think many families can foot the college bill these days.

Letting kids get a taste of the real world while they are still at home is, in my estimation, a valuable lesson.

:yesway:

Top Bottom