Just cut the cable, went to internet only! Anyone else been there done that?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Are there other internet ways to get those college football games?

We have Dish... My step daughter moved back in for a while so I don't get to watch the dish... Ah don't matter I am not a TV hound. I watch over the air. We do have a Roku box. It is out in the 3 season room. My son has a Netflix account he put on it.

On the other hand I have heard a couple things about one of these... I posted a while back about if anyone knew anything about them and had no replies.
    http://www.amazon.com/SkyStreamX-Qu...eywords=skystreamx+4+quad+core+android+tv+box

A friend of a friend has one. He loves it. They got to watch the Colts play a while back when they were blacked out. He said it is all free and it has everything from new release movies to all the sports. This one is supposed to be HD and have all the bells and whistles. He even got a keyboard to surf the net. I guess I am to busy to spend my money on the tv.

If anyone has one would love to hear how they like it.

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    Been cable TV free for a year and a half now. After 60 years of being glued to the tube I find myself searching for things to watch on the Antenna, youtube and netflix and my Usenet downloads have gone up dramatically. At least I'm watching what I want to watch when I want to watch it

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    We kicked out the Satellite TV service at the end of Oct when the contract was up and went with two Roku 3's. (One for the living room and one in the bedroom). We already had Amazon Prime and Netflix and I added a Hulu Plus account, but am thinking about canceling it already. I can't seem to find full episodes of the TV shows I want there. Perhaps I just haven't played around in it enough yet.
    Currently hooked on the Syfy original series 'Warehouse 13'. Too bad it only ran for 5 seasons :(

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    We kicked out the Satellite TV service at the end of Oct when the contract was up and went with two Roku 3's. (One for the living room and one in the bedroom). We already had Amazon Prime and Netflix and I added a Hulu Plus account, but am thinking about canceling it already. I can't seem to find full episodes of the TV shows I want there. Perhaps I just haven't played around in it enough yet.
    Currently hooked on the Syfy original series 'Warehouse 13'. Too bad it only ran for 5 seasons :(

I'm not a huge fan of hulu either, but my wife likes it.

One tip on Hulu, many shows won't show up on Roku, or phone apps, they need to be watched on a PC. For example, Top Shot Allstars, Ax Men, and the newest season of Sons of Anarchy, in these cases, I start them on the laptop, then hook it to the TV with an HDMI cord; not ideal, but better than paying for cable.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We have DSL, less than $20 a month. We can stream to two TV sets and surf the web at the same time using Roku 3's, no problems. We added a decent over the air antenna and get better HD now than we ever did with cable. We subscribe to Netflix, and Amazon. Pretty much covers all we watch.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I dropped Directv almost 3 years ago, getting to high, they tried to get it cheaper but it ended up being more so after over 10 yrs. I cancelled. Then after I cancelled, and until this day they send me stuff where I can get it much cheaper…..LOL…..too late. Got high speed internet that I enjoy more, get more good stuff to watch and all for 30.00 a month. Wife just found Graboid for a 8.00 a month and we download all kinds of stuff. And can stop and start it anytime.

Oh ya, I watch all the UFC fights, any football game all for FREE….not as clear, gotta know how to work the bugs to get started but its free and pretty good, pipe it up the big screen and enjoy, last UFC 181 was awesome…..its all on the VIPBox.com

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Can't do it. I've got to have my Outdoor Channel and Sportsman Channel. The only time I watch something different is if the wife is in the room and complaining.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    How do you watch live sporting events?

This! I could only cut off cable if I had a replacement to watch live sports. Hell, I pay more for sports packages. I do wish cable companies would give people the ability to pick and choose select channels and be charged accordingly. I would probably only have a handful of channels, most would be sports channels.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Nobody has heard of these XBMC android boxes??? I was just on the Skystreamx site and they have such great reviews. I don't want to drop $200 on a box. As good as they are claiming I am surprised nobody has heard of them. They say no subscriptions ever. I am not selling the things, just trying to learn more about them. They are supposed to have most if not all of the sporting events.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    Tore down my DTV dish last Feb. Don't miss it a bit. No land line past 8 years either. I think next step is turning smart phone into a hot zone and cancelling internet service. I can afford it all, just don't want it all.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Tore down my DTV dish last Feb. Don't miss it a bit. No land line past 8 years either. I think next step is turning smart phone into a hot zone and cancelling internet service. I can afford it all, just don't want it all.

When our DSL was on the fritz and I was really PO'd at AT&T, we tried to go without first by using our phones as hot spots then by getting a 4G stand alone hot spot. We soon found out that one, the DSL was still more responsive and two, the cell data charges were going to be far too expensive. Streaming video is quite a data burner and unless you are on an unlimited plan with your cell carrier, you'll soon be paying more for data than you would a premium cable package.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    High Speed internet, netflix, huluplus and Apple TV, plus a basic set of rabbit ears.

We cut the cord 14 months ago and haven't missed it a bit.

For live sports, if I get it with my rabbit ears great, if not great! If I REALLY need to watch something, I go to BWW - but that has only been ONCE in 14 months.

The think I miss the LEAST is live "news" - I was at a hotel last week and turned on the TV to watch Fox News and for 3 days straight it was the SAME story just repackaged...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    No more cable tv in this house. Cable is a vast wasteland of bad programming.
    Now, if I could get al a carte programming I would have about 4 channels that I would probably buy.
    When we want to watch a movie we flip on Netflix etc.

kjf48197

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indy south side
    I cut the cord 2 years ago. Netflix and internet have plenty of visual entertainment. I also have an HD radio and I can hook up internet radio to the stereo.

Angry Pirate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    I've been trying to talk myself into cutting the cord for a year now. I've heard you can get Sunday ticket through Playstation that may push me to do it in 2015.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    There have been several times without my life that I have not had television service. When I was "without" back in the early 90s, that really horrified my friends and family. Now, with internet options, it's getting more common.

We would probably not mind keeping basic television in the budget, but the channels we really want are on premium service. The only thing I've missed is Outlander. I'm a big fan of the books and they started the series this fall. It's not for sale anywhere, so I watch it at a friends house but assume it will be available on Itunes and DVD when the season is over.

I suspect that the market will shift with the demand. You will be able to pay more of your favorite shows alacarte, but cable internet will go up.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    OTA, Netflix, and YouTube via Chromecast. Internet is about $40/month and Netflix is $8, YouTube, Red bull TV, Vicki, etc are all free.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I had U-verse with internet, phone, and tv with the 200 channels and the DVR. It was great for awhile, then the service became spotty and the internet would cut out.

About three years ago, I had it taken out. When back to a land-line phone, Comcast broadband internet (need that to work from home) and regular TV.

I missed some shows for awhile, but with Netflix and DVDs, I've got plenty to watch.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I've never had cable, dish, or anything similar.

We do watch Netflix and Amazon Prime through the internet, though. Ibex always refused to pay to watch television, but I can't argue with the cost of Netflix or Amazon Prime ( which pays for itself in shipping costs pretty much immediately).

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Cut the comcast cable/net/phone a year and a half ago. Have OTA, netflix, and dsl now. Plenty to watch and save $120/mo over cable costs. They wanted to cut me a deal when I went to turn in the equipment. Too late as I had already tried to talk to them about the bill being too high and it just fell on deaf ears.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BlueishHue
    Top Bottom