Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Yes it is sad.

Lazy.....you betcha it is.

Complacent....you betcha it is.

Thinking the republic will continue regardless.......wrong thinking....IMHO of course.

Agree with you CM. Too many people I talked to didn't vote in 2008, and Indiana's electoral votes went to Obama.... I always vote!!! and so does the wife. Too many young people I run into say it doesn't concern them, and they gripe about the availability of 22's or the cost of their healthcare.....things need to change in the Land of the Free!!!!:patriot:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just like what was pointed out above, jus soli is what Scalia believed to be the requirement of a "natural born citizen". Take McCain for example. He is eligible because he was born on "US soil". So to answer your question, yes, children born abroad in US government hospitals are born on US soil.

I said "outside of the country." I was not referring to US military bases.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    I for one refuse to participate in tactical voting. I vote for the individual that I feel is best suited for the job. If I feel nobody is up to the task I walking into my polling place and turn in a blank balot. Obtaining is a valid choice. If this race turns into Hillary v. Trump I won't be checking either. Hopefully the libertarians kick up somebody decenot this year.
    :yesway:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Bogus argument.

See: McCain

Military bases are considered US soil.

Question here: Are most over seas stationed kids born in US army/navy/Air Force medical facilities or are they born in local hospitals near the bases?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Question here: Are most over seas stationed kids born in US army/navy/Air Force medical facilities or are they born in local hospitals near the bases?

Unknown! I went to school with a girl who was born in a hospital in Tokyo when her father was in the air force, which was the example I had in mind when I asked my original question. I would consider her to be born a US citizen because her father was a citizen even though she was born in Japan (and not on a military base hospital).

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Sorry I misread your post. Yes of course they are US citizens considering one of their parents is a US citizen. But citizenship isn't what I'm talking about here. It's the eligibility to become president.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Unknown! I went to school with a girl who was born in a hospital in Tokyo when her father was in the air force, which was the example I had in mind when I asked my original question. I would consider her to be born a US citizen because her father was a citizen even though she was born in Japan (and not on a military base hospital).
    You have the option to go to a hospital that is not a military hospital.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    I've been following this thread since I heard the news on Justice Scalia. I have been trepidatious to throw in my :twocents:. There's a lot of anger here, and I get it. I'm scared for our country, too.

I've been on the fence as to my vote for our next President. I can't in good conscience support Trump. Because of this, while he's the front runner, I've considered the democratic candidates strongly. There was a breath of fresh air when Trump lost Iowa and it looked like I might get to vote for a Republican!

The vacant Supreme Court seat makes this election all the more important (and again, scary). What do I do if the seat is vacant come election, and Trump is on the ticket?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sorry I misread your post. Yes of course they are US citizens considering one of their parents is a US citizen. But citizenship isn't what I'm talking about here. It's the eligibility to become president.

No worries. I was unclear too. I mean "natural born citizens" with the implication that they are eligible for the presidency.

And I was actually asking for your opinion, not trying to make a point or provoke some specific response as some seem to believe. My opinion is yes, they are natural born citizens and eligible to be president. On a related note, I think being born abroad with parents who are citizens gives someone a stronger claim to natural citizenship than illegal foreign nationals who score a touchdown with their baby by managing to have it born here.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've been following this thread since I heard the news on Justice Scalia. I have been trepidatious to throw in my :twocents:. There's a lot of anger here, and I get it. I'm scared for our country, too.

I've been on the fence as to my vote for our next President. I can't in good conscience support Trump. Because of this, while he's the front runner, I've considered the democratic candidates strongly. There was a breath of fresh air when Trump lost Iowa and it looked like I might get to vote for a Republican!

The vacant Supreme Court seat makes this election all the more important (and again, scary). What do I do if the seat is vacant come election, and Trump is on the ticket?

Make sure you're in close contact with your congressional representatives...

No worries. I was unclear too. I mean "natural born citizens" with the implication that they are eligible for the presidency.

And I was actually asking for your opinion, not trying to make a point or provoke some specific response as some seem to believe. My opinion is yes, they are natural born citizens and eligible to be president. On a related note, I think being born abroad with parents who are citizens gives someone a stronger claim to natural citizenship than illegal foreign nationals who score a touchdown with their baby by managing to have it born here.

I'm of the opinion that...
    Both parents must be legal US citizens, the child must be born on US soil, and not have held citizenship to another nation.

It's a very specific job for a very specific individual.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This would not surprise me. What would surprise me is if Obama nominated someone that everyone could get behind. And frankly I hope he nominates the most strident, partisan, ideologue as possible. Because when Cruz or Rubio gets in there, I want them to do the same thing (on the opposite end of the spectrum) and I want them to fight like Obama will to get their person confirmed. Elections have consequences.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-parents

Citizenship for Children Born to Servicemembers Overseas | Stateside Legal

I'm not seeing where either attempt to say the child is eligible for Presidential office. Just that in the right circumstances, they are given citizenship.

There isn't a third class of citizen. You're either a citizen by birth or you're a citizen through naturalization.

If a republican led senate confirms Loretta Lynch, it deserves to die a slow painful death. And then, yes, the constitution is dead.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not really. It's a little deep for me.
    My understanding is that a tied SCOTUS reverts back to the lower court's decision?

Not sure but I think the lower court ruling is affirmed and that particular filing/case cannot be brought before the SCOTUS again. When a ninth justice is seated a new test case would need to begin the journey through the lower courts if the aggrieved parties wished to raise the same issues

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    There isn't a third class of citizen. You're either a citizen by birth or you're a citizen through naturalization.

So Arnold Schwarzenegger should be eligible for president, since he is a naturalized US citizen?

Natural born is required by the constitution, so yes, there is a different class of citizen.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon

We are all talking about the Constitution and the preservation thereof with the passing of Justice Scalia. Therefore, my opinion does not matter, only the intention of the Constitutional requirement to be "natural born citizen" to hold the office of President (even VP) This requirement is specific to the office of President and VP. I am not a constitutional scholar, but have always been taught the definition that Scalia so aptly labeled jus soli. I believe that this requirement exists to avoid foreign influence.

Like I mentioned Cruz is my favorite, but I have to be honest with the meaning of the Constitution because it's preservation is very important to me. If I can rationalize one part of it, then why can't I rationalize the rest? Also, the dems and media could have a field day with this since this may be a double standard that many repubs had when Obamas eligibility came to question.

Top Bottom