• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Credit history? So under no circumstances should an employer know about your credit history? Who's more likely to steal from their employer, the guy with money trouble or the guy with a good credit history?

Seriously? So now my poor credit score makes me finacially irresponsible and a thief?

You keep talking about demanding government intervention. All I'm saying is that private information about financial history, meant to for lenders who intend to provide me with credit, should not even be available to someone who is not going to be providing me credit. If it takes a new law being passed to protect my private information, so be it.

Should your employer be able to run a check to see if you have a license to carry a handgun? Should they be able to run a check to see if there have been any 4473's filled out with your SSN recently? I mean, who's more likely to come to work and shoot people; someone with a gun, or someone without any guns? :dunno:

Of course not. Because it's not any of their business. Because we have a right to a reasonable expectation of privacy. And because a potential employer being able to check my credit (in my not-so-humble option) crosses that line big time.

Last edited:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    ...So, I highly, HIGHLY recommend that if you're a business professional (especially IT), that you create a LinkedIn account and begin networking. But don't stop online, you have to network in person as well.

Also, if you have examples of work, I highly encourage you to build a portfolio (photos & descriptions at the least, for those not in a "creative" field).

Yeah, I'm a regular on LinkedIn. I have over 350 contacts and am a member of at least 20 different groups. One would think it'a a good place for networking. :rolleyes:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    So, I highly, HIGHLY recommend that if you're a business professional (especially IT), that you create a LinkedIn account and begin networking. But don't stop online, you have to network in person as well.

Also, if you have examples of work, I highly encourage you to build a portfolio (photos & descriptions at the least, for those not in a "creative" field).

Yep, I get requests to apply for jobs all over the country quite a bit from LinkedIn

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    this-thread-eject.jpg

Perfect.......................

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Seriously? So now my poor credit score makes me finacially irresponsible and a thief?

You keep talking about demanding government intervention. All I'm saying is that private information about financial history, meant to for lenders who intend to provide me with credit, should not even be available to someone who is not going to be providing me credit. If it takes a new law being passed to protect my private information, so be it.

Should your employer be able to run a check to see if you have a license to carry a handgun? Should they be able to run a check to see if there have been any 4473's filled out with your SSN recently? I mean, who's more likely to come to work and shoot people; someone with a gun, or someone without any guns? :dunno:

Of course not. Because it's not any of their business. Because we have a right to a reasonable expectation of privacy. And because a potential employer being able to check my credit (in my not-so-humble option) crosses that line big time.

There have been courts that have decided employers do have a right and the Federal lawmakers must agree to some extent. A law that you'd like has been introduced a couple times at the Federal level and well, failed. As I pointed out earlier, there are guidelines that have to be used and if you feel you're being discriminated against, complain to the proper people.

The credit report can easily help employers verify certain things in your past, jobs, and previous addresses. It is impressive the number of people that lie about jobs, education, and other things on applications and resumes.

I personally don't like it but I do understand why employers use it and I understand their concerns as well as the general public's concerns. If you feel strongly enough about having the guidelines for FCRA changed, contact your state and federal reps and senators. There doesn't need to be another law passed but if you believe the current laws need amended, have at it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There have been courts that have decided employers do have a right and the Federal lawmakers must agree to some extent. A law that you'd like has been introduced a couple times at the Federal level and well, failed. As I pointed out earlier, there are guidelines that have to be used and if you feel you're being discriminated against, complain to the proper people.

The credit report can easily help employers verify certain things in your past, jobs, and previous addresses. It is impressive the number of people that lie about jobs, education, and other things on applications and resumes.

I personally don't like it but I do understand why employers use it and I understand their concerns as well as the general public's concerns. If you feel strongly enough about having the guidelines for FCRA changed, contact your state and federal reps and senators. There doesn't need to be another law passed but if you believe the current laws need amended, have at it.

Hate to say it but you are right on with this one. I have employed people. It is a tough part of being a business owner. There was no computer data base in the mid 70's when I owned a HVAC-R service company. Would have loved to have that to use. I usually found out too late about miss-representation about job, driving and criminal history. Folks will say anything to get in a good job or just get a job. I lost 2 new trucks in 1 year to drunk driving. No one was killed thank god but the damage to other folks and my business was extensive. Yes, I had insurance but my rates went nuts. I lost equipment and stock and money to at least one thief with a record. If you really knew how much fraud goes on with job apps. you would be amazed. This is why employers use this tool. It saves them so much in the long run. It does make things hard on the honest people.
    There is a deal on yahoo about a link that has been having identities taken. Name escapes me but it was mentioned just up-stream of this post. The same kind of folks these laws are protecting the employers from are taking your identities. Get mad at the thieves. I am.

Edit...Linkedin is the outfit in trouble. read up on it before you use them anymore. a lot of ID theft

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Hate to say it but you are right on with this one. I have employed people. It is a tough part of being a business owner. There was no computer data base in the mid 70's when I owned a HVAC-R service company. Would have loved to have that to use. I usually found out too late about miss-representation about job, driving and criminal history. Folks will say anything to get in a good job or just get a job. I lost 2 new trucks in 1 year to drunk driving. No one was killed thank god but the damage to other folks and my business was extensive. Yes, I had insurance but my rates went nuts. I lost equipment and stock and money to at least one thief with a record. If you really knew how much fraud goes on with job apps. you would be amazed. This is why employers use this tool. It saves them so much in the long run. It does make things hard on the honest people.
    There is a deal on yahoo about a link that has been having identities taken. Name escapes me but it was mentioned just up-stream of this post. The same kind of folks these laws are protecting the employers from are taking your identities. Get mad at the thieves. I am.

Verifying qualifications, driving records, criminal history should all be private information. You as the employer should all risks of said dirtbag employees and have no method of vetting them before you hire them.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am not in the debate about credit history/future employer relations.

Credit history is a funny thing. I paid off my last car loan in 1991. I paid off my last house in 1996. I paid off a rental property in 2007. I have not taken a loan on anything since then. We have two credit cards that we pay off in full EVERY month. At last mortgage, my credit number was so high the bank could not believe it so they ran it through a second time. It pays to be perfect, right? Wrong, my credit score keeps going down since 2008. The banker said that is because I pay our bills without credit. ???? To get a homestead exemption on property tax, and keep my credit score current, I may take out a small mortgage. I can buy the house cash. The bank is acting like I am unworthy to get a $5,000 mortgage against a $140,000 house. You would think they would love to make a no risk loan.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am not in the debate about credit history/future employer relations.

Credit history is a funny thing. I paid off my last car loan in 1991. I paid off my last house in 1996. I paid off a rental property in 2007. I have not taken a loan on anything since then. We have two credit cards that we pay off in full EVERY month. At last mortgage, my credit number was so high the bank could not believe it so they ran it through a second time. It pays to be perfect, right? Wrong, my credit score keeps going down since 2008. The banker said that is because I pay our bills without credit. ???? To get a homestead exemption on property tax, and keep my credit score current, I may take out a small mortgage. I can buy the house cash. The bank is acting like I am unworthy to get a $5,000 mortgage against a $140,000 house. You would think they would love to make a no risk loan.

It is a game with rules you do not get to read. If you do not use your credit, your score drops. if you pay the cards off, in full when due they are not making any money off of you, you are running on their money. It is a catch 22

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My wife works in the school cafeteria. One of her coworkers would post her various contagious illnesses on her Facebook page and still come to work. Parents were calling the school complaining that a sick worker was handling their childrens food. She was told more than once to quit posting that stuff. That's just one case of how an employees Facebook page could negatively affect an employer.

Would you want to hire a guy who had a bunch of OWS crap on his page and railed against corporations? I went to the first tea party in Chicago and had to dig for a sock hat that didn't have my employer's name on it. I wasn't about to have my picture in the paper and face possible repercussions from my employer. What if one of our biggest customers was a flaming liberal and saw my employers logo in a tea party rally article?

I don't see a problem with employers wanting to see a prospective employees social media pages. I don't think it's right to demand passwords so that they could actually edit your page. If an employer demands that info, I can always move on. I don't have a Facebook account. But one of the comments on that article said to create a separate page just for this purpose. Makes sense to me.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I wonder how many dumb asses give up that info.

From some of the articles I read, people were thinking either give up the passwords or don't land a decent paying job. Personally, I think it is stupid to request the info and I'm not even a big fan of employers having a potential log on to Facebook, Twitter, or whatever else on a company computer so they can view their profiles. I understand why they want to see your info but I don't really agree with it. Then again, the people that constantly complain about their current jobs via Facebook or Twitter are morons because it isn't all that difficult to have the HR from a potential employer try to gain access via friending your friends. Too many people will accept anyone, not sure if they think having a bunch of "friends" online means you win.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Twitter, facebook and whatever else is out there is all just a bunch of media social bs. Im sure it has it's good sides for family contact and it has caught people posting about crimes.
    When it comes to workplaces asking adults for their passwords, that's getting downright childish. If an employer wanted to know something about me, they can come to me and ask me like a man and not like a child.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Twitter, facebook and whatever else is out there is all just a bunch of media social bs. Im sure it has it's good sides for family contact and it has caught people posting about crimes.
    When it comes to workplaces asking adults for their passwords, that's getting downright childish. If an employer wanted to know something about me, they can come to me and ask me like a man and not like a child.

I agree with your sentiments. Problem is, so many are hiding so much anymore that folks such as you and many others in this forum that would honestly answer a question are getting fewer in number. Young folks are multi-person-ed. I mean they are this person at work and that person on twitter when they can hide behind an avatar. We all do that to a degree but In conversations with my kids friends it is a way of life for them. They exist in a multi-dimensional state of mind constantly. It is kind of scary to me in several ways. Welcome to the new world. I have a Facebook page and it has united me with friends and family that would not be in my life right now without it.
    As to a potential Employer asking for this info, No, just No. I have skills to sell elsewhere.

Top Bottom