• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Go ahead and lock them away from your kids. But don't come crying when they're murdered, because you either followed the advice or, (as it is in some places) the law. Teach your kids when they're young and let them know where they are as they age. Most of us, of an age, grew up without gun safes or locked cabinets and boxes. Your kids can, too. Here's a case where the parents were required to lock them up and they paid the ultimate price for it.

The Merced Pitchfork Murders by Richard Poe

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Go ahead and lock them away from your kids. But don't come crying when they're murdered, because you either followed the advice or, (as it is in some places) the law. Teach your kids when they're young and let them know where they are as they age. Most of us, of an age, grew up without gun safes or locked cabinets and boxes. Your kids can, too. Here's a case where the parents were required to lock them up and they paid the ultimate price for it.

The Merced Pitchfork Murders by Richard Poe

I guess if we gave all 2 year olds hunter education classes and gave them a nice little piece of paper at the end, that makes it ok for us to arm them!...hell the 2nd ammendment applies to everybody right?

Maybe some of the people preaching about education on here could have given some classes to the 2 yo and she wouldn't have shot herself in the face. I mean, thats all that matters right?...is teaching them at a young age? LTCH for all toddlers who take firearms education classes!

hell lets show an Eddie Eagle video at the hospital for newborns...education right?

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    How about this...

You do what you feel is safe in your homes, but don't force your opinions on those that disagree with what you feel is safe and unsafe...

I see no one trying to force anything.

I sincerely pray that the day never comes for you or anyone else here when you are saying "If only I had..." like this family is now.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I guess if we gave all 2 year olds hunter education classes and gave them a nice little piece of paper at the end, that makes it ok for us to arm them!...hell the 2nd ammendment applies to everybody right?

Maybe some of the people preaching about education on here could have given some classes to the 2 yo and she wouldn't have shot herself in the face. I mean, thats all that matters right?...is teaching them at a young age? LTCH for all toddlers who take firearms education classes!

hell lets show an Eddie Eagle video at the hospital for newborns...education right?

Oh brother. :rolleyes: How many people preaching "keep the guns inaccessible" actually have young kids themselves? Take a quick look at my profile and you will see a picture of 4 precious kids in my house. All under the age of 10. Now take a guess at how many guns I have inaccessible to them? I'll hive you a hint... it starts with a zero. I have 2 boys, and guess what they got for their first birthday? They each got their own .22 rifle. I take them out shooting as often as possible and they love it. I taught them firearms safety since they were on the bottle. I'm taking the same educational stand that people have been taking for years. Teach the kids to be responsible and if they touch ANY gun for any reason other than self defense or the fact that I'm present with them, they will get BEAT!

All 4 of my kids love to shoot. In fact, when we go to the grocery store, they beg me to buy watermelons and heads of lettuce just so we can shoot them. (brings a tear to daddy's eye) But I can GUARANTEE you that they will not touch a firearm unless I tell them it is ok. The reason for this? EDUCATION. I have removed the novelty of firearms. They know that they are fun, but they also know that they are dangerous if used improperly.

Try taking a cantaloupe to the range with the kids. It's about the size of a man's head. Let them shoot it once with just a .22 and show them what can happen if you misuse firearms. Let me tell you from personal experience, it works!

Now, if my kids have friends over, all of my guns will be inaccessible. Because I don't know if the other kids have been educated. But we shouldn't be preaching "inaccessibility". We should be providing education. A daily firearms related mailing that I get has as the signature line "Firearms safety - it's a matter for Education, not Legislation". I couldn't agree more.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    For those (and there are many, here) who object to keeping guns (and ammunition) inaccessible to children and dependents, consider the following:

IC 35-46-1-4 (excerpts)
    A person having the care of a dependent, whether assumed voluntarily or because of a legal obligation, who knowingly or intentionally...places the dependent in a situation that endangers the dependent's life or health...commits...a Class B felony if it is committed under subsection (a)(1), (a)(2), or (a)(3) and results in serious bodily injury...a Class A felony if it is committed under subsection (a)(1), (a)(2), or (a)(3) by a person at least eighteen (18) years of age and results in the death of a dependent who is less than fourteen (14) years of age...

IC 35-47-10-6
    Dangerous control of a firearm
    Sec. 6. An adult who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly provides a firearm to a child for any purpose other than those described in section 1 of this chapter, with or without remuneration, commits dangerous control of a firearm, a Class C felony. However, the offense is a Class B felony if the adult has a prior conviction under this section.

Yes, education is important, but legislation also exists, whether "Hoosierdood" or others like it or not.
    Ignore the basic safety rule of keeping guns and ammunition inaccessible to children and violate Indiana law at your peril.

Last edited:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    When my daughter was 5 she asked if she could wear my gun belt, holster and glock 17 pistol. I got out my glock 26 with a paddle holster and put it on and we went for a walk in the woods.

She didn't shoot me, herself or do anything stupid. She had learned gun safety over the last 3 years.

She is 14 now and carries around the farm and I don't even think about it.

Last edited:

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    Oh brother. :rolleyes: How many people preaching "keep the guns inaccessible" actually have young kids themselves? Take a quick look at my profile and you will see a picture of 4 precious kids in my house. All under the age of 10. Now take a guess at how many guns I have inaccessible to them? I'll hive you a hint... it starts with a zero. I have 2 boys, and guess what they got for their first birthday? They each got their own .22 rifle. I take them out shooting as often as possible and they love it. I taught them firearms safety since they were on the bottle. I'm taking the same educational stand that people have been taking for years. Teach the kids to be responsible and if they touch ANY gun for any reason other than self defense or the fact that I'm present with them, they will get BEAT!

All 4 of my kids love to shoot. In fact, when we go to the grocery store, they beg me to buy watermelons and heads of lettuce just so we can shoot them. (brings a tear to daddy's eye) But I can GUARANTEE you that they will not touch a firearm unless I tell them it is ok. The reason for this? EDUCATION. I have removed the novelty of firearms. They know that they are fun, but they also know that they are dangerous if used improperly.

Try taking a cantaloupe to the range with the kids. It's about the size of a man's head. Let them shoot it once with just a .22 and show them what can happen if you misuse firearms. Let me tell you from personal experience, it works!

Now, if my kids have friends over, all of my guns will be inaccessible. Because I don't know if the other kids have been educated. But we shouldn't be preaching "inaccessibility". We should be providing education. A daily firearms related mailing that I get has as the signature line "Firearms safety - it's a matter for Education, not Legislation". I couldn't agree more.

Congrats beating your children works for you. Some of us dont care for our children to cower in fear when we enter the room..:rolleyes:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Do you also lock up your Tools?!
    Or how about your Car Keys?!
    Or how about Matches and Lighters?!
    Your Medications?!
    How about the Cleaning Compounds?!

Why not?!

Man, I would have to say that's the biggest number of strawmen I have ever had thrown at me in one volley....your strawman argument maker must be a Class 3 full auto model. Hahahaha.

I don't lock up my guns Jeremy. I just make them out of reach of the kids when they are here, same with other items that might be dangerous. Is that so hard for you to understand?

Would you mind sharing your solution for keeping the loaded guns away from kids?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The problem is that you have to educate parents first to teach them to educate their children.
    Not all parents have the common sense to do that.Especially if they are not gun owners they dont even think about it.
    And many that are gun owners dont teach their kids.

Indeed, there are a lot of stupid gun owners out there, more than any of us would care to admit to, hell the world is full of stupid people. We can only do what we can do within our little universe, so we just need to make sure we're doing it.

Education is a fine thing, but it isn't going to be the ultimate preventative to kids under the age of 7 in MOST cases.

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    Man, I would have to say that's the biggest number of strawmen I have ever had thrown at me in one volley....your strawman argument maker must be a Class 3 full auto model. Hahahaha.

I don't lock up my guns Jeremy. I just make them out of reach of the kids when they are here, same with other items that might be dangerous. Is that so hard for you to understand?

Would you mind sharing your solution for keeping the loaded guns away from kids?

Beatings, relentless beatings, pistol whippings if necessary.:rolleyes:

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I find it interesting that whenever this topic comes up, there seems to be a general attitude of, "this would never happen to MY family, because WE do it RIGHT." Then rounds of criticism for the folks who disagree. It's easy to think of people to whom these tragedies happen as stupid, or careless, or just plain wrong. The reality is, that earlier this week, the father of this boy could theoretically have been right here arguing with you all that theoretically, his theoretical safety plan is better than yours. As a matter of fact, he seemed to take the same precautions as many here who think they've got it right.

The reality is, that any one of us, no matter how careful we are, could be the next ones in the news and spur the next debate about the best way to protect our children. And no doubt, the lucky ones whose families remain intact, will go on arguing that this will never happen to them.

I guess you can either see tragedies like this as an opportunity to stop and examine how safe your family really is, or you can see it as an opportunity to be self-righteous about your own practices. Why would anyone chose anything but the former?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I see no one trying to force anything.
    Really...
    Look up some of the Indiana Code...
    I sincerely pray that the day never comes for you or anyone else here when you are saying "If only I had..." like this family is now.
    Sadly I have buried a fair amount of Friends and Family due to Firearms. Life happens. Part of Life is Death... :dunno:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

You might see that as a Strawman, I see it as valid points. There are more People killed every year with any of those than Firearm. Yet, everyone wants to focus on Firearms...

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    You might see that as a Strawman, I see it as valid points. There are more People killed every year with any of those than Firearm. Yet, everyone wants to focus on Firearms...

Ok I'll bite.

How many children were killed last year by car keys that weren't under lock and key?

Hahahaha

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

I imagane the focus on firearms has something to do with the forum genre, I suppose this same debate might arise at a drag racing thread in regards to having very young children in the pit area.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I am not creating forbidden fruit. While she is too young to understand the power of them, I do not let her touch them, hence I keep them out of her reach. I encourage the slow introduction to weapons, hence why I let her sit with me and hand me stuff. As she gets older I can let her handle them and then one day shoot them. Did the same thing with the boys and all is well. No curiosity about forbidden fruit, just a respect for dangerous but interesting things.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Hey I have a Novel Concept....

How about Educating the Children in Your home about Firearms...
    +1, first and formost, the same way most of my age was taught:), what is shot dies, only point at what you WANT destroyed:D

Top Bottom