• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Yeah, you can. The population isn't that big (yet) and is really scattered so to have any sort of chance you'd have to know somebody that knows were they're running when you want to come down. Supposedly the "hot spot" that I know about is the area from around Chrisney-Gentryville towards Boonville-Lynville. Think I remember hearing about some more up in Brown, Greene, Martin and Orange Counties.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Yeah, you can. The population isn't that big (yet) and is really scattered so to have any sort of chance you'd have to know somebody that knows were they're running when you want to come down. Supposedly the "hot spot" that I know about is the area from around Chrisney-Gentryville towards Boonville-Lynville. Think I remember hearing about some more up in Brown, Greene, Martin and Orange Counties.

This makes me >>> :D

I live in Dubois County, and Ive been wanting to shoot pigs for a LONG time now.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This makes me >>> :D

I live in Dubois County, and Ive been wanting to shoot pigs for a LONG time now.

I've personally seen a few here in south eastern Lawrence county. Some friends at work that live over around Leesville/Fort Ritner say theyve seen quite often over there.

birdwing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Lowell
    I don't know what I was thinking but I assume you mean the bovine type and not the kind that we meet in bars from time to time.:ladiesman:
    This is my prefered caliber for the bar pigs.
    colt_45.jpg

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Used to hunt them around great gramps farm in Putnam Co. a long time ago but they have been eliminated out that way as far as I know.
    I was looking into hunts a couple years ago and the impression I got was the populations were expanding pretty well everywhere. Maybe that's not the case. This is just a wild guess but are they considered varmint or pests where there is no season on them?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I've personally seen a few here in south eastern Lawrence county. Some friends at work that live over around Leesville/Fort Ritner say theyve seen quite often over there.

Well I know people are gonna hate on me for this, but I've been so jealous of the Texans that live targets running rampant through their land. I dont want the destruction they bring, but I dont think I will EVER be bored again if we had hogs.

Hate if you want, but I'd like to have them.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I was looking into hunts a couple years ago and the impression I got was the populations were expanding pretty well everywhere. Maybe that's not the case. This is just a wild guess but are they considered varmint or pests where there is no season on them?

That is correct. Like my above post says, an unlimited supply of 24/7 live targets just begging to get a taste of copper and lead. :ar15:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

It is my understanding that Coyote and Ferel pig are pests and open to hunt.
    My cousins still hunt out in Putnam Co. and say they have not seen any activity for a long while. They have seen Coyote and kill them when they can.
    We used to hunt them in the spring and fall every year.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    It is my understanding that Coyote and Ferel pig are pests and open to hunt.
    My cousins still hunt out in Putnam Co. and say they have not seen any activity for a long while. They have seen Coyote and kill them when they can.
    We used to hunt them in the spring and fall every year.

Coyotes are only year round on private property, if that makes a difference for you.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I did not know that but we only hunt them on private ground. Thanks....might have saved me some embarrassment and some money.

This is from the DNR's website.

"Coyotes that are taken outside the hunting and trapping season by a landowner or someone with written permission from a land owner cannot be possessed live for more than 24 hours, and the live coyote cannot be sold, traded, bartered or gifted."

Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana

"Coyotes that are taken outside the hunting and trapping season by a landowner or someone with written permission from a land owner cannot be possessed live for more than 24 hours, and the live coyote cannot be sold, traded, bartered or gifted."

Was there really such a problem that they had to specifically mention that you can't barter with live coyotes? Well, there goes my plans for a coyotes for guns program :(.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Was there really such a problem that they had to specifically mention that you can't barter with live coyotes? Well, there goes my plans for a coyotes for guns program :(.

Ummmm...yeah there was, back in the '70's.

But when the Roadrunner retired, the demand dried up overnight.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Is there any good way to fix coyote? Is it like Carp? You nail them to a board, throw them in the fire and when they are done you throw the carp away and eat the board??

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

My wife wants me to make her a pair of boots from Coyote. I don't see it but she does. There are a few places that will do this but it takes a few to get enough good hide I am told. Live ones, I think we will pass on that.

Top Bottom