Kids playing outside? Not anymore - Take them into custody, officer.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Using the graphic in that article, I created this image:
    Age%20Home%20Alone.png

I find it interesting that in three cases, neighboring states have vastly different ages: Mississippi vs Georgia, Delaware and Maryland, and most strikingly, Colorado vs. Kansas.
    Very few have actual law on the subject, but those that do are widely varied in their definitions of "old enough".

I have to ask: Are six-, seven-, eight-, nine-, ten-, and eleven-year-olds so different when one crosses the border from KS to CO, that they can no longer be trusted alone? I will postulate that perhaps it is not an issue with a difference in the children, but rather in the governmental recognition that it is parents, not bureaucrats, who best know when a child is ready for this level of responsibility.

Blessings,
    Bill

At the age of 11 I was in charge of my 4 siblings from the school doors to home and until the parental units arrived.
    Averaged an hour and a half a day but I was in charge.
    I never lost any of them.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've set a minimum age kids can be left home alone in Houghmade Meadows. It's whatever age my wife and I damn well determine it to be.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Using the graphic in that article, I created this image:
    Age%20Home%20Alone.png

I find it interesting that in three cases, neighboring states have vastly different ages: Mississippi vs Georgia, Delaware and Maryland, and most strikingly, Colorado vs. Kansas.
    Very few have actual law on the subject, but those that do are widely varied in their definitions of "old enough".

I have to ask: Are six-, seven-, eight-, nine-, ten-, and eleven-year-olds so different when one crosses the border from KS to CO, that they can no longer be trusted alone? I will postulate that perhaps it is not an issue with a difference in the children, but rather in the governmental recognition that it is parents, not bureaucrats, who best know when a child is ready for this level of responsibility.

Blessings,
    Bill

Don't worry. I'm sure that like the drinking age, the Feds will jump in and make the most restrictive rules to be the law nationwide.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/mother-charged-making-children-walk-school-155247262.html

Mother charged after making children to walk to school

The Chattanooga Times Free-Press (Marion County mother charged with neglect for making children walk to school | Times Free Press ) reports that 32-year-old Lisa Marie Palmer was charged after authorities found her driving ahead of her daughters as she made them walk to school.

The article leads me to believe these aren't the parents you want as "parents rights" poster children.

Top Bottom