• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    A 17-year-old isn't a child. By definition, a "child" is one under 14.

And I'm pretty sure, under Indiana statutes, a 17-year-old legally can give consent.

"Age of consent" seems to vary quite a bit, by state:

515px-Age_of_Consent_-_North_America.svg.png

Green = 18
    Gold = 17
    Blue = 16

I understand that, but as he crossed state lines with his crimes, the federal statute is what is in play. That's why he was investigated by the FBI, prosecuted by an AUSA and resides in a federal prison. Now, I understand we all want the Feds out of as much as possible, but that is not yet the case, and probably will never be. The one minor prostitution charge he actually pled to was in New York, where 17 is legal. But there is much more to this than a one night lapse in judgement involving one 17 year old girl.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I understand that, but as he crossed state lines with his crimes, the federal statute is what is in play. That's why he was investigated by the FBI, prosecuted by an AUSA and resides in a federal prison. Now, I understand we all want the Feds out of as much as possible, but that is not yet the case, and probably will never be. The one minor prostitution charge he actually pled to was in New York, where 17 is legal. But there is much more to this than a one night lapse in judgement involving one 17 year old girl.

Agreed, but the Rule of Law must prevail over moral outrage, regardless of how morally outrageous his actions were. And appealing to emotion by referring to a 17-year-old, legally of the age of consent, as a "child" helps nothing.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Can't he sue the guy and institution for denying him of his civil liberties, hate crime and get millions? Not to mention the movie rights, he'll walk out smelling like a brown eyed rose. He couldn't buy all the free publicity. Poor little feller! He just had bad council or did he? 3 months from arrest to sentence, took my neighbor over a year to get 10' of his property line back. micheal J didn't get anything and he's back on top of the heap again, all forgivin and forgotten. Poor, poor Jared. There is our rule of law out here and the real world punishment in there. Someone just didn't tell him the diffrence. What I can't figure out is why we even care what happens to the puke or any of his cohorts unless we are worried of what may happen if we dare cross the border.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Agreed, but the Rule of Law must prevail over moral outrage, regardless of how morally outrageous his actions were. And appealing to emotion by referring to a 17-year-old, legally of the age of consent, as a "child" helps nothing.

The rule of law is prevailing. I'm happy about that. He received some of the punishment that comes with being in prison. If that seems cruel to you, fix the prison system.

But frankly, life can be cruel, and many who never broke any laws receive brutal treatment every day. Girls who never hurt anyone are kidnapped, addicted to opiates or some such, and used for their bodies. Little kids get abused while someone takes pictures. And guys like Fogle get their rocks off on it and finance it. Life isn't fair. So a perv got roughed up in prison, and no worse than a grandma getting mugged. I'll find other things to cry about, thank you.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The rule of law is prevailing. I'm happy about that. He received some of the punishment that comes with being in prison. If that seems cruel to you, fix the prison system.

But frankly, life can be cruel, and many who never broke any laws receive brutal treatment every day. Girls who never hurt anyone are kidnapped, addicted to opiates or some such, and used for their bodies. Little kids get abused while someone takes pictures. And guys like Fogle get their rocks off on it and finance it. Life isn't fair. So a perv got roughed up in prison, and no worse than a grandma getting mugged. I'll find other things to cry about, thank you.

I have no sympathy for Jared Fogle. I disagree with cheering on lawlessness and mob rule, even in the guise of "prison justice". It's as simple as that.

If the justice system doesn't mete out a punishment/sentence sufficient for the crime committed, then fix the criminal justice system.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I have no sympathy for Jared Fogle. I disagree with cheering on lawlessness and mob rule, even in the guise of "prison justice". It's as simple as that.

If the justice system doesn't mete out a punishment/sentence sufficient for the crime committed, then fix the criminal justice system.

It is what it is. As long as their are sickos, there will be thugs who hate sickos. And there is nothing that will change that. I will lose much less sleep about that than I will the innocents who were harmed as these lawless types were doing what it took to bring themselves together under one roof.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't understand the whole moral code of prisoners and how they think that child molesters should be beaten, but yet rapists and murderers get a free pass.

Murder is often just business. Murder a child and your cellmates will likely take the same dim view of you. Murder your competition in the dope trade, then you're sitting at the popular kid's table with the other jocks and cheerleaders. It depends.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I just had a mental image of some prisoners sitting around eating lunch in cheerleader outfits. I feel like Printcraft will be all over this.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Don't forget that if he had stayed in Indiana and found a partner here, the sex itself wouldn't be illegal at all. But INGO likes arbitrary laws and regulations imposed by the federal government.

Anyhoo, don't mistake my disdain for the beat down as sympathy for Jared. I don't really feel any. However, it bothers me that we so readily revert to animal instincts, Jared, the guy who beat him up and the bloodthirsty crowd.
    Wouldn't you revert to animal instincts if he messed around with your daughter? I would!

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash

This is analogous to what made Jerry Springer so popular. It was theorized that people watched the Jerry Springer show because no matter how screwed up their life was, it wasn't as bad as being on Jerry's show!

Doug

This...is exactly the reason I do all my grocery shopping at WalMart...kinda like a free therapy session.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    What I think about Jared Fogle doesn't matter. People should not be physically assaulting each other in prison. I will never cheer for someone being attacked while supposedly being in the protection of the government.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Whom sets the baseline for Moral Relativism ?

If the claim is that if it happened to my child I would suddenly feel that it was morally right to give a beat down where I would feel it was morally wrong in another situation, it is being claimed that I live my life according to moral relativism. Would I feel like engaging in violence? No doubt, but my relationship to the victim doesn't change the fact that I believe it wrong to turn someone over to "prison 'justice'" (two sets of quotes for "justice"). The "baseline" is believing something is wrong in one circumstance, but if it affects you, setting that belief aside.

"Whom"?

Top Bottom