It's cool to take a loaded rifle into the Georgia airports!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just because you can does not always mean you should. Not against the law now.........Keep this up and it soon will be.
    We can argue rights all night long but this is not a way to press the issue.

JMHO of course. My opinion is worth, well, Nada.

And my opinion is about as worthless. I won't say it's not your right to do what the guy in the OP did. But I just wish people would stop pretending that stunts like this are somehow beneficial and leads to greater acceptance of guns in our culture.

But it if somebody can show me statistics where I'm wrong I'll keep an open mind.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    The bold part is the one I'm debating. So, what is the bigger picture? What history or evidence do you have which supports that carrying a long gun diminishes our rights to carry? There must be something that has happened in order for you to see it this way... otherwise it's just paranoia or that you just don't like the sight of seeing someone with a firearm, which is exactly what the anti's reasoning is. There is actual evidence where people have used a gun to defend themselves, but for the life of me I can't find anything or think of any situation where a responsible and law abiding citizen open carrying a long gun has caused laws to be passed that go against "your cause".

Would you be happy if a law was passed where you are no longer allowed to carry a long gun?

The bigger picture is winning the battle against the anti gun crowd and the politicians who side with them.

Of course I don't want any anti gun laws, long gun or otherwise, to be passed. Just because I can't name a case where open carry of a long gun has caused a anti gun law to be passed doesn't prove anything. Can you name a case where it has caused a pro gun law to be passed?

It is just a difference in the way we approach the subject. I will use the analogy of the NAACP as compared to the Black Panthers. Both ultimately wanted the same thing, but they had a very different approach as to how to get there. I personally believe that the Black Panthers hurt the cause more than they helped and that the NAACP and people like Dr MLK helped. I am sure there are those that disagree with me.

Maybe I just don't have that "in your face" attitude enough to suit some here, but I resent the implication that I do not support the 2A. I fully support the right, I just question the judgment of those that choose an AR-15 with a 100 round drum magazine to express it.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I'd like to see more Americans do what he did. the day is comin, IMO when we're gonna wish we had our rifles with us. I don't get scared when I see a cop or soldier with a rifle. WTH's the difference ? ISIS is headed our way. (lets not loose our heads)

If the day comes that ISIS or some other threat is really here I will be throwing an AR in every car. Who knows it may come to carrying one for real protection but right now it's just for show.

You say you don't get scared when you see a cop or a soldier with a rifle. Is that on TV? Because where I live down south, seeing a cop or a soldier walking with a rifle means the SHHTF somewhere and that, at the very least, raises my awareness if not actually puts some fear in my mind. It's just not a normal everyday thing to see and I hope it never becomes normal or that would mean we are in some serious crap.

I believe in being prepared, I just don't feel the need to tell the whole world about it.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I don't feel morally obligated to agree with people doing stuff that I think is weird and dumb, but when it's political speech about our right to be armed, then I do feel morally obligated to defend their right to do it, even if it's weird and dumb. I don't think we are betraying our cause if we make it known that we disagree with the wisdom of this type of open carry.

If these actions bring attempts at more restrictive gun laws, then I'm down for the fight and I will remember that the moron strutting around the airport with his AR is not my enemy even though my enemy reacted to him.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I'd like to see more Americans do what he did. the day is comin, IMO when we're gonna wish we had our rifles with us. I don't get scared when I see a cop or soldier with a rifle. WTH's the difference ? ISIS is headed our way. (lets not loose our heads)

The cop or soldier probably doesn't freak me out so much because I probably can figure out their motivation. Same with the person I recognize as being a hunter carrying a long gun. I can figure out their motivation.

If I'm in Wal-Mart and I see some dude with an AR slung, I am going to be a bit freaked out if I can't determine their motivation. To be honest, chances are I am going to assume he's an attention whore and attention whores make me nervous because I think they're mentally defective and that leads to them making rash and unfortunate decisions.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Exactly... it's all about rights. This man was exercising his rights yet here people are criticizing him for doing so. Once you draw the line, even as a gun owner, be ready for that line to be shortened. If something as simple as a long gun offends people and we as gun owners say "yeah I don't agree with that either" then why not take away carrying as a whole? Because even carrying pistols offends some people. Either support the second amendment completely, or not at all. Stop criticizing each other based on what offends you and see it for what it really is, an Constitutional right.

He should be criticized. It's stupid. I criticize the WBC when they protest. It's stupid. They are lots of times when the display of secured rights is (are?).... stupid. I could go to PETA rally with pictures of dead baby seals, and a shirt that say "Got Clubs," and I'd be stupid in expressing my rights.

Time and place bro, time and place.

Again.....just because you can does not mean you should.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    You say you don't get scared when you see a cop or a soldier with a rifle. Is that on TV? Because where I live down south, seeing a cop or a soldier walking with a rifle means the SHHTF somewhere and that, at the very least, raises my awareness if not actually puts some fear in my mind. It's just not a normal everyday thing to see and I hope it never becomes normal or that would mean we are in some serious crap.

When I lived in NYC, I would see someone carrying a long gun everyday. Rather funny, no?

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    When I lived in NYC, I would see someone carrying a long gun everyday. Rather funny, no?

Just one more reason I have no desire to live in NYC.
    I don't get freaked out when I see a cop with a rifle. Like someone else stated, I most likely would not get too worked up if I saw someone in a McDonalds with a rifle, but it would raise my awareness level a LOT whereas a sidearm barley goes noticed by me.

The only reason that is the case though is because I come to this board and know that those people exist. Prior to me "being into guns" I would have found it very off putting and downright scary to see a rifle in a McDonalds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    LEO/DHS (I would assume) every day around the subway. Nobody freaked out. Yet those same folks would be the ones to think a normal individual carrying a firearm is a nutjob/terrorist. I just find it to be rather hilarious.

We are actually discussing citizens and long guns. I have seen this a lot at the airport and other places as well.
    In these troubled times the sheep respond to any stimulus. You have to admit it is "Not" something we see every day as your post suggested. It did get my attention though.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    LEO/DHS (I would assume) every day around the subway. Nobody freaked out. Yet those same folks would be the ones to think a normal individual carrying a firearm is a nutjob/terrorist. I just find it to be rather hilarious.

Context... Kinda makes a difference. If it's not normal, people are going to want to know what's up, and they'll typically think the worst. Any idiot walks into anyplace I'm at, with a long gun, I'm leaving.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    We are actually discussing citizens and long guns.
    Maybe you should reread the post I was replying to in post #47. Long guns out does not always mean SHTF and can be normal in certain places. It isn't something I see everyday anymore either, but it was normal for me then (of course so were warrantless searches of my property).

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Context... Kinda makes a difference. If it's not normal, people are going to want to know what's up, and they'll typically think the worst. Any idiot walks into anyplace I'm at, with a long gun, I'm leaving.

Interesting. How can you tell if they are an idiot? Maybe they prefer to not be required to obtain government permission to exercise a right. I know that isn't fun for you, since you don't like the idea of constitutional carry and prefer to be the master.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Maybe you should reread the post I was replying to in post #47. Long guns out does not always mean SHTF and can be normal in certain places. It isn't something I see everyday anymore either, but it was normal for me then (of course so were warrantless searches of my property).

I did read it. We all perceive things through our own eyes. I mentioned it was vague because it was. Not a knock just wanted more info in context to the thread.

Was this experience during and shortly after 9-11. If so it would have been the standard. That is what we experienced here at that time.

Top Bottom