• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Dirt is not magically attracted to grease. There is no mechanism for this alleged "magnetism" you are suggesting. What it does do is hold dirt and fouling in suspension and continue to lubricate the rifle and keep it running. An AR needs to be wet to run, period. Grease keeps it wet.

Pistols are not rifles. Under lubrication is seldom an issue with modern handguns. It is defiitely an issue with many rifles, especially the AR. The reason you often see AR type rifles requiring additional lubrication after a couple hundred rounds is because CLP isn't a good lubricant and burns off readily.

We see a lot of ARs in our classes. Almost universally, rifles lubricated with high temperature wheel bearing grease run all day without requiring additional lubrication. Rifles lubricated with anything else tend to go dry and malfunction after a few hundred rounds. At a previous class we had a suppressed AR that burned off all of its frog lube in under 100 rounds and began malfunctioning. After being greased, it ran the rest of the day, including being run through a final drill by several students, having several hundred rounds fired through it in a short period of time. The rifle was too hot to hold, but the grease remained in place and the rifle was still slick. No light lubricant will handle that sort of abuse.

One of these days, I will buy a $4 1lb tub of high temp bearing grease from the auto parts store, stick it in a bunch of 10cc syringes, and sell them for $12 a piece as the next uber-doober-lube so gun guys can feel good that they spent way to much money on a specialty product. I'll make a million dollars and everyone will be happy that they finally have a gun lube that actually works as advertised.

I've heard several reports stating the same thing about frog lube - it either burns off or wears off in a hard use situation.

I still think it is a tool that has a great place in the world. I plan on using it on my EDC folders and handguns, pleasant smell, non-toxic and by all accounts works well under non-hard use situations and protects against rust quite well.

Next, who is going to demo how to grease an AR? I'm used to just soaking it down with CLP knock offs and going from there, but am really interested in how you use bearing grease.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I've heard several reports stating the same thing about frog lube - it either burns off or wears off in a hard use situation.

I still think it is a tool that has a great place in the world. I plan on using it on my EDC folders and handguns, pleasant smell, non-toxic and by all accounts works well under non-hard use situations and protects against rust quite well.

Next, who is going to demo how to grease an AR? I'm used to just soaking it down with CLP knock offs and going from there, but am really interested in how you use bearing grease.

Your EDC folder is a great place to use it. If you have to cut food it's nice to have something on there that is non toxic. For AR's however, just use grease. James Yeager has a video demonstrating its proper use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXIsKEHo-4g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I probably go a bit heavier on the grease with my personal rifle than James does here, but the important thing is getting it on the surfaces he is showing.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Thanks for the clarification. I did not mean to imply that dirt is magnetically attracted (like a tractor beam), but meant that dirt sticks in and to oil/grease. You made a valid point on that!

Since Frog Lube burns off so quickly, I am suprised there are no more people saying bad stuff about it. I know it is new and cool, but I hate to get bad info.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Thanks for the clarification. I did not mean to imply that dirt is magnetically attracted (like a tractor beam), but meant that dirt sticks in and to oil/grease. You made a valid point on that!

Since Frog Lube burns off so quickly, I am suprised there are no more people saying bad stuff about it. I know it is new and cool, but I hate to get bad info.

I'd wager its because most people don't fall into the category of people who run guns hard enough to make it fail.

I'll admit, I'm one of those people. I don't think I've ever put more than 3-400 rounds through a single gun during a shooting session. But I'm trying to get a few courses lined up to help alleviate that problem.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Your EDC folder is a great place to use it. If you have to cut food it's nice to have something on there that is non toxic. For AR's however, just use grease. James Yeager has a video demonstrating its proper use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXIsKEHo-4g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I probably go a bit heavier on the grease with my personal rifle than James does here, but the important thing is getting it on the surfaces he is showing.

Thanks for the link! I guess I'll swing by Autozone on the way home.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Thanks for the link! I guess I'll swing by Autozone on the way home.

Good! You're looking for "High temperature wheel bearing grease" It is a lithium complex grease. Somewhere on the container you will find the "drop point" listed and it should be around 500 degrees. The cheap stuff is just as good as the expensive synthetic stuff where guns are concerned.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Hey AD Marc, do you know how well the grease works in the sand? I am not planning on shooting at the beach or anywhere else that has a lot of sand, I am just curious.

Top Bottom