Is there any reason not to get a progressive for starting out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Yeah, hang onto all the 9mm you can find, and if you need more, well it's about as hard to find as a welfare Democrat, these days. Anyone who buys brand new 9mm brass, to reload, is a suckah! But heck, even if you were to buy new brass, you have to keep in mind that each piece can be reloaded at least 10 times, (20 or more, if sub-sonic). When you amortize the cost over 10 or 20 loadings...hell, it's practically FREE. Buy once-fired and it's half of FREE!. :D

I'll make one other point about the differences between reloading on a true progressive and a turret or single-stage press. You've got to be "ready" to load on a progressive, in order to really magnify the speed advantage it offers. What I mean by that is, if you're going to load 1,000 rounds in an afternoon, you've got to have 1,000 cases, primers and bullets, with nearly a full pound of powder...or else you're not "ready". It's a mass-production effort and hardly worth it if all you're loading is 50 or 100 cases.

On a turret or single-stage, I can go out and enjoy reloading, even if I'm only prepping and/or loading 50-100 rounds. It might take me half an hour to an hour to load that many, depending on the exact round and how precise I'm being, but that is perfectly fine with me. I'm in no hurry.

I don't have a beef with progressive presses...it's just that I really don't want to be done that fast. I like being free to work in small bunches or spend the whole afternoon turning out several hundred. With a progressive, it's hardly worth pulling the handle unless you're doing that many.

Some things in life are tedious, repetitive and laborious. If that's how you view reloading, a progressive is the right press for you. For those of us who like slowing down and doing something very well, the slower presses make an enjoyable hobby last longer, while still turning out a fair amount very high quality ammo.

To each his own! :ingo:

You make a very good point. I don't want it to feel like a job. I want it to be fun and enjoy it. I understand what you mean when you put it that way, I can see where cranking out rounds on a progrssive could just seem like your working in an ammo factory instead of having a good time actually making the rounds.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Well, I think reloading for bulk 9mm may not be the best option. I just bought 2000rds of WWB 115gr FMJ for $460 shipped. I did alot of running numbers on the reloading calculator, and I could barely reload for that price. So I think Ill just stick to buying bulk pack.

If I ever do decide to start reloading, Ill be sure and check back with this thread.

Thanks everyone for all your help. Its very much appreciated.

Using range brass, I reload 2000 9mm for approx $200.00
    The key is you have to purchase components in bulk.
    Buying primers or bullets at 100 at a time won't cut it.

I disagree with some of the above, it's very simple to go out and just reload 50 rnds if need be. Takes about 10 minutes taking my time. I sure do not feel it's like working in an ammo factory in anyway shape or form.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Using range brass, I reload 2000 9mm for approx $200.00
    The key is you have to purchase components in bulk.
    Buying primers or bullets at 100 at a time won't cut it.

I disagree with some of the above, it's very simple to go out and just reload 50 rnds if need be. Takes about 10 minutes taking my time. I sure do not feel it's like working in an ammo factory in anyway shape or form.

With all due respect, you're kind of missing my point, from earlier...

If it only took me 10 minutes to load 50 rounds, and that meant I was done reloading, that would be disappointing to me. There are some things that should take longer than 10 minutes...just ask any woman! :D

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Everyone here has given great advice. I am still very new to Reloading and chose to start on a RCBS single stage. I decided to start here because I knew that it was going to 1) last forever 2) be the least complicated to start with 3) many of the people who have reloaded for 30+ years have.done it with a RCBS Rock Chucker. Also I was thinking SHTF situations and if it does I won't need as many replacement parts as a progressive or turret. Be safe and learn SLOW you WILL make mistakes guaranteed.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Maybe it feels like work because it is. The only enjoyment I get from reloading is a sense of accomplishment and more shooting. Neither of which is increased by increasing the time I spend at the press. There is no magic to reloading, once a load is set, there's little to do but crank out the rounds and that's not terribly enthralling, especially not on a single or turret press.

I suppose if you really enjoy the actual process, then a single or turret is nearly orgasmic, for me, a progressive is the most efficient way to accomplish the task.

I guess I'm not a true reloader though, just a handle pulling monkey that likes to shoot.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Maybe it feels like work because it is. The only enjoyment I get from reloading is a sense of accomplishment and more shooting. Neither of which is increased by increasing the time I spend at the press. There is no magic to reloading, once a load is set, there's little to do but crank out the rounds and that's not terribly enthralling, especially not on a single or turret press.

I suppose if you really enjoy the actual process, then a single or turret is nearly orgasmic, for me, a progressive is the most efficient way to accomplish the task.

I guess I'm not a true reloader though, just a handle pulling monkey that likes to shoot.

Well put :rockwoot:

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.

These my original intentions, and very much the reason I asked the question to begin with. I might find I enjoy reloading, but I can guarentee ill like shooting that ammo even more. So my original thoughts were "less time reloading, more time shooting".

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    These my original intentions, and very much the reason I asked the question to begin with. I might find I enjoy reloading, but I can guarentee ill like shooting that ammo even more. So my original thoughts were "less time reloading, more time shooting".

Those are very good thoughts. I started with a turret press and was miserable until I got a progressive. I certainly wish I had started with a progressive, but I was poor and the turret was free.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Those are very good thoughts. I started with a turret press and was miserable until I got a progressive. I certainly wish I had started with a progressive, but I was poor and the turret was free.

Just out of curiosity, what cartridges do you reload for and how many do you shoot per year?

I think the reason I truly enjoy reloading has a lot to do with the single-shot specialty pistol rounds and wildcat cartridges for which I'm reloading. When you're feeding a single-shot 30 Herrett, 6.5JDJ or 7-30 Waters, or an old classic with a paper-thin mouth, like a 44/40, you don't need volume, you need care and precision. The same is true of powerful centerfire big-game cartridges and old WWII bolt-action rifles.

I suppose if I needed to turn out thousands, or tens of thousands, of a select few pistol rounds, I would by more inclined to use a progressive. I would STILL recommend anyone who is getting into reloading to start with a turret or single-stage press. YMMV. :patriot:

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Just out of curiosity, what cartridges do you reload for and how many do you shoot per year?

I think the reason I truly enjoy reloading has a lot to do with the single-shot specialty pistol rounds and wildcat cartridges for which I'm reloading. When you're feeding a single-shot 30 Herrett, 6.5JDJ or 7-30 Waters, or an old classic with a paper-thin mouth, like a 44/40, you don't need volume, you need care and precision. The same is true of powerful centerfire big-game cartridges and old WWII bolt-action rifles.

I suppose if I needed to turn out thousands, or tens of thousands, of a select few pistol rounds, I would by more inclined to use a progressive. I would STILL recommend anyone who is getting into reloading to start with a turret or single-stage press. YMMV. :patriot:

I reload a lot of pistol ammo, probably close to 10k a year, 9mm, .38, .357, .45ACP, .45 Schofield, .45 Colt, .45 Cowboy Special. I also reload .45-70, but I do it on a single-stage due to not having a conversion kit yet and low volume.

Sounds like your method is perfect for you and mine is for me.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I reload a lot of pistol ammo, probably close to 10k a year, 9mm, .38, .357, .45ACP, .45 Schofield, .45 Colt, .45 Cowboy Special. I also reload .45-70, but I do it on a single-stage due to not having a conversion kit yet and low volume.

Sounds like your method is perfect for you and mine is for me.

I couldn't agree more! :)

Your game is lots of rounds; mine is itty-bitty little groups and venison in the freezer. Two different objectives, two different ammunition needs and two different types of reloading press. God, what a great country this is! :patriot:

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    With all due respect, you're kind of missing my point, from earlier...

If it only took me 10 minutes to load 50 rounds, and that meant I was done reloading, that would be disappointing to me. There are some things that should take longer than 10 minutes...just ask any woman! :D

I will never look at my Lee Classic turret the same again! :naughty:

Top Bottom