Just cut the cable, went to internet only! Anyone else been there done that?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I use Chromecast. It works but isn't the greatest. I read they are updating it and coming out with a second version here soon. Either way, I don't miss paying CoNcast 200+ a month.

For history and discovery channels, project free tv.com or youtube... pick what episode of what season you want to watch and enjoy your savings.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Our Dish is basic. Around $40 a month. Crapquest was edging up to $80 per month. Do the math. Dish isn't bad till a storm comes through, and our spare room has HDTV on a older set. Works as a back up system. (put up a $50 roof antenna 5 yrs ago-works perfect)
    Cold weather, snow, we welcome a few channels to watch before turning in at night. Wifey is using her tablet for some kind of TV.
    We are in the country, 35mi from Chicago, so we use Chicago channels.

The hook for us has been internet/phone. Our phone service is a private company, and most of our family calling is long distance, hence toll charges. We now have high speed net, and a phone pkg with unlimited calls w/ options for around $80.00. To have their net, you need their phone. The split is 50/30 phone vs net. It's good net, so can't knock it. Gave the cell net/phone some thought, but we use Tracfone. We buy what we use, and texting is cheaper.(not so long winded). Our life evolves around other things besides cell phones. Basic and emergency use only, works for us.

Last edited:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    We canceled cable once our contract expired, we couldn't justify $75 a month when all we wanted it for was college football. So instead we switched to Hulu for $8 a month

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    We dropped dish a year ago, would never go back.

Although, I've recently been spending $1.99 and episode for the current seasons of walking dead, and sons of anarchy, still way cheaper than $80 a month for satellite or cable.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    We dropped dish a year ago, would never go back.

Although, I've recently been spending $1.99 and episode for the current seasons of walking dead, and sons of anarchy, still way cheaper than $80 a month for satellite or cable.

Buy the whole season and get a discount- at least that works on iTunes. This is how I watch "Mad Men".

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How do you watch live sporting events?

That's the only part I miss. No ESPN, no BTN, no NFL... :(

Really, I watch football because I can. If I really want to see a game, that's what sports bars are for.

The other stuff, I'll find a way to watch it if it's important. :shady:

I thought if I cut the cable, my wife would watch less TV. Oh, nay nay. She's latched on the teat of Netflix and drinks in the drivel five episodes at a time. :xmad:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I use Chromecast. It works but isn't the greatest. I read they are updating it and coming out with a second version here soon. Either way, I don't miss paying CoNcast 200+ a month.

For history and discovery channels, get a time machine
    FIFY. The decline of those channels was an impetus for ditching. What ticked me off was DirecTV carried only the local main channels which meant PBS, but not PBS Create (which I watch a lot).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That's the only part I miss. No ESPN, no BTN, no NFL... :(

Really, I watch football because I can. If I really want to see a game, that's what sports bars are for.

The other stuff, I'll find a way to watch it if it's important. :shady:

I thought if I cut the cable, my wife would watch less TV. Oh, nay nay. She's latched on the teat of Netflix and drinks in the drivel five episodes at a time. :xmad:

Yeah, we've done some of that binge watching too. My wife is an enabler. :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

For history and discovery channels, project free tv.com or youtube... pick what episode of what season you want to watch and enjoy your savings.

Netflix has a TON of the older History/Discovery shows as well as older seasons of new shows (Alaska the Last Frontier etc) as well. If you watched for documentaries/military stuff, they have them by the truckload on Netflix.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    No cable, no satellite here. Low end DSL and Netflix plus the broadcast channels in Indy. Personally, I would rather just throw the TV out but that would cause unrest in the home. Movies on DVD from the Library are also good sources. I would rather read books most of the time. YMMV

Yep, this is our house too. I spend most of my free time reading.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Ten years ago, they raised the cable rate and gave us a bunch of duplicate crap channels that we didn't want.
    We yanked out the cable.
    It was kind of hard at first (especially with a TV addicted kid), but in a short time none of us really cared anymore.
    If there's something I want to see, it's usually found online.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    we haven't had any tv in 5 years and my brother just recently payed for netflix and hulu plus. even our internet sucks and our computers are all old so im left in the dark on a lot of things my friends talk about.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm paying a fortune for cable but haven't watched TV on a regular basis in three or more years. My son seldom watches it too. I asked him about getting rid of it the other day and he said he would like to keep History & Discovery channels but doesn't care much about the rest. Now I just need to take the time to see what the best Comcast deals for it would be.

That's kind of what's holding me back, along with A&E. Other than local channels, and occasionally ESPN, ESPN2 or TBS (maybe TNT?) for NASCAR or Monday and Thursday Night Football, we watch History and A&E shows the most. I don't know if those are available (pretty sure the ESPN channels aren't) on Hulu, Roku and the like. I think some, if not all of the History channel shows are available on their website, but don't know about A&E. I wish cable had "ala carte" services. In order to get the channels we like the most, we have to have more than basic (but no pay channels) and it sucks how much that costs. :(

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Aha... I see I should have read ahead one more page... :):

Top Bottom