• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    On that count, I have no problem with the "preserve" itself or the right to operate them, nor would I stand in their way. My feeling is borne out of the hunting ethic I grew up with where the chase is as, if not more, important than the kill.
    The Chase huh? So you run the deer down and ripe its throat out with your teeth? I'm sure you don't use modern firearms or optics in your "chase".

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I believe most understand Phylodog jest!!!! and where does this "hoof in mouth disease" come from???

I wasn't joking. Aside from the potential rapid spread of disease in fenced in enclosures I also don't like to see genetics brought in from other parts of the country and spread here when they escape. I don't really care if someone wants to fence in a tract of their land and bring in diseased or genetically altered animals provided they are held financially responsible for any damages. The fish farmer responsible for the release of Asian carp into North American waters should be spending 20 hours a day at the end of a gun barrel trying to catch each and every one of them.

i don't particularly care if my opinion isn't liked by anarchists or those who feel personal responsibility should have died with Elvis.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Do you have any clue to what the cure for CWD is ...????? :rolleyes:

I do see CWD being waved about in order to establish state control of private property. I'm sorry if you want to focus on CWD. I'm not convinced that it is an epidemic or uncontrollable. I like Phylodog's solution much better than allowing the state to steamroll a private business.
    The way nature would control it is those that can't survive it die. Natural predators would normally take care of this as they target the weak and sick thinning out the herd. Smaller herd groups decrease the opportunity to spread the disease. So lets kill more deer. Venison is back on the menu boys.

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    Can't really make the genetics argument, as our population is a composite of multiple state's genetics.

Do you have any clue to what the cure for CWD is ...?????

Prevention or a lingering death. No treatment. Infectious proteins that cause misfolding are nifty.

I, conservation biologists, and many people interested in veterinary medicine/agriculture will be pushing for a vote of no. Just too much unknown about prions.

Just look what the big stink of PEDV with swine caused this year. (pun intended).

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    As mentioned in an earlier post, I have hunted at Game Ranches in Texas (Hogs) and Missouri (Hogs, whitetail deer, and in January we will go after a Bison). The animals within the Missouri Ranch are Vet-checked prior to release, or shortly after birth, if born there. The fences prevent invasion of neighboring land by the ranches animals, but it also prevents any native critters from infecting the ranch animals with the local illnesses.
    with my age-infirmities and limited hunting budget, we find this to be a reasonable compromise to satisfy the urge and fill the freezer at the same time. If Indiana had some of these ranches, I probably would make use of them.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Personally, I don't think "wild game" species should be eligible to become private property whatsoever. Throughout history, wild game has traditionally been the property of the land owners or the royalty. The american experiment changed that and here wild game became the collective property of the people with the state governments holding that property in the public trust to ensure it as a perpetual natural resource available to everyone. Converting wild game to private property is going to lead to the end of hunting for the common man and potentially the extirpation of many game species from vast areas of the US.

Keep wild things wild.

I'm a capitalist and support private property rights. But I'm also a conservationist and don't thing wild game is something to be converted to private property - just like rivers and natural lakes.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Personally, I don't think "wild game" species should be eligible to become private property whatsoever. Throughout history, wild game has traditionally been the property of the land owners or the royalty. The american experiment changed that and here wild game became the collective property of the people with the state governments holding that property in the public trust to ensure it as a perpetual natural resource available to everyone. Converting wild game to private property is going to lead to the end of hunting for the common man and potentially the extirpation of many game species from vast areas of the US.

Keep wild things wild.

I'm a capitalist and support private property rights. But I'm also a conservationist and don't thing wild game is something to be converted to private property - just like rivers and natural lakes.

Interesting.... you do realize that at one time everything was wild and man domesticated it right? So where do we start and stop your plan of keeping the wild things wild? Do we start with what is wild today? What qualifies it at wild? The majority of live animals of that species is living in the wild vs captive? Are you also against having a fish-tank at home with some fish or a frog etc in it? What about pet birds that are traditionally wild species? Do we have to release them all into the wild?

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Interesting.... you do realize that at one time everything was wild and man domesticated it right? So where do we start and stop your plan of keeping the wild things wild? Do we start with what is wild today? What qualifies it at wild? The majority of live animals of that species is living in the wild vs captive? Are you also against having a fish-tank at home with some fish or a frog etc in it? What about pet birds that are traditionally wild species? Do we have to release them all into the wild?

Born free, as free as the wind blows, as free as the grass grows, born free to follow your heart...............:banana::bacondance::redxdance::fogey::cowbell::laugh:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    As mentioned in an earlier post, I have hunted at Game Ranches in Texas (Hogs) and Missouri (Hogs, whitetail deer, and in January we will go after a Bison). The animals within the Missouri Ranch are Vet-checked prior to release, or shortly after birth, if born there. The fences prevent invasion of neighboring land by the ranches animals, but it also prevents any native critters from infecting the ranch animals with the local illnesses.
    with my age-infirmities and limited hunting budget, we find this to be a reasonable compromise to satisfy the urge and fill the freezer at the same time. If Indiana had some of these ranches, I probably would make use of them.

"Vet checked"? For what? There is no live test for CWD.

we have several escapees from an Indiana deer farm right now that was brought in from a Pennsylvania deer farm that now has CWD in their herd. The Indiana farm deer could very well have been exposed to the CWD. CWD could already be in our wild herd because of this.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Btw - I saw a picture in a newspaper article covering this and the owner had an 8 foot fence. I guarantee you a mature deer, inside or outside the fence, can clear an 8 foot fence with ease..

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    So a tree branch falls on a 10 ft fence, or somebody doesn't secure a gate..................

BTW, I've seen deer slide under a fence (and also forget a fence was there and slam into it- tension wire type, pretty funny- went through it on try #2 though- fast learner).

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    DNR operates Newport ammunition depot in vermillion co. and controls deer hunting on the property which is fenced 8ft high but think private property owners shouldn't be able to do the same thing is BS.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    DNR operates Newport ammunition depot in vermillion co. and controls deer hunting on the property which is fenced 8ft high but think private property owners shouldn't be able to do the same thing is BS.
    The DNR is not operating anything in this place!!!! 90% of land there is now leased to the public!!! You may want check your facts...

btw.... All deer in there are wild and can and will jump the fence for your info!!!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    October 2, 2013 Indiana, Indianapolis Star

... [Circuit Judge] Evans found that an emergency ordered issued in 2005 by then-DNR Director Kyle Hupfer, which was aimed at stopping hunting on the fenced preserves, constituted “an improper exercise by an executive agency of the authority of the Indiana legislature.” The judge also made permanent a preliminary injunction he had issued that prohibited enforcement of the DNR order ...

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...ped-attempt-shut-down-high-fence-deer-hunting

Please call the Governors office and ask that he tall IDNR to appeal this ruling. 317 232 4567

We have 400 deer farmers and less than 10 shooting preserves who favor this ruling. Surely WE can triple that number in sportsmen who are unhappy. Call TODAY!

this is a great day for freedom. Take your big government bull**** elsewhere. Thanks for the Governors phone nber though. Ill call and tell him to stop WASTING millions of tax payer dollars fighting freedom and small businesses.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom