• ...and so much more!
  • MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Good humor, JAL :):.... but bayonets are so BIG.

I prefer a sentry removal tool that fits in my pocket, and presents right now, due to the Emerson wave opener.
    Therefore, my new Italian karambit. Just by looking at it, rhino will have to pull out some band-aids !

i-RPcn5p8-L.jpg

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Good humor, JAL :):.... but bayonets are so BIG.

I prefer a sentry removal tool that fits in my pocket, and presents right now, due to the Emerson wave opener.
    Therefore, my new Italian karambit. Just by looking at it, rhino will have to pull out some band-aids !

[photo deleted]
    Hoping he has a decent supply of them (band-aids)

Bayonets big? Not compared to these

37074978761_41563b5083_b.jpg

M1902 light cavalry saber. This one is not ceremonial, but a real battle saber with a very lethal edge. What most do not know is only the lower half to third of the blade is sharpened. On this one you can see where the transition is and it's approximately the lower 40%. The reason for this is the upper part is used for parrying. A sharpened edge on the upper part of the blade would be easily chipped creating a weak spot and the blade would eventually break. It's primarily a thrusting weapon, and slashing with it would employ the lower part of the blade, especially when mounted.

Cavalry was obsolete by the end of WWI. In that era, "light" vs "heavy" had nothing to do with the saber itself, but with the size and weight of the horses and riders. Light cavalry were more agile and could move faster for screening and scouting. Heavy cavalry were used more for overrunning infantry in the open, or occasionally poorly defended artillery batteries. Before that, when cavalry were armored, it also referred to how heavily they were armored. Ceremonial sabers tend to be shorter and lighter. Real battle sabers like this one are quite noticeably heavier.

John

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I see what you mean ..... those are really BIG
    (thanks for the history lesson, and sharing a view of your sabers ... very interesting) :yesway:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Current Swiss and German Army Utility Knives

The Soldier 2008 has been issued by the Swiss Army to all of their enlisted soldiers since 2009. It's basically a one-hand 111mm Victorinox Trekker with custom Swiss Army nylon scales that have the Swiss Cross on them. They're noticeably bigger than the ubiquitous 91mm red Cellidor scaled "Swiss Army" Officer's knives. Unlike their predecessor, these have liner locks on the main blade and large flat tip screwdriver. There is no toothpick or tweezers which is standard fare for the various countries that buy these for their military with custom scales on them. Soldiers very quickly lose the toothpicks and tweezers. Although it's one-hand with a thumb hole, there is NO spring assist. In addition there's no pocket clip either, which is useless for a soldier (one of the easiest ways I know of for a solider to lose one in the field). Victorinox makes a MOLLE holster for them. Note that these are utility knives. They're not designed or intended for CQB, for which the Swiss Army still issues bayonets and other fixed blade knives as needed. The wood saw on these is wickedly sharp and will cut through small tree branches very quickly. In a fight it would do incredibly ugly damage slashing an adversary with it, but they don't lock.

36391706354_18033da7de_b.jpg

As with all of the knives issued to the Swiss Army's enlisted soldiers, and unlike all of Victorinox's civilian knives, the year of manufacture is stamped on the main blade tang. This one was made last year in 2016. Civilians can buy these, but it typically requires buying it from a seller in Switzerland who can purchase them direct from Victorinox, and then importing it (the postage isn't cheap).

36414568733_4e12edaea6_b.jpg

The German Army replaced their 1976-2002 standard issue utility knife in 2003, with essentially the same "Trekker" as the Swiss did six years later. Note the nylon scales are plain OD with the German Army Adler molded into them, without the black embossing. As with the Swiss issue, there is no toothpick or tweezers. The original of these didn't have as high a profile lock release as the current ones and the thumb hole was more elliptical. This changed in 2007 to what you see here. Note that this knife is NOT legal to carry in Germany as its main blade is both one-hand opening and locking. It's only legal for German Army soldiers when performing military duties that require the carry and use (i.e. you cannot carry it in civilian clothes or in a dress uniform in public). This has resulted in the occasional arrest of German Army reservists who leave it in the field gear they take home with them.

37086234871_3cf99453d0_b.jpg

The civilian "One Hand Trekker" was introduced by Victorinox in 2003 at the same time they started making them for the German Army.

John

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I took one of those swiss army "soldier" pocket knives to the Pathfinder school for their basic class. It's an outstanding pocket knife for every real and practical purpose a pocket knife would be worn or used. In my opinion, it's pretty hard to beat a good swiss army knife if you're going to actually use your knife.

Last week, I did a little adventure that contained over 100 miles between opening water kayaking and backpacking along trails that were nasty and not maintained at all. I had my swiss army fieldmaster, and used the small blade, saw blade, scissors, and Phillips head screwdriver. Excellent piece of gear that I wouldn't want to go to the woods without.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Do you take only the SAK, or do you take the SAK in addition to other blades?

I realize I could do 99% of knife-related tasks with an SAK, but it's less fun to have only one knife.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Do you take only the SAK, or do you take the SAK in addition to other blades?

I realize I could do 99% of knife-related tasks with an SAK, but it's less fun to have only one knife.

On the backpacking portion I only took the SAK. I kept a 9" Jeff White custom knife and a bahco folding saw in the kayak, just in case I needed to split some firewood. Honestly though, I really didn't feel under equipped without a big fixed blade on my hip. I keep a spreadsheet of literally every single item I take with me on any overnight adventure and I review it making notes on what I used vs what I didn't use. The big heavy macho fixed blades just rarely get used for anything other than goofing around which is probably what I shouldn't be doing so far from home in the woods, lol.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I took one of those swiss army "soldier" pocket knives to the Pathfinder school for their basic class. It's an outstanding pocket knife for every real and practical purpose a pocket knife would be worn or used. In my opinion, it's pretty hard to beat a good swiss army knife if you're going to actually use your knife.

Last week, I did a little adventure that contained over 100 miles between opening water kayaking and backpacking along trails that were nasty and not maintained at all. I had my swiss army fieldmaster, and used the small blade, saw blade, scissors, and Phillips head screwdriver. Excellent piece of gear that I wouldn't want to go to the woods without.

The Fieldmaster is one of their most versatile in current production for field use without getting into too many layers; it's very pocket friendly. Identical to a Huntsman except in place of the corkscrew it has a Phillips on the back side, which has much greater utility in the field. Another way to think of it is a Super Tinker with a wood saw layer added. There are several methods of opening corked wine bottles without a corkscrew or breaking the bottle. In one of their model naming decisions that leaves SAK collectors baffled, the "BSA Huntsman" isn't a Huntsman, it's a Fieldmaster with BSA logos on its scales.

7150hZ3nJRL._SL1200_.jpg

The ideal for me in the field has always been the closely related Woodsman which was discontinued years ago. It has one additional layer with a magnifier opposite an in-line Phillips on the top side, which allows the traditional corkscrew on the back side. Why Victorinox quit making them long ago still mystifies me. They're rather rare now. Used ones in excellent condition get scooped up quickly for a premium when they appear on ePrey. Carried it for nearly two decades in the US Army along with the Buck 110. One of several models they should bring back. They'd sell them by the truck load. The closest to it now is the current Fieldmaster and it's what I would buy today out of their current production for field use.

30142586523_fb2d1e38c7_b.jpg

John

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    On the backpacking portion I only took the SAK. I kept a 9" Jeff White custom knife and a bahco folding saw in the kayak, just in case I needed to split some firewood. Honestly though, I really didn't feel under equipped without a big fixed blade on my hip. I keep a spreadsheet of literally every single item I take with me on any overnight adventure and I review it making notes on what I used vs what I didn't use. The big heavy macho fixed blades just rarely get used for anything other than goofing around which is probably what I shouldn't be doing so far from home in the woods, lol.

During a 20 year US Army career I carried a Woodsman, Buck 110 and M7 bayonet on the battle rattle. The Woodsman was used much more often than the Buck 110, and that's an understatement. A P38 is great, but the SAK can opener is easier and much faster (I date back to C-rats in the first third of my career). It was used to fix and fabricate more field expedient stuff than I could begin to remember. The Buck 110 was used occasionally when its bigger and sturdier blade was needed, usually for cutting heavy rope, canvas, etc. M7 use was rare, but its primary purpose wasn't for utility use. Did use it on a couple occasions for batoning which would ruin a folder. On one memorable occasion we fabricated some wood tent pegs (a war story for another time). After the service I've carried the Woodsman and Buck 110 in the field and the Woodsman still gets 90% or more of the use. I might want a M9 or OKC-3S fixed blade in the wilderness, but wouldn't feel naked without it if were left at home. Weight and space are at a premium when backpacking or kayaking.

John

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    When I bought my fieldmaster I basically said I wanted a saw, a blade, scissors, and a couple tools to get me by in just about any situation. I've got nothing against drinking wine, but it's not my thing so a Phillips head screwdriver just made so much more sense. If I had a chance to build my own custom I'd add the magnifying glass and pliers.

Back in my very brief army days, I deployed and took a Kabar D2 and in the nylon pouch I kept a gerber multitool. I had a Emerson P-sark in my pocket also, and while I used everything the item that was used the absolute most was the multitool. I date back to full sized M16's with iron sights and BDU's. :)

For the backpacking and really anything outdoorsy I really like my SAK. So many different variations of SAK's that there's a perfect one for everyone.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Oy! The idea of having only one knife (regardless of where I am) gives me the heebie jeebies!

The ideal for me in the field has always been the closely related Woodsman which was discontinued years ago. It has one additional layer with a magnifier opposite an in-line Phillips on the top side, which allows the traditional corkscrew on the back side. Why Victorinox quit making them long ago still mystifies me. They're rather rare now. Used ones in excellent condition get scooped up quickly for a premium when they appear on ePrey. Carried it for nearly two decades in the US Army along with the Buck 110. One of several models they should bring back. They'd sell them by the truck load. The closest to it now is the current Fieldmaster and it's what I would buy today out of their current production for field use.

The Woodsman is one that I should have acquired when I had the chance. I'd like to see a similar knife with the file/hacksaw either added or preferably in the lieu of the scissors on either the Fieldmaster or a revival of the Woodsman. I rarely use SAK scissors, but I use a file frequently.

During a 20 year US Army career I carried a Woodsman, Buck 110 and M7 bayonet on the battle rattle. The Woodsman was used much more often than the Buck 110, and that's an understatement. A P38 is great, but the SAK can opener is easier and much faster (I date back to C-rats in the first third of my career). It was used to fix and fabricate more field expedient stuff than I could begin to remember. The Buck 110 was used occasionally when its bigger and sturdier blade was needed, usually for cutting heavy rope, canvas, etc. M7 use was rare, but its primary purpose wasn't for utility use. Did use it on a couple occasions for batoning which would ruin a folder. On one memorable occasion we fabricated some wood tent pegs (a war story for another time). After the service I've carried the Woodsman and Buck 110 in the field and the Woodsman still gets 90% or more of the use. I might want a M9 or OKC-3S fixed blade in the wilderness, but wouldn't feel naked without it if were left at home. Weight and space are at a premium when backpacking or kayaking.

John

The Victorinox can opener is a very efficient tool. I lived in California for four years with only my SAK as a can opener by preference. I don't open many cans anymore, but when I do I use an SAK unless there is a decent electric opener handy.

When I bought my fieldmaster I basically said I wanted a saw, a blade, scissors, and a couple tools to get me by in just about any situation. I've got nothing against drinking wine, but it's not my thing so a Phillips head screwdriver just made so much more sense. If I had a chance to build my own custom I'd add the magnifying glass and pliers.

Back in my very brief army days, I deployed and took a Kabar D2 and in the nylon pouch I kept a gerber multitool. I had a Emerson P-sark in my pocket also, and while I used everything the item that was used the absolute most was the multitool. I date back to full sized M16's with iron sights and BDU's. :)

For the backpacking and really anything outdoorsy I really like my SAK. So many different variations of SAK's that there's a perfect one for everyone.

I wonder if using an SAK/multi-tool in preference to a bigger knife (for tasks that either can do) is a personality thing. I always have some kind of SAK or multi-tool with me, but I rarely use the knife on them.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I wonder if using an SAK/multi-tool in preference to a bigger knife (for tasks that either can do) is a personality thing. I always have some kind of SAK or multi-tool with me, but I rarely use the knife on them.

I can' really claim to have any great wisdom or wonderful worldly experience that enlightened me on pocket knives, just going through life has led me back to a swiss army knife. I like to think I'm getting older and wiser, but one of my pet peeves is not having the right tool for the job. I've used and carried plenty of big bad tough guy single blade knives, but ultimately needed a screwdriver, or tweezers or for some other non cutting use my pocket knife would fall short. The swiss army knife gives me the versatility to get through just about anything.

Last week my knife cut down a very nice and solid walking stick that I really needed to get down trails. The scissors opened up a lot of blisters that needed to drain out. The little blade came in handy cleaning up the walking stick and getting food packages open. The Phillips head tightened up some screws getting loose on the kayak. The twessors removed a splinter. For a couple ounces that disappears in a pocket you just can't really beat that kind of versatility. My titanium lined, quick opening $200 Emerson couldn't have done all of that, but it could have won the macho chest thumping tests and I could pictures of it on the internet and people would drool on their keyboards over it, lol.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've done a lot cutting of stuff with one of these, a Schrade Old Timer 8OT. The photo isn't mine, but I have owned several starting in the early 1980s.

used-schrade-old-timer-8ot-usa-made-brown-handle-3-blade-stockman-knife-3f52ec007a757bfd37ad1cfc4c4e0e0e.jpg

I gave myself a Case large stockman CV with the brown synthetic scales as a college graduation present in 1987. I'd been admiring it in the hardware store since I was in high school. When it was new, it looked like this:

13004.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since it's a picture thread and all.....
    20170921_091339.jpg
    Here's ole trusty that got me through a week in the wild. I can't say enough good things about it.

I'd really like to know the exact blade steel because that steel was very easy to get a super sharp edge on, and after a week of getting soaked a couple times daily it never got it's first spec of rust. I'd like to see what fixed blade options are out there in this particular steel.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for the picture of your trusted friend, sir!

I don't know what steel Victorinox uses, but it works (including their heat treatment). It's definitely a better combination than what Wenger used on most models before Victorinox acquired them. It's partially because the blades are so thin, but it's really easy to get an SAK blade sharp enough to use to shave your face the same way you would with a straight razor. I don't do it anymore because polished edges lose slicing ability in fibrous materials, but I used to finsh my SAKs with a hard, black Arkansas stone.

Top Bottom