• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    One "Coachism" I heard more that most, "People don't train because they don't want to suck in public" :lmfao: It always amused me when I heard him say it but it's very true.. IF this is what's holding you back come on down.. I assure you there will be some people less skilled and some more skilled than you are. This is about improving YOUR skills and testing YOUR gear.
    It's been too long since we've had this opportunity available so come out and take advantage of it. As Allen stated earlier if you're a little apprehensive want to see if it's something you might enjoy you are also welcome to observe only. Thanks again to Allen for picking up the ball on this.
    Safety will be paramount and you will meet new like minded people, no downside.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    One "Coachism" I heard more that most, "People don't train because they don't want to suck in public" :lmfao: It always amused me when I heard him say it but it's very true.. IF this is what's holding you back come on down.. I assure you there will be some people less skilled and some more skilled than you are. This is about improving YOUR skills and testing YOUR gear.
    It's been too long since we've had this opportunity available so come out and take advantage of it. As Allen stated earlier if you're a little apprehensive want to see if it's something you might enjoy you are also welcome to observe only. Thanks again to Allen for picking up the ball on this.
    Safety will be paramount and you will meet new like minded people, no downside.
    This kind of match is as accessible as it gets. If you can shoot well enough not to put holes in the ceiling or the people behind you, you can participate. If you carry a gun, you already have all the equipment you need.

I shot with some dudes out at the range a couple weeks ago. They had belt rigs, Safarilands, red dot pistols, and were running drills on a shot timer for each other. I asked about competition shooting and they said they hadn't done any because they didn't think they were good enough. :rolleyes: Like bros you are already out here doing more than what 80% of people who shoot matches do, the bar is so much lower than you think.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    This kind of match is as accessible as it gets. If you can shoot well enough not to put holes in the ceiling or the people behind you, you can participate. If you carry a gun, you already have all the equipment you need.

I shot with some dudes out at the range a couple weeks ago. They had belt rigs, Safarilands, red dot pistols, and were running drills on a shot timer for each other. I asked about competition shooting and they said they hadn't done any because they didn't think they were good enough. :rolleyes: Like bros you are already out here doing more than what 80% of people who shoot matches do, the bar is so much lower than you think.
    as a very much not a competition shooter, I always appreciate the accessibility of the matches. I generally just walk in as I'm carrying plus a bag for extra ammo. Allen does a nice job for guys like me who are just looking to sharpen practical skills.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    as a very much not a competition shooter, I always appreciate the accessibility of the matches. I generally just walk in as I'm carrying plus a bag for extra ammo. Allen does a nice job for guys like me who are just looking to sharpen practical skills.
    NOT a competition shooter here either. Get some good training, figure out what you need to work on, meet people you didn't know you knew.

OK that almost made sense.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have been shooting IDPA for about 20 years and try to promote shooting sports to everyone. I am still a member of the best grassroots 2A group in Illinois, "Guns Save Life." I stay somewhat active because it is a great origination and since I only moved 14 miles from Illanoy to Indiana am still close. At the next monthly meeting in Danville IL I will be one of the speakers promoting shooting sports in general and IDPA in particular.
    One thing I will stress for the "Youtube" watchers is the people that post their videos are almost always shooters that do really good. There are a whole lot of those like myself that go out and shoot as well as we can but I am usually in the bottom third overall at a match. Is that a problem for me? Absolutely not! I probably enjoy myself more than those in the top 10% because I don't have the pressure of trying to win. Don't get me wrong I still try to do my best but 77 years old and shooting a revolver and my top speed is not what it used to be.....
    I also stress "shooting sports are not training" but it is something that you should do if you carry. Not training but it will make you more conscious of safety and more familar and confident in your gun handling. Drawing your handgun from under a concealment garment, shooting under pressure of the timer and accuracy will all improve.
    I also mention other sports beside IDPA, ICORE, USPSA and local matches like this EDC match and the "Carry gun match" at Riley. Jim.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks to everyone that came out. I had a great time I hope you all did as well.

Yes there will be more and while I felt good overall about how it went.
    I do see that there will be tweaking a little at a time to get it dialed in.

That's again and watch INGO's shooting sports thread for next months date

Last edited:

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon

Thanks, I'm glad you made it.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I thought the match ran pretty well for a first time. Maybe a stage short.

One of the cooler things Coach did was hang tarps from the tram lines in the range and use them to build blind stages. Stage brief was basically "unknown number of hostiles and no shoots in that room, engage with x rounds/target as identified". Requires a little honor system to not peek at the stage first, but you could hear the difference in cadence when people are identifying targets and not just executing a script in their head.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon

One of the cooler things Coach did was hang tarps from the tram lines in the range and use them to build blind stages. Stage brief was basically "unknown number of hostiles and no shoots in that room, engage with x rounds/target as identified". Requires a little honor system to not peek at the stage first, but you could hear the difference in cadence when people are identifying targets and not just executing a script in their head.
    I really liked those stages and would like to do similar.

Here's a little insight to that though.
    Hanging the tarps on the cables was stretching the cables and causing problems, so there would have to be an alternative, That is why we built the walls was to prevent damage to the trolley system.
    Its not to say that tarps could not be draped over the walls for similar effect..

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County

Great idea.
    I recall some low light situations like that also.

Top Bottom