• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree. Its a racial stereotype at best, a slur at worst. Granted I'm not gonna get my panties in a wad over it, but its distasteful in polite society. I'll only go so far as saying that I dont recommend using it else other places might not be so forgiving.

But you do you. :dunno:

Edit: maybe since it didnt appear on your list you found, Maybe call a Rabbi and ask him what he thinks? Get it right from the horse's mouth.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I agree. Its a racial stereotype at best, a slur at worst. Granted I'm not gonna get my panties in a wad over it, but its distasteful in polite society. I'll only go so far as saying that I dont recommend using it else other places might not be so forgiving.

Edit: maybe since it didnt appear on your list you found, Maybe call a Rabbi and ask him what he thinks? Get it right from the horse's mouth.
    It won’t happen again.
    But my horse is offended. Wait, am I supposed to be offended for the Rabbi because he got called a horse?

ETA: I can definitely see the stereotype part of it, and I generally hate that kind of thing so from that perspective, it won’t happen again.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I'd agree that it originally may have been a stereotype/slur at first, IMO it's morphed well past that. IMO people now look for things to be offended by, whether it effects or relates to them. Look at all the non Am Indians that are up in arms about sports teams names/mascots. Or others things, a HS I went to mascot was Johnny Reb and yes had the battle flag. The school was TF South it's sister school was TF North. Yeah that got changed. My local high schools teams are the Indians.

From my understanding I'm 1/4 ethnic jew (Ashkenazi) so if I don't agree it's a slur does that count? Or do I have to be a Rabbi? If it is a slur am I allowed to use it? How about Hillbilly? My granddads family comes from the hills of W Virginia.
    Hey I just remembered to be offended, my mom used to be a gypsy, possibly. Maybe not.
    View attachment 180263
    Don't you know that Gypsy is a slur now as well. You're supposed to use "Romani". So is it acceptable to say I've been "Romanied"?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

A lot of Jewish comedians used to use the reputation that Jews had for being "frugal" in their comedy routines as self-deprecating humor. Dad used to use that term when I was growing up. I don't use it myself, but it wasn't meant to be disparaging when Dad used it. A stereotype, yes. Ethnic slur, no, not as he used it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    A lot of Jewish comedians used to use the reputation that Jews had for being "frugal" in their comedy routines as self-deprecating humor. Dad used to use that term when I was growing up. I don't use it myself, but it wasn't meant to be disparaging when Dad used it. A stereotype, yes. Ethnic slur, no, not as he used it.
    I think we can all agree that comedians say a lot of stuff that people would not say in day to day life.

There is little to no difference between a stereotype and a slur, whether it be cheap, lazy, stupid, subhuman, terrorist, etc. It's generally best not to use them on a public forum.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I think we can all agree that comedians say a lot of stuff that people would not say in day to day life.

There is little to no difference between a stereotype and a slur, whether it be cheap, lazy, stupid, subhuman, terrorist, etc. It's generally best not to use them on a public forum.
    What if I’m a comedian?
    That’s kinda tongue in cheek, but isn’t comedy a reflection of day to day life?

Are you saying that it’s wrong for people to say cheap, lazy, stupid, etc on a public forum? If so I would argue that you may be on the wrong forum. (It’s used a lot)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What if I’m a comedian?
    That’s kinda tongue in cheek, but isn’t comedy a reflection of day to day life?

Are you saying that it’s wrong for people to say cheap, lazy, stupid, etc on a public forum? If so I would argue that you may be on the wrong forum. (It’s used a lot)
    No, I'm saying there are ethnic/religious stereotypes for all of those things that are best not used in public conversation.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Ice monkey? I'm in my mid 60s and have been a lot of places, but I've never heard that one. Canadians maybe?
    20150215163309_54e12cb53f369.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Smart marketing. Unexpected, therefore memorable. Creates the appearance of generosity/community involvement. Unexpected 'gifts' nudge you toward reciprocating with more orders. If the coupons are for local businesses, gives them exposure.

Dominos has a strong media relations/marketing team. I am not a customer and I know they are offering $3 off for carryout. Why? Because a $3 discount is lame and boring, so they phrased it as a $3 tip for you to do it yourself. Media then picked it up and gave them free advertising in my news feed due to the uniqueness of it.
    Being one that notices this type of deceptive impressions I like to tell people and counter them. Hopefully it will make folks a little more savvy to the BS marketing…

Top Bottom