• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Is anything harder than kicking nicotine? Seriously. This is ridiculous.

The history: I smoked Marlboro Red's from the age of 15 until I was 19. I switched to dipping Kodiak to quit smoking and have done that until a couple months ago (20 years). I have been chewing Nicorette and dipping for about a year now. I've quit a few times but I always end up going back.

I decided about 10 days ago that I was going to quit. The next morning I got up at 6am and made it to 9:30am before getting a fix. That day I consumed probably 15% of what I would have normally consumed.

The next day I made it to noon and probably consumed 10% of my normal amount for the day.

I had several cards of the Nicorette and decided that if it was laying around I would always be tempted so I decided to treat myself in the evenings until it was all gone. I ran out Wednesday.

Thursday evening I decided to have a bit of bourbon. After about an hour I was digging under the seat in my car because I knew there would be a piece or two under there. I found them and yes, I chewed them happily.

Friday morning I found four pieces of Nicorette in the pocket of a uniform shirt and I felt like I'd hit the lottery. I chewed one piece Friday night and one piece yesterday morning. I decided this evening I was going to have some more bourbon and I just started chomping the last two pieces that I have (to my knowledge). I can feel the nicotine coursing through my veins and all is right with the world.

This is insane. I'm a complete and total crack addict. You could pull a piece of Nicorette out of the sewer and I would rinse it off and chew it like a happy idiot. If they made nicotine suppositories I'd be jammin them like there is no tomorrow.

When does it stop? I need help!?!?!??!?!?!?!

LOL...

sheriff125

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Morgan Co
    alot of the guys i know that quit started chewing gum that tasted like what the dipped. Maybe you can trick yourself into thinking you are chewing and you wont want to smoke.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I quit smoking cold turkey a few years ago. The first 2 weeks were hell. Absolute hell. Then it was fine, no real cravings, except when I was drinking, so I quit that too. After 11 months or so I had a crappy day at work and the craving were back so I ended up starting back up again. Gained 20 pounds when I quit and now they're still with me. Dang it.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I quit cold turkey nearly seven years ago now, it was easily one of the most difficult things I've done. I've had the occasional cigar here and there, but after smoking almost two packs a day for over two years, I couldn't be happier to be tobacco free now.

sheriff125

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Morgan Co
    maybe if you sit down and figure out how much you spend on it a year. it will make you realize you can buy another gun, and you will just quit cold turkey!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I quit smoking for 45 days on a Ecig. ran over it w/ the fire engine and it wasnt 24 hours before i was bumming. two days i bought a pack, then back to bumming.

now i am back on day one w/out a cig and i am sure i will still probably bum one or two.

IT SUCKS. i dont think there is any easy way.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've chewed Copenhagen for the last few years, and have been either smoking or dipping for 30+ years. Yeah, it sucks trying to quit, I wish I could. My cravings are the worst right after eating, and when I'm drinking beer or coffee. I can't give up all that stuff at once. so I'm planning on just going cold turkey. Good luck man, I hope you're better at it than me.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I think if you look at the amount of nicotine the gum has compared to the cigarettes you have probably doubled or tripled your nicotine intake from when you were actually smoking. This may explain your "cracked out" cravings.

I smoked for 25+ years and quit about 2 1/2 years ago. I was a approximately a pack a day smoker sometimes more or less depending on stress levels. I quit using the NicoDerm patches. I started with the 2nd level (I'm a girl you may need the 1st level) for 2 weeks and then I did the 3rd level for about three to four weeks. Note if you decide to use the patches you may need to remove them when you sleep or you may have some really vivid messed up dreams. Those cracked out gum cravings are nothing compared to patch induced dreams. :)

Smoking for me was more of a habit than actual physical addiction. I was addicted to the act more than the actual cigarette. I had gotten a plastic cigarette from my health insurance provider a few years earlier. The filter part of it can be adjusted to mimic drawing on a cigarette. I used this for the first week along with peppermint Altoids. I put the Altoids in my mouth and then I would take drags off the plastic cigarette. After about a week I just used the Altoids. Put a couple Altoids (or other strong mints) in your mouth, purse your lips and take deep breaths like you would if you were taking a drag off the cigarette. Do this whenever the craving for a cigarette hits. After a while this action will become your new habit. The nice thing is you can do it anywhere. Once your body detoxes it will get easier, the cravings will start to release their hold on you.

What you will probably find out is that after you eat or do certain activities that you would normally smoke afterwards you don't know what to do. This is another part of the habit of the act you need to reprogram yourself for. You will need to find another outlet for this energy. Make new better habits to replace the old ones.

I hope this helps. Good luck, quitting definitely sucks.

ABolt243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Shelbyville, IL
    I quit in '99. Two plus packs a day of Camel Lights. Started at about 16 on Lucky Strikes, moved to Camel straights, for lots of years, then "got healthy" and went to the lights. Used the patch and lots of chewing gum. Wasn't easy, but I made it. I think the constant flow of nicotine from the patch helped take the high off the cravings. The gum gave me something to do with my mouth. Still have a fleeting craving for a Camel Light nearly every day, but it doesn't last long. I do stand down wind from a smoker now and again for a little "second hand". I've never tried a cigarette since then. I fear that I'd fall right back into the pit.

Good luck to you. Use the patch as long as you need it. Stay on a level longer than they recommend if you have to. They do help.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I am approaching my quit date and im very nervous. I quit 2 years ago and made it 11 months. I really regret having that one that got me back smoking. We started a new budget and I get $100the pocket money each month. This includes cigarettes, fast food if I want it, and gun money....its time to quit...I spent all my $ 2 weeks in and had to rob my "kitty" to get through the month... i hate cigarettes

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    Is anything harder than kicking nicotine? Seriously. This is ridiculous.

The history: I smoked Marlboro Red's from the age of 15 until I was 19. I switched to dipping Kodiak to quit smoking and have done that until a couple months ago (20 years). I have been chewing Nicorette and dipping for about a year now. I've quit a few times but I always end up going back.

I decided about 10 days ago that I was going to quit. The next morning I got up at 6am and made it to 9:30am before getting a fix. That day I consumed probably 15% of what I would have normally consumed.

The next day I made it to noon and probably consumed 10% of my normal amount for the day.

I had several cards of the Nicorette and decided that if it was laying around I would always be tempted so I decided to treat myself in the evenings until it was all gone. I ran out Wednesday.

Thursday evening I decided to have a bit of bourbon. After about an hour I was digging under the seat in my car because I knew there would be a piece or two under there. I found them and yes, I chewed them happily.

Friday morning I found four pieces of Nicorette in the pocket of a uniform shirt and I felt like I'd hit the lottery. I chewed one piece Friday night and one piece yesterday morning. I decided this evening I was going to have some more bourbon and I just started chomping the last two pieces that I have (to my knowledge). I can feel the nicotine coursing through my veins and all is right with the world.

This is insane. I'm a complete and total crack addict. You could pull a piece of Nicorette out of the sewer and I would rinse it off and chew it like a happy idiot. If they made nicotine suppositories I'd be jammin them like there is no tomorrow.

When does it stop? I need help!?!?!??!?!?!?!

LOL...

All your doing is feeding your cravings... get on the patch (and off the gum) or ask the doctor to put you on Chantix (it works by blocking the pleasant effects of nicotine on the brain).

I smoked from 16 to 50... I quit cold turkey 7 years ago.

Hanen42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Ossian
    It sucks! I used to chew a can a day of grizzly wintergreen. I got forced to quit aka Army Basic Training. Let me tell you, MRE coffee saved my butt out in the field with cravings. I tried to dip the day I graduated and threw up haha.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I chewed a can a shift while on work each night. I quit cold turkey in July of 08. It was definitly hard, but I fought through the cravings. It took about 2 years before I quit having any cravings at all, but well worth it. Just keep telling yourself that you want to quit and dont give in.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Nicotine is a rough drug! I quit cold turkey almost 9 months ago and was the hardest thing i had ever done! I smoked a little over 2 packs a day. Cinnamon toothpicks helped me alot, an I still have to use them on occasion. I still have cravings its just alot easier to say no now. The main thing is keep trying! you may not quit the first time, but the more times you try the better chance you have to succseed. Good Luck!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Nicotine is the devil!!! What a horrible addiction. I have been smoking for 15 years now. I need to quit, I want to quit, but damn is it hard! I really hope this is the year I can kick.

Best of luck to you!

code_red

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    East Side Indy
    My bf quit around 2 years ago cold turkey. 2 pack a day smoker. The first 2 weeks were hell on him (and me.) He stuck with it with my help. Gum and sun flower seeds were a life saver! Imo nicorette and the like draw out the withdrawal process and make it harder to quit since you are feeding your body what it wants. He gained about 25lbs after he quit but stopped drinking pop and lost it. He hates the smell of it now and never seems himself going back. Good luck!

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    american-big-league-chew-bubble-gum-60g-pack-4808-p.bmp

...or beef jerky. <- still quite expensive though.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Big League Chew sucks. I can't never get satisfaction out of a cheek full. I've used the mint snuff at times when a dip was frowned upon but that just seemed like a waste of money. I've never known anyone that cut back by using that stuff. I'd say that patches or cold turkey are about the only way to quit. I've heard from a bunch of people that the gum didn't do anything but most chew it like a regular piece of gum and I guess that isn't how it is suppose to work.

Top Bottom