• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I just placed my order from this company. I'm am Militec and Ballistol fan so I am looking forward to trying the Frog. The best price plus free shipping. I just hope I didn't do wrong.
    I have had a couple of issues with Botach, but at the price and free shipping, it is not a big deal for me. I know others have had major issues, but at the same time, if you order with a credit card, you have protection and Botach sells a lot of stuff.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks for the link. If I like the stuff I'll be trying this outfit.

I'm hoping the stuff has a better (different?) smell than my usual gun stuff. I just placed a very heavy duty fire safe in my closet (that I share with my wife) where I now keep most of my pistols. She's starting to b**ch about the smell:xmad:.

Actually smells really pleasant. Much better then the Hoppe's 9. I know, its kind of blasphemy, but it is a really nice scent.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Actually smells really pleasant. Much better then the Hoppe's 9. I know, its kind of blasphemy, but it is a really nice scent.
    And it is food grade, so you can eat it!
    I have yet to try the stuff, but I will soon!
    I have used Militec, I think it does make cleaning a bit easier. I would not bet my life on it.

I think there are 2 benefit of Frog Lube over some similar products (Militec) in adition to the lube portion.
    1. It protects against rust. This is not a selling point for Militec. Militec may help with rust, but I have read that it does not.
    2. It is food grade so you can apply it to your survival knives and still be used for food with.

These 2 points may be minor and even merketing hype, but they are 2 differences I have noticed.:twocents:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have had a couple of issues with Botach, but at the price and free shipping, it is not a big deal for me. I know others have had major issues, but at the same time, if you order with a credit card, you have protection and Botach sells a lot of stuff.

Thanks for a heads up. I hope I don't have any problems, but since I paid through PayPal I think I'll have them to go to (I think).

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought my floglube from Britton's store. I'm going to give it a try Saturday.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    And it is food grade, so you can eat it!
    I have yet to try the stuff, but I will soon!
    I have used Militec, I think it does make cleaning a bit easier. I would not bet my life on it.

I think there are 2 benefit of Frog Lube over some similar products (Militec) in adition to the lube portion.
    1. It protects against rust. This is not a selling point for Militec. Militec may help with rust, but I have read that it does not.
    2. It is food grade so you can apply it to your survival knives and still be used for food with.

These 2 points may be minor and even merketing hype, but they are 2 differences I have noticed.:twocents:

You are right about the rust, i used it to clean the "tool" kit in the back of my AK. Had forgotten about it, thing was covered in rust, cleaned it, ruined the T shirt from all the rust, but it all came out with this. Have not tried it on the knives yet, till not sure id be willing to eat it, but i feel safer with this then the Army's CLP.

Evermoore

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Well after running my AR this weekend with Armed Dynamics, around 800 rounds, I am going to shelve the froggy lube for my rifle. It works fine for a range gun but about half way through the day I started getting a bunch of double feed/FTE failures. When manually cycling the bolt if was rough and gritty feeling.

It seems like a great product. It cleans well, it doesn't smell like ass and it is not going to end up giving you some kind of chemical related health issues :P. But if I can't use it have my rifle work reliably its going to be shelved.

Now the odd part is I run it on my pistol and after 2800 rounds I still have had no issues with it.. Hmm..

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Well after running my AR this weekend with Armed Dynamics, around 800 rounds, I am going to shelve the froggy lube for my rifle. It works fine for a range gun but about half way through the day I started getting a bunch of double feed/FTE failures. When manually cycling the bolt if was rough and gritty feeling.

It seems like a great product. It cleans well, it doesn't smell like ass and it is not going to end up giving you some kind of chemical related health issues :P. But if I can't use it have my rifle work reliably its going to be shelved.

Now the odd part is I run it on my pistol and after 2800 rounds I still have had no issues with it.. Hmm..
    Hey, just to find out more... Do you think annother product would have worked better? Your gun would have been direty at 800 rounds. I am not an AR guy and I do not know it all, but would another product would have run any better????

Evermoore

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Hey, just to find out more... Do you think annother product would have worked better? Your gun would have been direty at 800 rounds. I am not an AR guy and I do not know it all, but would another product would have run any better????

The guys taking the class probably put 1k through his with bearing grease and had not one issue.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    The guys taking the class probably put 1k through his with bearing grease and had not one issue.
    Of course that is a different gun. I am not disagreeing with you so much as I am still not sure what to think of this product. I do know grease is a dirt magnet.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

Well, if its working on the pistol, (and I know it works fine on my firearms), maybe its just the AR. Granted, most of them do not run after a couple hundred rounds. I know from experience, using issued M16s and M4s, that they frequently jam and need to be sprayed with CLP while you are using them at rates like that. They still have jamming problems before the 1K mark.

Harleymonster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Just picked up a bottle, as well as a package of the wipes, from Rick at Adobe. Also used Rick to receive two pistols I ordered. Haven't used the stuff yet, but I will try to give my impression of it when I do.
    On a side note, Rick at Adobe was very easy to work with on the shipping in of my pistols. If you need a receiving FFL, I would recommend him.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Of course that is a different gun. I am not disagreeing with you so much as I am still not sure what to think of this product. I do know grease is a dirt magnet.

Dirt is not magically attracted to grease. There is no mechanism for this alleged "magnetism" you are suggesting. What it does do is hold dirt and fouling in suspension and continue to lubricate the rifle and keep it running. An AR needs to be wet to run, period. Grease keeps it wet.

Well, if its working on the pistol, (and I know it works fine on my firearms), maybe its just the AR. Granted, most of them do not run after a couple hundred rounds. I know from experience, using issued M16s and M4s, that they frequently jam and need to be sprayed with CLP while you are using them at rates like that. They still have jamming problems before the 1K mark.

Pistols are not rifles. Under lubrication is seldom an issue with modern handguns. It is defiitely an issue with many rifles, especially the AR. The reason you often see AR type rifles requiring additional lubrication after a couple hundred rounds is because CLP isn't a good lubricant and burns off readily.

We see a lot of ARs in our classes. Almost universally, rifles lubricated with high temperature wheel bearing grease run all day without requiring additional lubrication. Rifles lubricated with anything else tend to go dry and malfunction after a few hundred rounds. At a previous class we had a suppressed AR that burned off all of its frog lube in under 100 rounds and began malfunctioning. After being greased, it ran the rest of the day, including being run through a final drill by several students, having several hundred rounds fired through it in a short period of time. The rifle was too hot to hold, but the grease remained in place and the rifle was still slick. No light lubricant will handle that sort of abuse.

One of these days, I will buy a $4 1lb tub of high temp bearing grease from the auto parts store, stick it in a bunch of 10cc syringes, and sell them for $12 a piece as the next uber-doober-lube so gun guys can feel good that they spent way to much money on a specialty product. I'll make a million dollars and everyone will be happy that they finally have a gun lube that actually works as advertised.

Top Bottom