• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    +1, first and formost, the same way most of my age was taught:), what is shot dies, only point at what you WANT destroyed:D

With all due respect, I believe this is a naive attitude, and assumes children can think like adults. It completely ignores the fact that young children often do not even comprehend what "dies" means. Yes, perhaps many or even most children will be obedient enough to prevent catastrophe, but for those that are not?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2011
    Greene County
    Check with your local NRA people about the Eddie Eagle Program. They will provide you material to assist in teaching kids about gun safety and the sort. Trust me it is worth your time, this is a good program. You can access it on the NRA web site.

whoismunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Bloomington,IN
    I'm really surprised to see so few people on a forum like this who so avidly believe in locking guns up away from children. I'd like to type something up from my copy of The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery, 6th Edition, written by Massad Ayoob.

"In another incident, a boy only slightly older than the one in South Bend was home in bed when a stalker broke into the family home. Obsessed with the woman the boy's father had brought into the home, the stalker had come to commit murder, and did. He killed the woman and the boy's older brother, and shot and gravely wounded the father, leaving him for dead. As the mass murderer entered the young man's room to complete what he thought was the extermination of the family, there was one thing he didn't know.
    The dad had trusted the youngster to have a handgun of his own in his room. By the time the stalker entered, the kid had been able to arm himself with his Ruger Single-Six sporting revolver. A moment later the rampage ended as the murderer fell to the floor with one of the boy's small caliber bullets in his brain. The youth and his father survived."

There are several other stories like this, some even more sickening than this one...if anyone wants some more examples to twist your stomach up let me know.

Now I would love for some of you have been posting for 8 pages about how you absolutely cannot allow your children access to firearms to answer me just this one question...should this boy's .22 Ruger have been inaccessible in a safe somewhere?
    It honestly pains me to try to express myself on topics like this. We have an inalienable right to self-defense, and to bear arms, and that includes people under eighteen. Does a parent have a right to keep firearms from their children? ABSOLUTELY. But they also have a responsibility to teach them gun safety, (whether they own them or not,) and to keep them from harm. I truly, truly hope that you folks are Rambo enough that your child never has to protect themselves...like that young boy and his unfortunate brother.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    For those (and there are many, here) who object to keeping guns (and ammunition) inaccessible to children and dependents, consider the following:

IC 35-46-1-4 (excerpts)
    A person having the care of a dependent, whether assumed voluntarily or because of a legal obligation, who knowingly or intentionally...places the dependent in a situation that endangers the dependent's life or health...commits...a Class B felony if it is committed under subsection (a)(1), (a)(2), or (a)(3) and results in serious bodily injury...a Class A felony if it is committed under subsection (a)(1), (a)(2), or (a)(3) by a person at least eighteen (18) years of age and results in the death of a dependent who is less than fourteen (14) years of age...

IC 35-47-10-6
    Dangerous control of a firearm
    Sec. 6. An adult who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly provides a firearm to a child for any purpose other than those described in section 1 of this chapter, with or without remuneration, commits dangerous control of a firearm, a Class C felony. However, the offense is a Class B felony if the adult has a prior conviction under this section.

Yes, education is important, but Indiana criminal law also exists, whether "whoismunky" or others like it or not.
    Ignore the basic safety rule of keeping guns and ammunition inaccessible to children and violate Indiana law at your peril.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    How about I just lock the Children in a cage when on the Property, I mean it is for their safety after all. I would hate for them to interact with something that may be deemed dangerous...

whoismunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Bloomington,IN
    Yes, education is important, but Indiana criminal law also exists, whether "whoismunky" or others like it or not.
    Ignore the basic safety rule of keeping guns and ammunition inaccessible to children and violate Indiana law at your peril.

Answer me this Nift, if you were the father in the story I posted above, would you have wanted the .22 locked away or not?

What you call "the basic safety rule," is really quite debatable. This child proved himself capable enough to dispatch an advancing murderer with one shot from a .22. I think we can both agree that you generally don't just hand kids guns, but can you honestly say you think that boy should have been unarmed?

And regarding the citing of the law, apparently there was an exemption you haven't posted...it may be totally irrelevant but depending on the circumstances it may not be illegal at all. I don't have children but I can sure say I'd rather take a felony with my son alive than be buried together.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    For those (and there are many, here) who object to keeping guns (and ammunition) inaccessible to children and dependents, consider the following:

IC 35-46-1-4 (excerpts)
    A person having the care of a dependent, whether assumed voluntarily or because of a legal obligation, who knowingly or intentionally...places the dependent in a situation that endangers the dependent's life or health...commits...a Class B felony if it is committed under subsection (a)(1), (a)(2), or (a)(3) and results in serious bodily injury...a Class A felony if it is committed under subsection (a)(1), (a)(2), or (a)(3) by a person at least eighteen (18) years of age and results in the death of a dependent who is less than fourteen (14) years of age...

IC 35-47-10-6
    Dangerous control of a firearm
    Sec. 6. An adult who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly provides a firearm to a child for any purpose other than those described in section 1 of this chapter, with or without remuneration, commits dangerous control of a firearm, a Class C felony. However, the offense is a Class B felony if the adult has a prior conviction under this section.

How about you consider the following as well.

The first IC you cited deals with Alcohol, and Tobacco, not Firearms...
    The Second one is Null as well sue to the Exemptions...
    IC 35-47-10-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A child who is attending a hunters safety course or a firearms safety course or an adult who is supervising the child during the course.
    (2) A child engaging in practice in using a firearm for target shooting at an established range or in an area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited or supervised by:
    (A) a qualified firearms instructor; or
    (B) an adult who is supervising the child while the child is at the range.
    (3) A child engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code that uses firearms as a part of a performance or an adult who is involved in the competition or performance.
    (4) A child who is hunting or trapping under a valid license issued to the child under IC 14-22.
    (5) A child who is traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an activity described in this section.
    (6) A child who:
    (A) is on real property that is under the control of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian; and
    (B) has permission from the child's parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    (7) A child who:
    (A) is at the child's residence; and
    (B) has the permission of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    So, please try once again, how I should handle my business on my own properties please... :popcorn:

Top Bottom