• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Yea because you are so much better than me because you are a cop. Sheesh... maybe your head is just a wee bit too big...
    Slow your roll, turbo. I was just agreeing with you. Some people... you just can't make them happy.

You've been asked several times what experience, training or qualifications you have concerning the issue you commented on. You've yet to provide a response.

For the record, I'm not better than anyone. I just know when to keep my trap shut concerning things I know nothing about. Unless I'm asking questions, attempting to learn something. Sometimes I'm successful, sometimes I'm not.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

-Abraham Lincoln

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Doesn't seem like all the awesome training and tacticool gear helped the LA LE in their decision making or outcome, just in case anyone is still interested in the original post subject.
    We are human after all. Prone to the same shortcomings, poor decision making, and mistakes that the rest of humanity suffers from.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    We are human after all. Prone to the same shortcomings, poor decision making, and mistakes that the rest of humanity suffers from.

I don't think there's anyone out there who expects police to be flawless individuals.

Where the difference comes in is the level of harm they can do to another individual, wrongly, and the disproportionate protection for their mistakes under law. Adding to that, the level of defense they receive from fellow police officers even when they were clearly in the wrong.

Where as the general public is allowed to make mistakes, but instead of being defended for their mistakes, they're told that jail time or their life is the price of their mistake. For example "He/She disobeyed the law, therefor he/she deserved what ever happened to them."*

It breeds a team mindset of "Us vs Them." Rightfully so, considering the above.

(*Yes, I'm aware some police will hand out a warning instead of a ticket for violating some traffic law, but I'm talking about much more serious things.)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I don't think there's anyone out there who expects police to be flawless individuals.

Where the difference comes in is the level of harm they can do to another individual, wrongly, and the disproportionate protection for their mistakes under law. Adding to that, the level of defense they receive from fellow police officers even when they were clearly in the wrong.

Where as the general public is allowed to make mistakes, but instead of being defended for their mistakes, they're told that jail time or their life is the price of their mistake. For example "He/She disobeyed the law, therefor he/she deserved what ever happened to them."*

It breeds a team mindset of "Us vs Them." Rightfully so, considering the above.

(*Yes, I'm aware some police will hand out a warning instead of a ticket for violating some traffic law, but I'm talking about much more serious things.)
    Yes, the stakes are higher but the that does not change the condition. We test for this but officers are only as good as their as their vetting and their leadership. Sadly, poor leadership is probably the single greatest factor in poor officer performance and decision making. We are a team, we CANNOT do this job alone, our lives depend on the person next to us. As such we tend to reserve judgment as long as we can knowing that the facts of a case rarely match the facts in the news. Sometimes its denial as well. VERY FEW officers will stand behind a fellow officer who is clearly in the wrong. The "us v. them" goes both ways.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I can remember a time (20-25 years ago) when the then-Indianapolis Police Department made the news pretty regularly for behavior ranging from unacceptable to clearly criminal (like knocking off drug dealers and taking their drugs and cash both). That stopped happening. This tells me that the department made a sufficient effort to take out its own trash, which is something I respect and appreciate very much. It tells me that the 'blue wall' is not an invincible bogeyman. I am also well aware that this is not a universal position on internal behavior among all PDs. It does, however, lead me back to questioning why we are taking officers from a department which has put great efforts into running a clean operation and swinging at them like pinatas rather than focusing on those who need correction and/or removal from law enforcement. I would much rather reserve the harsh end of my attention for those who deserve it.

This gives me an idea. More details later...

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I can remember a time (20-25 years ago) when the then-Indianapolis Police Department made the news pretty regularly for behavior ranging from unacceptable to clearly criminal (like knocking off drug dealers and taking their drugs and cash both). That stopped happening. This tells me that the department made a sufficient effort to take out its own trash, which is something I respect and appreciate very much. It tells me that the 'blue wall' is not an invincible bogeyman. I am also well aware that this is not a universal position on internal behavior among all PDs. It does, however, lead me back to questioning why we are taking officers from a department which has put great efforts into running a clean operation and swinging at them like pinatas rather than focusing on those who need correction and/or removal from law enforcement. I would much rather reserve the harsh end of my attention for those who deserve it.

This gives me an idea. More details later...

Tagged

ZXLTT.gif

Last edited:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Well, I've read through the thread, looked at the picture several times. I may be slower than most, but I can now clearly see the doosh :n00b:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Yes, the stakes are higher but the that does not change the condition. We test for this but officers are only as good as their as their vetting and their leadership. Sadly, poor leadership is probably the single greatest factor in poor officer performance and decision making. We are a team, we CANNOT do this job alone, our lives depend on the person next to us. As such we tend to reserve judgment as long as we can knowing that the facts of a case rarely match the facts in the news. Sometimes its denial as well. VERY FEW officers will stand behind a fellow officer who is clearly in the wrong. The "us v. them" goes both ways.

Hmmm, seems more than a "very few" officers stood behind Bisard who was clearly in the wrong. Also the FOP wasted $250K on his defense.

Too bad too, I've always donated to the local FOP's to support them. I won't send anymore $$ to the Indianapolis FOP (I still give to the Indiana State FOP).

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Hmmm, seems more than a "very few" officers stood behind Bisard who was clearly in the wrong. Also the FOP wasted $250K on his defense.

Too bad too, I've always donated to the local FOP's to support them. I won't send anymore $$ to the Indianapolis FOP (I still give to the Indiana State FOP).
    I've gone over this at length in previous posts. Many of us knew Dave, hung out with him, and worked with him. No one saw this coming and it was hard to imagine. Those at the scene that dealt with Dave added to our doubt based on their observations. It was easy for us to believe there was a mistake in the BAC. Sadly, we were proven wrong and we pulled our support. The money from the legal defense fund comes 100% out of our own pockets. At the risk of sounding rude...it really doesn't bother me with whom you do or do not support. Its a free country.

Top Bottom