• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I can see that, I'm wondering about getting called in the first place? like active/reserve military status, first responder/police officer. Would those type of occupations remove you from the pool of people to pull from.

i'm no expert but i doubt it, but once you say "i'm a police officer" i'd think they'd boot you. as for the other's, it would depend on if your job would have any bearing on the case, if its the trial of malpractice, and you are a emt, i dont think you'd get seated, but if your a paramedic and its a civil trial (i.e. im suing my neighbor cause his tree fell on my fence) i think you might get seated. it all depends on the trial

im on my 3rd list in 30 years, the first time, i was seated for 2 trials, 1 civil, and one criminal, i was 18 or 19. on my second time(im not sure when but i think it was 5-7 years ago) i was called for one jury, but was not even called to be questioned,

and now im on from sept 30th til december 30th and i might have to go on monday(might i have to call on sunday to make sure the trial is still on)

Jurors are chosen from voter registration.

i thought they changed that, now they use drivers license's as well?

to the op, since courthouses are a gun free zone, you can't carry a gun, on the criminal trial jury i was on, the baliff didn't have a gun, police officers called to the stand didn't have a gun, could you imagine the guy convicted of murder, sentanced to a play date with "ol sparky" deciding to make a grab for a gun and taking a few jurors out with him?....i'm going to die...why not take out these people who convicted me?. and this has happened before, dad (or mom) is mad at the judge for granting custody to the other parent, and decides to kill the judge, the baliff, and anybody else in the hallway

i'm not sure where you are, but here they have metal dectectors at the door, so i cant even take a pocket knife with me.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    i thought they changed that, now they use drivers license's as well?

to the op, since courthouses are a gun free zone, you can't carry a gun, on the criminal trial jury i was on, the baliff didn't have a gun, police officers called to the stand didn't have a gun, could you imagine the guy convicted of murder, sentanced to a play date with "ol sparky" deciding to make a grab for a gun and taking a few jurors out with him?

Yes. When I reported for jury duty in September, they said they use driver's license information gathered from the BMV.

Here is a video of a guy doing exactly what you just described.

[video=youtube;-USE2khOAaI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-USE2khOAaI[/video]

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    to the op, since courthouses are a gun free zone, you can't carry a gun, on the criminal trial jury i was on, the baliff didn't have a gun, police officers called to the stand didn't have a gun, could you imagine the guy convicted of murder, sentanced to a play date with "ol sparky" deciding to make a grab for a gun and taking a few jurors out with him?....i'm going to die...why not take out these people who convicted me?. and this has happened before, dad (or mom) is mad at the judge for granting custody to the other parent, and decides to kill the judge, the baliff, and anybody else in the hallway

i'm not sure where you are, but here they have metal detectors at the door, so i cant even take a pocket knife with me.

I'm aware you can not. My point is the constitutionality of the legal requirement to serve on a jury if called or to come in for the selection process. Besides the defendant who has brought on his own loss of rights, everyone in the courtroom except for the jury is ultimately there on their own will with the exception of witnesses. As with any job, you can be required to be disarmed while on the job (this would apply to bailiff, judge, attorneys, security, etc). The jury however is there, ultimately, against their will and with the court house being a gun-free zone they are basically forced to be disarmed in which violates their constitutional right.

It would be interesting to hear the result if someone who is put on the active jury list sends a letter in the mail to the judge saying something like:

Dear Judge,

The opportunity to be on a jury in your court and be part of the great judicial process we have in our country, and serve my civic duty, is much appreciated. However, I respectively ask that you dismiss me from my obligation to appear to jury selection on the grounds that I do not wish to temporarily set aside my 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms. Indiana law prohibits the possession of guns in your court and being forced to be in the jury selection process, or on a jury itself, would infringe on my right to bear arms during that time. Although it is my civic duty to take part in this process when called upon I do not believe that allows my other rights, provided to me by the constitution, to be temporarily violated.

-----

That being said I would very much like to be on a Jury someday. I've only be on the list once but was never called. I likely would not raise this issue but like I said originally, it is just something that ran through my head the other day.

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    if you would like to try that, why not call a judge and ask?, i would love to know what the judge says

im sure that after he's done laughing he'll let you know that "if you do not appear at the time and location set forth above_A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER MAY BE DISPATCHED TO TAKE YOU INTO_CUSTODY_AND_BRING_YOU_TO_COURT."that"s the exact wording and boldface type on the summons for jury duty im looking at right now.

and not everyone in a court trial has "brought on his own loss of rights" a civil trial is as simple as me suing the person who was driving uninsured.

just because you dont agree with a court order doesn't mean you can disobey it, and a summons for jury duty is a court order

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    The jury pool here in Indy is taken from voting records. I have been registered to vote since I was 18. I am 54 now, and have been called up for jury duty 7 times. I have wasted from 6 to 8 hours each time for the first 5 times, they will never seat me in a jury because they want a jury that they can control. I just happen to LOOK like I am out of control (look like john the baptist) and was dismissed 5 times without a question ever being asked! Those times were all pre 9/11. Then came metal detectors to all entrances of the city/county bldg. The 6th time I was turned away from entering the city/county bldg. because I refused to divest myself of my car keys. The 7th time I was turned away at the entrance for refusing to dispose of my wire-rimed glasses.

Now, if car keys and wire glasses are to dangerous to enter a courtroom then what would they do if they found a gun? I have a constitutional right to carry car keys too but they sure as heck barred me from entering the court. Upon hearing my legal diatribe the officer informed me that the court was judge so-and-so's property and thus I had no constitutional protections inside. The court can ban anything that they decide to ban.

Nowadays I have crippling arthritis and have to use a walking stick just to stay upright. I cant wait for the next jury summons, when I will try to enter court with a 4foot 8inch piece of 1.5 inch red oak. The Americans with disabilities act will wail if I am barred entry for having the walking aid of my choice! It will be fun. The several ounces of metal that the surgeons put into my neck will cause some consternation too.......

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I've never been called for Jury Duty, but is it really that hard to get out of? Don't they have to qualify you with some questions or something? Just say you're biased on the case and they'll release you, right?

SHAME on you!

To those wishing to "get out of" Jury Duty:

I certainly hope you don't find yourself facing a jury of your "peers".

If it were me, I'd certainly want people like ME on the jury.

Is it inconvenient? It certainly can be. Life is chock-full of inconveniences. Please don't shirk a civic duty because you don't want to be inconvenienced. (Note - legit excuses are just that - legitimate)

This right here!
    If you wind up in court over a self defense shooting, do you want the jury to be anti-gunners and folks that aren't smart enough to figure how to get out of it?

Myself, I treated jury duty as a drill on unarmed self defense. Hands, flashlight, cane...

Precisely both of these posts! I've served on one jury and received a notice that I was subject to summons for duty another time. My reaction when I see these is pleasure. I am honored to serve and will be happy to do so.

I'm aware you can not. My point is the constitutionality of the legal requirement to serve on a jury if called or to come in for the selection process. Besides the defendant who has brought on his own loss of rights, everyone in the courtroom except for the jury is ultimately there on their own will with the exception of witnesses. As with any job, you can be required to be disarmed while on the job (this would apply to bailiff, judge, attorneys, security, etc). The jury however is there, ultimately, against their will and with the court house being a gun-free zone they are basically forced to be disarmed in which violates their constitutional right.

It would be interesting to hear the result if someone who is put on the active jury list sends a letter in the mail to the judge saying something like:

Dear Judge,

The opportunity to be on a jury in your court and be part of the great judicial process we have in our country, and serve my civic duty, is much appreciated. However, I respectively ask that you dismiss me from my obligation to appear to jury selection on the grounds that I do not wish to temporarily set aside my 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms. Indiana law prohibits the possession of guns in your court and being forced to be in the jury selection process, or on a jury itself, would infringe on my right to bear arms during that time. Although it is my civic duty to take part in this process when called upon I do not believe that allows my other rights, provided to me by the constitution, to be temporarily violated.

-----

That being said I would very much like to be on a Jury someday. I've only be on the list once but was never called. I likely would not raise this issue but like I said originally, it is just something that ran through my head the other day.

I take issue with only two lines of your letter, those being that our rights are not provided by the Constitution, they are protected by it, and that it is not IN law that prohibits guns in courthouses, it is local law. State law simply allows them to have local laws to that effect.

I also might suggest that, rather than ask to be excused from service, you ask instead for the judge to set aside the unConstitutional prohibition on carry in the courthouse (provided there is one; there's at least one courthouse in Indiana that has specifically allowed carry by those who do so legally) and in his/her courtroom.

Sadly, the great likelihood is that doing this would be one of the points that would end up excusing you from service.

I'd very much like to see the law allowing public buildings to suspend Natural (and Constitutional) rights, repealed.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    SHAME on you!

Hey! Don't misinterpret what I said. :P

I've never had jury duty. Honestly, I'm looking forward to it! I want to serve on a jury! I think it would be an interesting experience!

My comment was about the process of being selected for a jury. I, personally, would not "hoax" my way out of it. It is my civil duty, and I'm looking forward to the opportunity

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I had my first jury selection a couple weeks ago...50 people and I was in the second bunch, but didn't get picked. So over 30 people showed up
    and didn't even get a chance to answer.

We had people who knew the defendant, they were neighbors for a long time and said they knew about the case and said they had already formed\
    a opnion. AND they still picked the lady to go up in the second bunch with me and asked her the most questions!!!!!! Of course they didn't pick her. Seen this with other people who saud they weren't comfortable with the case, some almost came to tears over the questions and they got asked the most question then not selected.

Made no sense to me, you knew they wouldn't pick them so why bother asking most the question to them...? Then they picked 2 people who went to school with the defendants brother......? It was a case of a homo adult molesting teenage boys....kinda glad I didn't get picked, but found it interesting....But come on, a woman tells you she knows the guy and already has a opinion and you call her up and question like crazy.....thats just plain STUPID.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So . . . if you're called for jury duty, and you report to the courthouse as ordered, have you fulfilled your legal obigation?

I'm curious what would happen if you get to the security checkpoint and just stop, tell them why you're there, and then just wait without trying to go through metal detector.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    So . . . if you're called for jury duty, and you report to the courthouse as ordered, have you fulfilled your legal obigation?

I'm curious what would happen if you get to the security checkpoint and just stop, tell them why you're there, and then just wait without trying to go through metal detector.

Like I said before, I was turned away at the front door of the city/county bldg. twice. I went on home HOPING to hear from the authorities. I never heard another word. I haven't been called up for jury duty since then either, that's probably a coincidence but maybe not.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    It sure wouldn't hurt me to serve on a jury. I've been at several trials and love to see how they think.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    No longer the case. As someone else mentioned, they pull from the BMV now. If you have a driver's license, you can be called for jury duty. This changed a number of years back.

Yup, changed 2 yrs. ago....but they don't always pull from the BMV. If you have a drivers license OR pay taxes, your in the system. Also if you were a farmer or Veterinarian you didn't have to serve....but they did away with that too.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Fair enough. You see, I'm sure, how I got what I did from your post, though.

I've seen several items related to jury service, so I don't recall which one contained the idea that the office of "Juror" is THE highest office in our system of government. Your vote may not be questioned nor overruled by anyone, thanks to the "double jeopardy" clause, and you have the power to not only judge the defendant's actions or lack thereof, in the facts of the case, but also to judge the law itself, though many judges will instruct you otherwise (mine did, when I served. I'm not sure where that started or why, other than power, they do that.)

Hey! Don't misinterpret what I said.

I've never had jury duty. Honestly, I'm looking forward to it! I want to serve on a jury! I think it would be an interesting experience!

My comment was about the process of being selected for a jury. I, personally, would not "hoax" my way out of it. It is my civil duty, and I'm looking forward to the opportunity

For those who don't believe jury nullification is a good practice, consider the following thread, from 2009.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/62249-jury-duty.html

Specifically, I'll direct your attention to post #18 (mine), however the whole thread, short as it is, is a good read.

Blessings,
    Bill

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. I think as we have the "sensitive places" test in Heller and the "time, manner, place" rationale in First Amendment cases, GFZs in courthouses will likely be constitutional.

2. I think the vast majority of jurors are happy to have had the experience. All of them I have talked to all mention how much they have learned.

3. I've done a lot of jury trials in a number of counties (17 different counties now). All counties in Indiana treat jurors exceptionally well.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have been called and reported for duty on a number of occasions in a couple States. I have never actually sat over an important case. It seems that they only want under informed slow thinkers on the juries. My beef is how much of my time they waste playing their court games. Show up on time, sit here. Wait, someone has you fill out a paper, wait. Wait. Wait. Get called in an interviewed. Sit, wait. Go home, come back tomorrow. Show up on time. sit, wait. Someone comes out and says you are not needed, have a nice day, we'll stamp your parking pass. In the mean time I miss a couple days pay. I will show up to do my duty next time they call my name also, but I wish they would be more efficient.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I have been called and reported for duty on a number of occasions in a couple States. I have never actually sat over an important case. It seems that they only want under informed slow thinkers on the juries. My beef is how much of my time they waste playing their court games. Show up on time, sit here. Wait, someone has you fill out a paper, wait. Wait. Wait. Get called in an interviewed. Sit, wait. Go home, come back tomorrow. Show up on time. sit, wait. Someone comes out and says you are not needed, have a nice day, we'll stamp your parking pass. In the mean time I miss a couple days pay. I will show up to do my duty next time they call my name also, but I wish they would be more efficient.

How do you miss a couple days pay? Court pays you and your job pays you back the difference.......

Top Bottom