• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I had an interesting thought. First off, I interpret the 2nd amendment just as it was written. My right to keep and bear (carry) arms shall not be infringed by the government. Now lets say I am selected for jury duty. The courthouse is one of the many dangerous gun free zones in our state. Since I am not being detained for committing a crime and being forced to go to one of the most dangerous places in my community, a gun-free courthouse, how can they (the law) tell me I can not keep my firearms on me during my service there? By being forced to attend and I in turn being forcibly unarmed.

Granted I am looking at this at purely a constitutional issue and ignoring the fact that the states and the government already violate our rights here in many ways.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I had an interesting thought. First off, I interpret the 2nd amendment just as it was written. My right to keep and bear (carry) arms shall not be infringed by the government. Now lets say I am selected for jury duty. The courthouse is one of the many dangerous gun free zones in our state. Since I am not being detained for committing a crime and being forced to go to one of the most dangerous places in my community, a gun-free courthouse, how can they (the law) tell me I can not keep my firearms on me during my service there? By being forced to attend and I in turn being forcibly unarmed.

Granted I am looking at this at purely a constitutional issue and ignoring the fact that the states and the government already violate our rights here in many ways.

you have already answered your own question.

But I welcome you to be the test case to get the law changed.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I was summoned to jury duty in September and thought about this the entire time. If you don't show up, criminal charges can be issued towards you. They should at least offer a place to store them while you're in the building. Walking across downtown Indy isn't the worst place in the country, by far, but I still prefer to be armed. It got me thinking, if I get mugged walking to the court house, would there be an sort of astronomical chance that I could win if I fought the law in courts? Ironic, huh.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've never been called for Jury Duty, but is it really that hard to get out of? Don't they have to qualify you with some questions or something? Just say you're biased on the case and they'll release you, right?

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    You still have to show up and spend a lot of time waiting to be drawn for jury selection. Also, I wonder if a literal interpretation of 2A might be worth working into the Q&A which would probably get anyone thrown out of any jury pool in a hurry!

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    You still have to show up and spend a lot of time waiting to be drawn for jury selection. Also, I wonder if a literal interpretation of 2A might be worth working into the Q&A which would probably get anyone thrown out of any jury pool in a hurry!

this made me think, wouldn't it be a fun job screening people for jury duty? think of all the shenanigans people would do to get out of it. "you say the perp killed the intruder in self defense? Did he have bear arms? No? he's guilty, the 2nd amendment doesn't cover handguns."

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    To those wishing to "get out of" Jury Duty:

I certainly hope you don't find yourself facing a jury of your "peers".

If it were me, I'd certainly want people like ME on the jury.

Is it inconvenient? It certainly can be. Life is chock-full of inconveniences. Please don't shirk a civic duty because you don't want to be inconvenienced. (Note - legit excuses are just that - legitimate)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    To those wishing to "get out of" Jury Duty:

I certainly hope you don't find yourself facing a jury of your "peers".

If it were me, I'd certainly want people like ME on the jury.

Is it inconvenient? It certainly can be. Life is chock-full of inconveniences. Please don't shirk a civic duty because you don't want to be inconvenienced. (Note - legit excuses are just that - legitimate)

This right here!
    If you wind up in court over a self defense shooting, do you want the jury to be anti-gunners and folks that aren't smart enough to figure how to get out of it?

Myself, I treated jury duty as a drill on unarmed self defense. Hands, flashlight, cane...

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    I've never been called upon, is it random to get selected? or are there factors that would disqualify you from being called for jury duty?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I've never been called for Jury Duty, but is it really that hard to get out of? Don't they have to qualify you with some questions or something? Just say you're biased on the case and they'll release you, right?

Well its not all that easy, i was on a criminal jury back in the early 90's, and they asked the question, have you formed any opinions about cocaine and its use, one of the potential jurors said yes, i work at bristol meyers, and we are doing medical testing on cocaine, at that point i thought well he's gone, but low and behold he got seated! and was the jury foreman

then about 5 years ago, i was called again, as i was sitting waiting to be called up, i struck up a conversation with the lady sitting next to me, and we both worked for a local news media corp, i thought well we wont get seated, low and behold she got seated(they seated all 12 before they called me)

and here's a kicker...one question the defense scum(i mean lawyer) asked was "are you in the nra?". it was a bs trial where the hubby "accidently" shot his wife, and her being "in love" she didnt want to press charges, and she was later convicted of witness tampering cause she tried to get her daughter lie about the event

in that trial they asked the question "is there anything that could pre occupy you from concentrating on the trial", one person said yes, im supposed to fly to north carolina today for business meetings, the defense scum (i mean lawyer) said...we dont care, this is your civic duty to be here, and he was seated too.

im a potential juror right now, and i might have to go on monday(i have to call sunday night to see if the trial is still on), but if its the case i think it is, i doubt i'll get seated.

now my exwife got notice for jury duty and she called the court and said i'm a stay at home mom, i don't have a baby sitter they said "we dont care", i told her to take the kids with her dont think they'll seat you. she called her doctor and he wrote her a letter saying she had "irritable bowel syndrome" and could not be expected to sit for long periods without access to a bathroom, she dropped off the letter and they never called her again.

so no its' not that easy to get out of jury duty

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    I can see that, I'm wondering about getting called in the first place? like active/reserve military status, first responder/police officer. Would those type of occupations remove you from the pool of people to pull from.

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    Regarding the original post, of course anyone legitimately on this forum will agree with your concept. Unfortunately unless you are available to pay the price for losing the test case, you really don't have many options. I'm not above "carrying deep" when my carrying would be more than just frowned on, but I wouldn't even think about attempting to carry in a courtroom.

This is a fight to be fought at the ballot box and in the editorial section of the newspaper.

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    Regarding the original post, of course anyone legitimately on this forum will agree with your concept. Unfortunately unless you are available to pay the price for losing the test case, you really don't have many options. I'm not above "carrying deep" when my carrying would be more than just frowned on, but I wouldn't even think about attempting to carry in a courtroom.

This is a fight to be fought at the ballot box and in the editorial section of the newspaper.

agreed, good thing trolls dont lurk in firearm related forums

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013

In most cases you still have to go to the courthouse to go through their selection process. You would have to disarm for that.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I've never been called upon, is it random to get selected? or are there factors that would disqualify you from being called for jury duty?

Basically random. Jury Duty starts by getting you on the "list" of active people who may be questioned to serve. Usually you get a letter saying for the next year you are in the jury pool. Then at any time you may get called to come in and be questioned by the lawyers to pick the jury. This is where you would be dismissed for anything that might disqualify you. You can also try to talk yourself out of it by answering like below:

What do you think about black people: They should still be slaves.
    What do you think about white people: They are all stupid idiots
    Are you able to pay attention: I'm sorry, what is the question again? I'm turned on by guys (assuming they are male) in suits and you are making me so horny.
    Will you make your decision based on the law: If the defendant has blonde or red hair they are guilty. If it is any other color innocent. No need to follow the law.
    Are you a member of the NRA: Does that stand for Naughty Rambling Attorneys? Because if so I would love to join and give you a spankin'
    Have you ever committed a crime: That depends, are you a cop?
    Are you capable of being open minded: Absolutely. That is why even though I absolutely loved smoking weed I decided to give other drugs a chance.
    What do you do for a living: I'm a pimp.

After a couple nights in jail you will then be free of jury duty.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Here is the video that was shown as part of the jury duty process:

[video=youtube_share;8s5EiPodjd8]http://youtu.be/8s5EiPodjd8[/video]

Top Bottom