Is there any reason not to get a progressive for starting out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    Buy one of these and tune it properly, it will virtually eliminate the chance of a squib or double charge (I say virtually because someone must be stupid enough to mess it up, but I can't imagine how).

IEWIU.jpg

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Buy one of these and tune it properly, it will virtually eliminate the chance of a squib or double charge (I say virtually because someone must be stupid enough to mess it up, but I can't imagine how).

IEWIU.jpg

[STRIKE]I have no idea what that is. :dunno:[/STRIKE]

Nevermind, I didnt see the link. Thanks, but I dont think that will fit in an LnL.

Last edited:

StrongSide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have been thinking the same thing. I am hoping for some decent deals(powers, etc) Saturday at the crown point gun show (not holding my breath)

Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    [STRIKE]I have no idea what that is. :dunno:[/STRIKE]

Nevermind, I didnt see the link. Thanks, but I dont think that will fit in an LnL.

I do not see why it would not fit an LNL. I have been using rcbs carbide dies for 9mm.just buy the quick bushing for hornady. One of the reaons why i chose it over the dillon ( great machine as i have read).

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I do not see why it would not fit an LNL. I have been using rcbs carbide dies for 9mm.just buy the quick bushing for hornady. One of the reaons why i chose it over the dillon ( great machine as i have read).

LnL's dont screw in, they just push in and twist. Unless Im missing something, which I probably am.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The LNL bushing accepts standard dies, the bushing then locks into the top of the press with a simple press and quarter turn. The bushings allow you to quickly change calibers because you set your dies into the bushing, adjust them and leave them in the bushing. If you change calibers you remove the bushing with the dies. You then install another set of bushings and put the next caliber dies in those bushings, you leave that caliber dies in that new set of bushings. Then to switch calibers you simply swap them back. The dies are set and adjusted into the bushings so when you remove them and reinstall them they always remain perfectly adjusted. Consider them to be similar to a quick attach scope mount.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Young man, you asked a very good question. As an old(er) man, I'll give you a very good answer.

There is no reason not to get a progressive for your first press, but there are a lot of good reasons to get a single-stage or a turret-style press, instead.

Say you wanted to learn how to juggle knives or chainsaws...would you start out with 3 or 4 at at time, or would you figure out how to juggle one, perfectly, before moving on to 2 and then 3?

Reloading ammunition IS potentially dangerous. If you don't understand and respect that, you simply should not reload at all...ever. This isn't like making cake pops or hair clips...you screw THIS up and hot scraps of metal are flying around your face and hands.

You have asked questions about several things that has me suspicious, or HIGHLY concerned, for someone who is about to start gunsmithing school. I mean, you said "case widening"...that could be taken to mean a variety of things, but demonstrates a lack of fundamental knowledge concerning metallic cartridges. If gunsmithing school has an entry exam...you just failed it.

Get a reloading book and read the sections on reloading (not the recipes) several times. When the stars begin to align and you can see the constellations (you "get it") then come back and you'll have far better questions to ask. I say that with all due respect, because you're seemingly very green for someone who is planning to load tens of thousands of rounds for a fully automatic weapon.

Another thing to consider, if you really do pursue becoming a gunsmith, is that a lot of your potential income will be derived from guys who want very accurate rifles. They may not care at all about pistols, AR's or automatic anything, which means you will need to become familiar with a segment of the shooting world that I dare say has escaped your notice, thus far. If/when that happens, a single-stage press will be on your radar. There is nothing "fast" about reloading VERY accurate bolt-action ammunition.

I think you're being sincere, and not a troll; I certainly hope that is the case. If so, you need to pump the brakes a little and slow 'er down. ;) Read up on reloading until you can have a meaningful dialog about it. Then, remember the old adage about learning to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run. A Dillon progressive press is a full-on sprint, in the reloading world, and trust me...you ain't ready for that, yet.

:twocents:

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    If you are anywhere near Logansport, you can come by and I'll let you try a Dillon 650.

I started with a Lee turret, then moved to a Lee Load master, then went to the Dillon 650, and I am thinking about adding the LnL bullet feed to the dillon. This year I started loading .223 and due to conversion kit costs, I decided to pick up a single station press to start with and now I am glad I did because loading bottle necked cases is a slower process and the single stage is great for the size/deprime phase even with the progressive.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy

It fits in my LNL ;). This is actually the reason I bought the LNL over a 550, the fifth hole!

LnL's dont screw in, they just push in and twist. Unless Im missing something, which I probably am.

Like mentioned above, LNL does not take any special die, it just has an added feature to quickly change calibers.

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    CT, I'm just getting into reloading and initially bought a Lee 4-hole turret press. It's got "auto-indexing", so you can essentially work through those same stages as a progressive, just one bullet at a time. This helps you account for the quality control everyone has been mentioning. You can also get the turret plates for Lee presses that are quick and simple to swap out if you decide to set up another caliber.

I do more "precision" loading instead of the bulk loading like you are wanting to do, so I've recently added a single-stage RCBS press and an older non-indexing turret press to do all my reloading with.

I just put up my extra RCBS single-stage and the Lee turret up for sale in the classifieds. I live over in Orange County if you would like to come over and see the process of using a single stage or a turret, and could probably set you up nicely with that Lee turret to do what you need it to do (minus the dies) if you decide that's the direction you want to go or want to start out with a cheaper turret before making the investment in a full progressive set-up. Let me know if you might be interested in doing something like this.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Had aprogressive years ago and didn't like it. Too many things happening at once to watch
    For errors. I still like my single stage cause it's simple. You are learning a new craft and you
    Will make mistakes...a single stage may allow you to catch them sooner. You will always find uses for your single stage once you graduate to a progressive

Do what you want, but remember,
    A progressive lets you make the mistakes that you're gonna make as a beginner a lot faster so that you have to dis-assemble many more once completed cartridges to correct your error in order to make them once corrected, twice completed cartridges.
    :):
    Be aware that your powder measure will "creep" as you use it. Weigh a charge once in a while. Like at least once every 50 rds. It may have more to do with the powder settling as you rattle the machine than actual movement of the measure in the powder cylinder but you can get some mighty snappy 9MM loads if you don't monitor it. You'll learn with less pain on a single stage. But painful lessons will stay with you longer.:dunno:

YOU have to figure out what is right for u.:ar15:

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Young man, you asked a very good question. As an old(er) man, I'll give you a very good answer.

There is no reason not to get a progressive for your first press, but there are a lot of good reasons to get a single-stage or a turret-style press, instead.

Say you wanted to learn how to juggle knives or chainsaws...would you start out with 3 or 4 at at time, or would you figure out how to juggle one, perfectly, before moving on to 2 and then 3?

Reloading ammunition IS potentially dangerous. If you don't understand and respect that, you simply should not reload at all...ever. This isn't like making cake pops or hair clips...you screw THIS up and hot scraps of metal are flying around your face and hands.

You have asked questions about several things that has me suspicious, or HIGHLY concerned, for someone who is about to start gunsmithing school. I mean, you said "case widening"...that could be taken to mean a variety of things, but demonstrates a lack of fundamental knowledge concerning metallic cartridges. If gunsmithing school has an entry exam...you just failed it.

Get a reloading book and read the sections on reloading (not the recipes) several times. When the stars begin to align and you can see the constellations (you "get it") then come back and you'll have far better questions to ask. I say that with all due respect, because you're seemingly very green for someone who is planning to load tens of thousands of rounds for a fully automatic weapon.

Another thing to consider, if you really do pursue becoming a gunsmith, is that a lot of your potential income will be derived from guys who want very accurate rifles. They may not care at all about pistols, AR's or automatic anything, which means you will need to become familiar with a segment of the shooting world that I dare say has escaped your notice, thus far. If/when that happens, a single-stage press will be on your radar. There is nothing "fast" about reloading VERY accurate bolt-action ammunition.

I think you're being sincere, and not a troll; I certainly hope that is the case. If so, you need to pump the brakes a little and slow 'er down. ;) Read up on reloading until you can have a meaningful dialog about it. Then, remember the old adage about learning to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run. A Dillon progressive press is a full-on sprint, in the reloading world, and trust me...you ain't ready for that, yet.

:twocents:

Thank you for your response sir. I dont mean this to come off as snappy, so please dont take it that way, but I can assure you I am no troll. As far as me saying "case widening", I apologize for not knowing the "lingo" of reloading, its something I've heard before and was only asking questions for other to clarify. I have absolutely no experience in reloading and have never even witnessed it in person, it is just something I have always been interested in.

As far as gunsmithing schools go, I have been working on and tinkering with all sorts of guns since I was 6 years old. Not having knowledge of reloading has nothing to do with gunsmithing skills, and I am only attending the school because my GI Bill is paying for it and I want to learn more about what I already know. I really have no intentions of opening a gunsmith shop. I also like to think I know a thing or two about long distance shooting, but thats not important now.

Thank you for your concern about my safety. I was merely asking a question, because I have no experience on the matter, and I didnt see a reason to spend the money on a single stage if I will be moving to a progressive soon after.

CT, I'm just getting into reloading and initially bought a Lee 4-hole turret press. It's got "auto-indexing", so you can essentially work through those same stages as a progressive, just one bullet at a time. This helps you account for the quality control everyone has been mentioning. You can also get the turret plates for Lee presses that are quick and simple to swap out if you decide to set up another caliber.

I do more "precision" loading instead of the bulk loading like you are wanting to do, so I've recently added a single-stage RCBS press and an older non-indexing turret press to do all my reloading with.

I just put up my extra RCBS single-stage and the Lee turret up for sale in the classifieds. I live over in Orange County if you would like to come over and see the process of using a single stage or a turret, and could probably set you up nicely with that Lee turret to do what you need it to do (minus the dies) if you decide that's the direction you want to go or want to start out with a cheaper turret before making the investment in a full progressive set-up. Let me know if you might be interested in doing something like this.

Thanks for your offer, and Id love to take you up on it, but unfortunately Im not going to be home for quite some time yet, and then its straight off to college for me as soon as do get back.

To anyone else reading, Im about to buy the ABC's of reloading handbook, but I have to buy another one to get free shipping. What should I get?

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    As to manuals I like Lee or RCBS as that's what I started with. The ABCs might be helpful
    But might be info overload...for a newbe .

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Broom_jm makes some good points. I am in favor of starting with a single stage or at most a turret press (non progressive). Learn the process, develop a good load for your firearm before you try to load 10,000 rounds as quickly as possible. Are you able to learn the process with more exotic equipment? sure, but at the same time you will be trying to learn the equipment.
    Read some loading manuals, maybe take a class, learn the process, THEN get a high zoot progressive press.
    For the record, I do most of my reloading on a Dillon 650 and load development with a basic lee press.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The reason for buying a single-stage is to learn the process of reloading, and to have the right tool for the job, if you ever decide you want very accurate bolt-action ammunition, in lower quantities. If all you're ever going to reload is LOTS of 9mm, 40, 45 or other pistol ammo, a progressive is fine, but as a gunsmith, I seriously doubt your scope is going to remain that narrow.

Thank you very much for your service to country and I wish you nothing but success in the future. I would also be glad to show you the ropes, when it comes to reloading, if you are interested.

Jason

Top Bottom