• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I tried that thing with the needles.........

But heroin was much too expensive so I went back to smoking:laugh:

Seriously, hang in there it gets better as you go along. I quit for 6 months and never really missed it, then I got bored one night watching TV, grabbed on of my emergency smokes and started again. Some day I will try again, but I really don't have a desire at the moment.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I've been in this position and the only way to get fully off of the nicotine was with the patch. Start at step one (no matter what you're calculating as your nicotine intake) and follow the directions religiously. If you follow the six or eight week plan (i can't remember how long it was, really) it will naturally step you down to a level that is FINALLY easy to quit.

The key is that you absolutely can not cheat. You'll probably need to do all of the mental tricks that any other addict does - You'll need to change routines, identify and avoid triggers. etc.

To this day, i don't drink coffee and I cannot have more than one alcoholic drink without having a nicotine fit. My wife says I'm not any fun anymore. Oh well - she didn't want me to smoke.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I smoked in High School and quit cold turkey after I met my now Fiance. I knew she didn't like it. However, I have the occasional cigar and she doesn't mind. :D But, I do know I could never smoke another cigarette or I couldn't stop.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Cold turkey is the only way that worked for me. Been smoke free for 13 or 14 years now. Took me and my wife 10 different tries to get it done and cold turkey was the only way it stuck. Altoids in the pocket you used to keep your cigs in helped.
    Also you may need to lay off the triggers. No alcohol for awhile and if you smoked with your morning coffee try switching to instant coffee or take it without milk or sugar or whatever. Switch things around a bit. It helped me quit.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    With the patch I was still able to enjoy my morning coffee and have an occasional drink. I still drink coffee and still have the occasional drink and do not feel the need to smoke.

Even after 2 1/2 years there are still some times when I get really stressed that I think "oh I'll just go smoke a cigarette to unwind", then I remember I no longer smoke so I just make a drink instead.

Once I went on the patch I never cheated. I don't think I could be trusted to smoke just one cigarette. The biggest thing about quitting is in order for it to work you have to be ready to quit. You have to do it for yourself, not for someone else.

jimmyw86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    I've been smoking for 5 years now. I used chantix and after 10 days I didn't have any urge to smoke at all and my dreams were amazing. Unfortunately your supposed to use it for about 3 months straight. I used it for 3 weeks and didn't smoke for almost 2 months then all of the sudden the urge hit hard and now im back on it. If you use chantix, you'll have a much better chance of quitting, but make sure you buy 2-3 months worth. Its about 120 per month but if you smoke a pack a day you'll still save about 30-40 bucks a month. Make sure you eat when you take the pills, otherwise you'll feel nauseous.

jbrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Gas City, IN
    i had quit for 2 years using the nicotrol inhaler. i was able to quit in about 3 days totally. Now thanks to an impending divorce i have taken it back up again but im hoping to be quitting again soon using these. i think they work great

ikky68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Fishers, IN
    Quitting sucks... I've smoked 1 cig in the last 2.5 months. That last cig that I smoked tasted like crap... Weird thing is, I still crave it...

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I quit 10 weeks ago. I also rewarded myself with a gym membership after 30 days of no smokes. After 4 weeks of running damn near every day, I ran 10 miles, as when I smoked 2 miles was almost impossible.

The kicker for me was when my 3 year old asked "Daddy, why do you smoke?" That hit me pretty hard.

BTW I also used Wellbutrin in assistance to help me quit. My big thing is Sunflower seeds now. I chew them all the time. In the truck, at home, etc. Between the Wellbutrin and seeds, it made the transition much easier.

Good luck, and buckle down! You can do it if you want to... Just think of all the spare ammo money!

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    All your doing is feeding your cravings... get on the patch (and off the gum) or ask the doctor to put you on Chantix (it works by blocking the pleasant effects of nicotine on the brain).

I smoked from 16 to 50... I quit cold turkey 7 years ago.
    ^^^ This!! ^^^

You are really breaking 2 habits...the nicotine addiction and the oral habit. By breaking them one a time, it is a little easier. I quit with the patch 14 years ago after smoking for 14 years. I was on the lowest dose for longer than 2 weeks, but i quit for good. I have only had a couple of cigarettes since then, and only after drinking A LOT! It tasted like i licked an ashtray in the morning and i couldn't get the taste out of my mouth. I learned my lesson and just say no now (and don't drink as much...the hangovers suck!)

Good luck!

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Pregnancy was a good excuse for me to quit permanently. I started back up after the birth of my daughter, but I quit for good when I found out I was preggers with my son. It's been 14 years now. I never had as bad a habit as some. A pack would last me a few days. I never smoked in my house or at work. I guess I was lucky. Good luck in quitting for good!

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    I guess I am one of the lucky ones with a less 'addictive' genetic makeup, but I quit years ago (don't even remember how many now, as It's completely lost any importance to me). I gave up cold turkey. If you don't have any of your own, and refuse to bum, then you can't smoke/chew. I had a radical idea that I've been trying to get a co-worker to try, but she hasn't decided to quit yet. Here's my suggestion: Whatever amount you smoke/chew in a week, do it one less. (easier for cigarettes). For example suppose you smoke a pack-a-day or 140/week. Take it down to 139 a week. I mean ANYONE can smoke just 1 less, right? That's EASY! The next week, only smoke 138. Eventually you will have stopped with no withdrawal because you weened yourself not only off of the nicotine but also the frequent habit. She said, "no, that would take too long." But my method would be faster than NOT QUITTING AT ALL! Given my example you would be off smokes in about 5 months. Give it a try! Your lungs, your wallet, and everyone's noses will thank you!

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    I quit smoking in 2004, chewed Nicorettes, quit those in 2008 with the help of Wellbutrin, after 6 months I was going crazy, went back onto the Nicorettes and have been on them since, I laughed when you said you dug a couple out of the seat and felt like you won the lottery when you found some in a shirt, I've been there, done that.
    I stopped smoking and had heart surgery in 2004, and told I had COPD at my last check up I was fine, the Doctor said I was OK to chew Nicorettes but NOT to smoke.
    I really should try to quit again, who wants to hold my guns for a while??

jeff1980

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Greenwood
    maybe if you sit down and figure out how much you spend on it a year. it will make you realize you can buy another gun, and you will just quit cold turkey!

I did this math and figured out I was spending nearly $2000 per year on smoking. Once I broke that down I felt like an idiot. When buying a motorcycle or car I would walk away from a deal over $150 but then I'd happily smoke that ammount in less than a month.....

I quit using the patch diring the last week of October. At week 3 I had my direct deposit changed to put the $40 per week I was litterally burning, into an extra savings account I started specifically for that purpose.

I have a little over $400 in there now and since it's money I was alredy spending it's like getting free cash..... I'm not sure what I'll do with the money but I'll probably let it add up for a few years and get something nice for myself.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I quit smoking cold turkey a few years ago. The first 2 weeks were hell. Absolute hell. Then it was fine, no real cravings, except when I was drinking, so I quit that too. After 11 months or so I had a crappy day at work and the craving were back so I ended up starting back up again. Gained 20 pounds when I quit and now they're still with me. Dang it.

^^This is my problem with quiting too.

But I've done it 5 times .. and 20 pounds each time :popcorn: + Bacon ..

~TK

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Its mostly mental. at least it was for me. I quit after smoking for 7 years. I smoked Lucky's and camels, the good stuff! Once I convinced myself to quit I never looked back. Good luck!

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I believe dip is harder to quit than cigarettes. That said, any tobacco you quit will add money in your pocket, daily happiness and a longer life.

One thing you can do to help you is to supercharge your system with nutrients. Get a vitamix or other whole food processor, throw in a bunch or veggies and little fruit (no extra sugar) and start drinking it several times a day. Like every meal and in between. Your body wants to repair itself and get off the craving but you have to help it by giving it more nutrients than you can eat in raw foods per day.

Top Bottom