Just cut the cable, went to internet only! Anyone else been there done that?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I went from Uverse (upping to $140/mo) to Comcast ($108/mo for a year). I used to be with Comcast, but now I'm a new customer. Next year I'll be a new customer with Uverse if need be. Btw, Printcraft, my understanding is that in the near future you will be able to subscribe to the channels you want (like HBO) a la carte with an internet connection.

Jagunn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Brownsburg
    Been thinking about getting rid of directv and going with basic TV and subscribe to netflix. Not sure how this will work with a 13 and a 4 year old though.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Been thinking about getting rid of directv and going with basic TV and subscribe to netflix. Not sure how this will work with a 13 and a 4 year old though.

Probably much better than you think. There's a ton of children's programming on Netflix.

There's also a thing called "outside" they might accidentally wander in to.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We have not had cable or satellite TV for over 8 years now.We do have a great online connection through Lake Connections(true fiber optic to the house).52.23 mbps down 10.63 mbps up.We could get even faster service,but have no need.They offer up to 100mbps down and 25mbps up.

You want to talk about odd though.We live 14 miles from the nearest city(Two Harbors)It is a strange feeling having the fiber after having had Wild Blue satellite internet for years.We have never had any down time at all with the fiber,it has been flawless.Gamers out there....ever see an 8ms ping :P It has gotten me banned from servers more than once as "to good to be true".

2mhsbc4.png
    [/IMG]

Last edited:

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I think I'm going to start/try Hulu Plus. I'd get Amazon Prime but it doesn't have many (or any?) TV shows for free. Hulu Plus still has commercials, but I don't really care.

One show I just found and want to watch all of is "Flashpoint". It's about a Canadian SRU (Special Response Unit) team. I like it so far.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I keep hoping that one day we will ditch cable TV and go internet + Netflix only. We already have Netflix. That's the majority of what I watch. The wife pays the cable bill though, and I'm not sure she could get by without Colts games or Days of Our Lives, so until the cable company pisses her off, I guess we will be keeping the bundle package.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I keep hoping that one day we will ditch cable TV and go internet + Netflix only. We already have Netflix. That's the majority of what I watch. The wife pays the cable bill though, and I'm not sure she could get by without Colts games or Days of Our Lives, so until the cable company pisses her off, I guess we will be keeping the bundle package.
    I just got netflix. I'm still new to it so I haven't even scratched the surface. It's all I've been watching lately. Love those smart tv's!! Can't believe I had been missing out for so long. I can even watch YouTube on my tv.
    roght now I have uverse tv and it also includes our cells plus internet. Also we have every HBO type channel you can pay extra for. I'd love to cut down my $400 a month bill to att, but there's no way I can without my wife missing her series shows (haven't seen those HBO, skinimax, type on netflix), and my daughters cartoon channels. Any way to do that? I'd ditch uverse in a heartbeat.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I think I'm going to start/try Hulu Plus. I'd get Amazon Prime but it doesn't have many (or any?) TV shows for free. Hulu Plus still has commercials, but I don't really care.

One show I just found and want to watch all of is "Flashpoint". It's about a Canadian SRU (Special Response Unit) team. I like it so far.
    I got amazon prime free for a year for buying the fire phone. So far the best free stuff is all of the older HBO shows like Sopranos and Deadwood.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale

Why pay a premium for days of our lives and the colts? It's a surface channel. Just get an antenna and tell her to suck it up. Get to watch those but for free. We haven't had tv in 2-3 years now. Got Internet again back in the summer and dropped the data way down on our phones. It's odd at first but you'll see that alot of the shows on TV are reruns anyways.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Since Sept. 2009. No Netflix, No. Hulu, No Amazon Prime, not paying for TV, period.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Since Sept. 2009. No Netflix, No. Hulu, No Amazon Prime, not paying for TV, period.

Well if you got along that long you are doing fine. If you have wifi jump to a ROKU. As long as you don't pay for subscriptions you still got a lot of free stuff on there. Most of it is old. I have seen a lot of Boris Karlof (SP?) movies on there.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I upped the internet to 30mbps because it is common to stream several movies at a time between the wife and kids, along with numerous WiFi devices. I have no idea how bad I am getting screwed, but I am paying $48.14 a month out the door now compared to over $140 a month before.

That'll probably change. I have internet only with mediacom that started out at $30 month but after getting socked with small monthly increases it now is costing me $70. On average I can't stream movies on my smart TV unless I go with SD quality even though I'm supposed to be getting high speed. To get the speeds that would enable me to stream HD and SHD, I would have to spend another $20 a month.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    That'll probably change. I have internet only with mediacom that started out at $30 month but after getting socked with small monthly increases it now is costing me $70. On average I can't stream movies on my smart TV unless I go with SD quality even though I'm supposed to be getting high speed. To get the speeds that would enable me to stream HD and SHD, I would have to spend another $20 a month.

That's where I'm hitting a point of diminishing returns with Comcast. I was quoted at ~$80 for internet by itself (decent speed, the 50Mbps speed I believe), or $100 with HD TV service added. For the extra money it's sort of a no brainer. I'll have to investigate what 25Mbps would cost and if that would be enough for my streaming needs...

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    15 Mbs is OK for streaming, most of the time... No cable in years; Broadcast TV, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon prime. That meets most of our entertainment needs. If there is a game we really want to see, we will make a trip to a sports bar.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I'm paying for 25 Mbs but that doesn't seem to be fast enough to stream in HD a lot of the time. Just today I couldn't even stream you-tube videos. It seems at least with Mediacom that you may pay for a certain Mb but you aren't guaranteed to get the speed you're paying for most of the time.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I'm paying for 25 Mbs but that doesn't seem to be fast enough to stream in HD a lot of the time. Just today I couldn't even stream you-tube videos. It seems at least with Mediacom that you may pay for a certain Mb but you aren't guaranteed to get the speed you're paying for most of the time.

I don't do HD but I watch on the Roku while others are on the laptops. We have 6 meg service AT&T. I heard cable's speed will vary a lot depending on how many are on the cable line. Try Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test at several times and see how your connection is doing. This one will show you the quality of your connection. May have to allow it to get it to work. Pingtest.net - The Global Broadband Quality Test

With my 6meg service I have trouble with the youtube videos. Found out it is the computer not the internet. Need to get a new one someday.

Top Bottom