It's cool to take a loaded rifle into the Georgia airports!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, it's actually legal to take a firearm into any airport, but is this something that should be done? He said "If we don't exercise our rights, the government has no problem taking them away." We will see how this one goes, but I'm not a fan of the 'just because we can' rule.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/georgia-man-legally-carry-ar-15-rifle-atlanta-airport-article-1.2244745?utm_content=buffer98f73&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=NYDN+Facebook

Man raises eyebrows carrying rifle through Atlanta Airport | www.wsbtv.com

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I think it was Tam in her View from the Porch blog, around the time of the open carry / Starbucks goings on, who likened this to carrying a large rake or shovel around.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I fully support anyone's right to open carry but please don't do it with a long gun.

This does not help our cause IMO. We are not going to win over anyone who is "on the fence" with this type of behavior. In fact, we give ammunition to our opponents. You can make the point that you want to protect yourself and your rights with a sidearm and not look like a rebel without a clue.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sure, just not past the security screeners.

I would argue not to even proceed past the entryway to the secured areas. (dont go beyond the food court) Nothing down there but a no-go zone and is only asking for trouble. (as if OCing a long gun wasnt already asking...)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I fully support anyone's right to open carry but please don't do it with a long gun.

This does not help our cause IMO. We are not going to win over anyone who is "on the fence" with this type of behavior. In fact, we give ammunition to our opponents. You can make the point that you want to protect yourself and your rights with a sidearm and not look like a rebel without a clue.

QFT! Outside of an honest to God organized protest march, it sure as hell doesnt help matters any to OC a rifle out and about the town.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    The article says he had not only his ar-15, but (for even more attention?) he was also sporting his 100 round drum magazine. It also said he had his wife and daughter with him - if I tried to cart my ar-15 into the Indianapolis airport my wife would either refuse to go in with me, or beat me with whatever was handy until I changed my mind. I have to give his wife credit for supporting him...

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have nothing wrong with organized OC events, wherever they may take place (well, maybe not a polling place or at places of worship), in opposition of legislation to hinder 2A rights. However, this type of exercise of freedom only causes anti's to wonder if more laws are needed.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think it was Tam in her View from the Porch blog, around the time of the open carry / Starbucks goings on, who likened this to carrying a large rake or shovel around.

Actually Tam says "there is a distinction between carrying a gun around people and carrying a gun AT people."

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I've carried several time at Indy when picking up or dropping off people. A lot of people don't really know the law, so I normally CC to avoid the hassle. I do OC too, but haven't done so at the airport.

A rifle would be sure to raise some eyebrows...

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    There's a time and a place for these kind of actions. I see neither at play here.

As others have said, in various ways, just because you can, it doesn't mean you should.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    IBGhgmhmhnhmh

In an article, the Atlanta mayor is quoted as saying:
    "I thought it was a mistake then, it's a mistake now,"Reed said. "It's caused us to have to take additional measures to protect the airport and secure it."

I'm very curious what these additional measures are. I mean, if they are worried about what might happen with someone OCing an AR in the airport, it seems like a response might be a phalanx of security. Yet, that does not appear to have been the reaction.

And truly, how WOULD you secure an airport against something like this? You would almost literally need a couple hundred similarly armed security. I don't think that's going to happen.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie

I support his right to do it. However, it gains us far more enemies than friends.

I disagree. While we may not get "friends" while doing this, I don't see it getting us any more enemies. Nothing bad happened...

While I don't support the fact that he dressed his AR up with a 100 round drum, he didn't do anything wrong. Here we are judging other gun owners for carrying, while wanting it to be looked past by the general public. How do pro 2A citizens like the people on INGO sit here and judge others for doing what they think should be, not only legal everywhere, but also not frowned upon by the general public? While I'd never see the need to carry a rifle around unless I'm going to a range or hunting, I'm not going to sit here and tell other people they shouldn't do it. I fully support carrying a firearm, no matter what that firearm might be. I don't care if someone wants to carry a Hi-point, Kimber, AR, AK, an AR 50, or even a freaking M249. Just as long as they are doing so responsibly. IMO, we should stop judging and start supporting.

Over the past few years we've seen many people carrying rifles into public places. Every time you see threads on here where we are against it because, "It's not helping our cause", "Next thing you know they are going to ban long guns" blah blah blah... yet nothing has happened. Perhaps, instead of not doing it, people should do it and show the public and the politicians that it is actually alright to carry a long gun because just like a pistol, they don't kill people all on their own. :twocents:

Top Bottom