• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It is summer again and I am again thinking about a small 9mm for CC. Would like to know, if you have had experience with one of the few I am considering and what you like or dislike about it. The ones I am considering are ruger lc9, glock 43, kel tec pf9 and S&W shield.

Thanks

What gun is your normal EDC? That would help us provide more insight.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    What gun is your normal EDC? That would help us provide more insight.

THIS.

If you currently EDC any sort of M&P, then get the Shield. If you EDC a Glock, get the Glock 43.

If you EDC anything other than a Glock or a M&P, then stop and buy a Glock or an M&P, because they are better than what you currently have. :D

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    another vote for the shield.
    The others aren't bad, but the Shield (considering price) is just about impossible to beat.

Also consider the Walther CCP - on sale at KYgunco I believe

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    My shield's trigger is heavy, I'm guessing about 7#, but it's take up is fairly short and smooth. No grit. Then breaks clean. Reset is positive and audible. Mine is the no thumb safety version and have heard the factory triggers on those models are better than the ones with.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    New issue of Guns and Ammo came in the mail today...great article on a 10 gun shootout between current single stack 9mm's! They tested each gun with 650 rounds and documented ALL malfunctions. The winners? Believe it or not, the Taurus 709 Slim, the Walther PPS and the Kahr CM9. All had zero malfunctions over 650 rounds. Surprised the hell out of me too! LC9 Pro and the Shield were in the running also.

I have a PF-9 that my father now carries, it has been dead nuts reliable. My current small 9 is a older LC9 (hammer version).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    New issue of Guns and Ammo came in the mail today...great article on a 10 gun shootout between current single stack 9mm's! They tested each gun with 650 rounds and documented ALL malfunctions. The winners? Believe it or not, the Taurus 709 Slim, the Walther PPS and the Kahr CM9. All had zero malfunctions over 650 rounds. Surprised the hell out of me too! LC9 Pro and the Shield were in the running also.

I have a PF-9 that my father now carries, it has been dead nuts reliable. My current small 9 is a older LC9 (hammer version).

I was reading part of this recently as well, but don't have it right in front of me currently. I don't believe there were any malfunctions with the Glock were there? I'll check it again when I get home. I only read a few of the specific gun reviews on my first quick pass. If I recall correctly the Beretta had both sights decide to part ways with the gun during various round counts.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Glock had no issues, Ruger had no issues, Shield had like one FTF. They were basing their winners on the ergonomics and handling basically. Beretta imploded from the start, Kel Tec had multiple FTF. One thing to note, all the guns that did well were the LARGER of the weapons. For the size of the 43 and the Walther PPS I can carry a 26 or a M&P Compact and have more rounds!

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I was reading part of this recently as well, but don't have it right in front of me currently. I don't believe there were any malfunctions with the Glock were there? I'll check it again when I get home. I only read a few of the specific gun reviews on my first quick pass. If I recall correctly the Beretta had both sights decide to part ways with the gun during various round counts.

You are correct. The 43 did not have any failures. I cannot believe the Taurus did so well. I read some other reviews of the Taurus and none of them were good.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I am also looking to buy a single stack. The G43 is not on the list. I'm not a fan of the feel of Glocks. My wife has the CM9 and I hate the DA trigger. I am considering the xDs, Shield (with or w/o safety) and LC9s. My EDC right now is a xDm 40. I really want to like the xDs but the slide release cuts into my thumb when I tested the xDs 45. I love the sights on the xDs. I like the trigger on the LC9s but I don't like as well as the Shield. The Shield feels a little better in my hands

What to do, what to do? I have read that the shield's trigger gets better after 500-1000 rounds.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    My shield's trigger is heavy, I'm guessing about 7#, but it's take up is fairly short and smooth. No grit. Then breaks clean. Reset is positive and audible. Mine is the no thumb safety version and have heard the factory triggers on those models are better than the ones with.

I wish I could find a Shield w/o a safety to compare the a LC9s or Shield w/ safety.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Find a range that rents everything you're considering and try them. My wife and I both went in expecting to buy a Shield but after shooting them we were both MUCH more accurate with the XDs. We both agree that the Shield feels better in the hand, but we're better shots with the Springfield.

Top Bottom