• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Why is that disingenuous chart in points and not percents? A 2k pt drop from 20k is not the same as a 2k pt drop from 40k. I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, to learn that the 2 biggest point drops occurred when the Nikkei was at all-time highs near 40k.

I'm starting to see why you've successfully predicted 438 of the last 2 stock market crashes.
    It is down 7+% on the day, so far. On top of losses last Friday. With hundreds of billions in derrivatives blowing up. It will be felt here to.
    I remember 2008 when we dropped 8% in a day, and the trillions spent bailing out the banks soon after. It will not be same song different day. Japan has a central bank that is the largest holder of US debt. Expect to feel that impact as our bonds get hammered.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't follow Asian markets very closely, but hasn't the Japanese market been in doldrums for the majority of the past decade or so? Deflationary pressure, an ageing population with a low birth rate and restrictive immigration leading to declining population, etc? Seems like that's been the high level summary for quite awhile now.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't follow Asian markets very closely, but hasn't the Japanese market been in doldrums for the majority of the past decade or so? Deflationary pressure, an ageing population with a low birth rate and restrictive immigration leading to declining population, etc? Seems like that's been the high level summary for quite awhile now.
    You forgot to mention debt. They kept that at bay with 0% interest or negative interest for a long time, but the bill is due.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You forgot to mention debt. They kept that at bay with 0% interest or negative interest for a long time, but the bill is due.

That's kind of the norm for deflation, right? Deflation makes old debt more punishing and also rewards delayed spending. People stop borrowing and stop buying. Add in dwindling population reducing demand for goods and services and it's a tough spiral to pull out of. You either have to get more people, get more markets, or get more money to move, and they aren't getting more people. Regardless, like I said I don't follow their markets very closely so don't know their overall debt numbers.

We all complain about inflation, rightfully so when it's out of hand, but *some* inflation is needed for economic growth.

Funny thing is I remember when Japan was the apocalypse of the day and was going to crush our economy. I bet we did more damage to ourselves long term with NAFTA than Japan has ever come close to, but maybe I'm wrong.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Don’t know squat about paper, but gold is going up. Now at 2451.00 up 500+ for the year. As gold goes up, silver will have to follow. After all they have to keep the ~80:1 ratio. JMO

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Every Crash is the ebmnd of the world. That's what's those of us who keep some cash hope for.

I haven't got to my coffee yet. Did Japan set a new 52cweek low or is it still up on a 1 year graph?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Every Crash is the ebmnd of the world. That's what's those of us who keep some cash hope for.

I haven't got to my coffee yet. Did Japan set a new 52cweek low or is it still up on a 1 year graph?
    They are well past that 52 week low. They have lost 12.4% today,down more than on 1987's black Monday and that is with circuit breakers they did not have back then. Everything froze up do to the breakers, otherwise it would have been worse.

Our opening does not look great,unless you are short. SQQQ is currently up 26.46% since Fridays close.
    futures.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Guys like a weatherman. Never seems to get it right yet continues to keep his job.
    His most famous moment was his enron call or SVB. There is an ETF that bets the opposite of what his calls are SJIM(it loses money to because it uses way to much leverage, if it did not use 3x it would be up for the year but one bad call 3x leverage wiped it.) lol.

Top Bottom