Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Someone help me here.

There appear to be two clear camps.
    1) those who insist on saying ISIS
    2) those who insist on saying ISIL

its the same group, right? There must be some important distinction I'm missing.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I call them Islamic Jack Wagons....the world is confused about ISIS/L in thinnkgin they are religious, they are not. They are totally political...they need to be blown off the face of the planet...I support Trump's attitude toward these losers.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Someone help me here.

its the same group, right? There must be some important distinction I'm missing.

I would say that the Islamic State is the Islamic State wherever it may be found. I don't understand the big deal about this. It is like arguing that the US Army stationed in the US, the US Army stationed in Germany, the US Army stationed in South Korea, and the US Army stationed in Iraq are different organizations.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Someone help me here.

There's no distinction other than location. "S" being Syria and Iraq and "L" being Levant. The Levant is the region roughly centered around Lebanon/Turkey/Israel.

The Arabs call them Daesh, which roughly translates as "to be stepped on/to be stomped on".

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    When I hear Isis, I think back to Saturday's of my youth and JoAnna Cameron. Another name/phrase from my younger days that will forever be corrupted.

[video=youtube;Fn29b0cgnaE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn29b0cgnaE[/video]

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    When I hear Isis, I think back to Saturday's of my youth and JoAnna Cameron. Another name/phrase from my younger days that will forever be corrupted.

[video=youtube;Fn29b0cgnaE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn29b0cgnaE[/video]

OK, you've had your fun. Now go take a cold shower and get back to the geopolitics!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I may be wrong,but the Levant only recognizes Palestine BUT not Israel.

The frogs gave us "Levant" ("the rising", where the sun comes up, east of Acre, Jerusalem, etc.). They used it to reference Syria and Lebanon, which they had, while my people had the rest of the Middle East (betcha people wish we still had it:D).

"Levant" is sort of like "Midwest" or "The South" or other vaguely-defined areas but references countries, not states.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I may be wrong,but the Levant only recognizes Palestine BUT not Israel.Notice that who says "L"and not "S" seems to have a problem WITH Israel.

I suppose there may be different contexts, but it's the general region around Lebanon. I became aware of the term learning Arabic. Levantine Arabic is the dialect my wife speaks, and was VERY different then, say, north African dialect.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Close our borders to Mid East travelers. If you wanna go there you get to stay there. It's time to close our borders for a while at least to ALL outsiders

Meh I'm not scared of ISIS, just screen new immigrants well. It's this same over reaction that's taking away our civil liberties, costing us billions more and will make catching my flight tomorrow take 30 min longer than it should. I'm much more likely to get gunned down by a thug walking though indy than to ever be victim of a terrorist attack. I just don't buy into the fear mongering.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Meh I'm not scared of ISIS, just screen new immigrants well. It's this same over reaction that's taking away our civil liberties, costing us billions more and will make catching my flight tomorrow take 30 min longer than it should. I'm much more likely to get gunned down by a thug walking though indy than to ever be victim of a terrorist attack. I just don't buy into the fear mongering.

Seriously? Screen the new immigrants well? You are joking, aren't you? This would be problematic even if they had any intention of making any but the most cursory screening, which so far as I have been able to tell, it stops at lip service to the concept.

There is a huge difference between being more selective about who we admit to the country and making it impossible to live within the intent of the Fourth Amendment or travel by air without being sexually molested, at least if you are from any group other than the one to which the problem persons belong.

Just because you believe, correctly or incorrectly, that a common criminal is a greater threat, does that justify choosing to have both threats instead of only one?

These guys have been around a lot longer than IS. The acronym belongs to them, not the terrorists.
    ISIL

Ironic that the two groups appear to be diametrically opposed in their thinking.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yeah screen them. I'm sure they will admit if they are terrorist or not. Lol.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Close our borders to Mid East travelers. If you wanna go there you get to stay there. It's time to close our borders for a while at least to ALL outsiders

It's funny how quick "those who trade liberty for safety deserve neither" flips when it doesn't effect you personally.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yeah screen them. I'm sure they will admit if they are terrorist or not. Lol.

Absolutely! And, to expedite the process, they will wear their ISIS flag T-shirts so we can identify them without going to the time and trouble of actually having to question them.

Our own political leaders scare me MUCH MORE than any religious nutjobs.

I am not going to argue here, but will stand by the notion that having one of the two as an immediate threat is bad enough without voluntarily allowing both threats inside our borders simultaneously.

Top Bottom