Is there a duty to act?? What would you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    No perceived threat until you see a weapon being brandished

What ? Someone articulates, in no uncertain terms, that they have a gun and you don't "perceive" a threat ?

All questions in my mind are now gone. BG just made an appointment with his maker.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Hi there,
    I have a question as to how you would act in this situation. In my area there has been a string of wal greens and other pharmacies being robbed for narcotics. The M O usually is a man says he has a gun and demands the narcotics....
    Say you happened to be in there at this same time this occurs..
    What can or would you do?
    The person hasn't threatened you persay but has the teller at this point...
    Any legalities on this?

I'd put a .45 right in his head, without warning.

It is NOT just "drugs and money."

This individual has declared that he is armed under circumstances where it is implied that he will use deadly force if his demands aren't met.

What if you decide to wait it out and he pulls the gun and puts one right between the pharmacist's eyes?

Whether or not he proves to be actually armed is irrelevant. Self-defense is based on what the shooter believes was happening. If the robber declares that he has a gun you have every good-faith reason to believe that he has one.

No where in the OP's scenario does it say you heard the man say anything...only that "The M O usually is a man says he has a gun and demands the narcotics...." and "
    The person hasn't threatened you persay but has the teller at this point..."

Sounds like you're in jail to me. :popcorn:

Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house
    What ? Someone articulates, in no uncertain terms, that they have a gun and you don't "perceive" a threat ?

All questions in my mind are now gone. BG just made an appointment with his maker.
    Not under the scenario in question. Circumstances often provide context for justifiable action.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Always be a good witness.

WTNESS: Yes, Officer. He had on blue jeans, a red sweatshirt, and a new pair of them ridiculously priced sneakers. Probably early 20s, slight build, tweaked complexion, you know, kinda gaunt and emaciated. Sunken eyes though I'm not sure of the color. And brown hair.

OFFICER: Thanks. That's pretty good observation.

WITNESS: Naw, not really. I'm just lookin' at him a-laying on the floor right there from where I shot him.

:D

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Ok, let me up the game. What if same thing happends only this time he pulls his gun and points it at the clerk?
    If they were @ gunpoint, I would rudely interupt and ask the clerk what they think you should do.
    People that start getting that desperate for drugs would sell your clothing to support their habit.

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    You're only required to act if you are LE. I'd watch and make sure it didn't escalate to include my and maw.

On another note, it may have been in "The Armed Citizen" in the NRA mags but some dude busted into a 7/11 or some such and went straight for the clerk at the register without looking around. When he pointed the pistol at the clerk and either threatened her or actually pulled the trigger and had a misfire an armed citizen stepped up and shot the stupid a** in the side ending the ordeal. LMAO!

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    I've seen alot of good posts regarding this question.

Having been in the position requiring the display of my firearm (line of duty, of course), a person does not really know what he or she would do unti that situation presents itself.

Additionally, the original question does not pose all of the potential variables that could present. Was a firearms displayed or implied? Has the individual physically injured any one? Am I alone? Do I have cover, or just concealment? What are the backdrops, etc.

In either case, I agree the best situation (all things being equal) is to be a good witness. As a law enforcement officer I would rather have a good witness to assist with the investigation, than a larger than life crime scene where many people could or were injured.

Just sayin'

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I agree untill you are there you do not know for sure, but it is still good to have some scenerio based practice.. Figured I could use a current event to let folks ponder.

It's good to see all the posts on this subject. I understand that there are many variables left out in the initial post.. however just as many have said untill the situation presents itself you can only speculate the response. It looks like this has got people to think a little bit and understand both point of views and the dynamics involved to act or not....
    Thanks everybody for there posts, hopefully this has been helpfull/educational to some.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Why do people wait for the shooting to start before taking action? The difference between taking action before the shooting and taking after the shooting very well could mean life or death to anybody in the area, I rather not have to live my life knowing somebody died and I've done nothing to save them. What a horrible thought!

Personally speaking, it's my mission as a law abiding gun owner to know and follow the law, and protect my person and any persons nearby weither by thwarting the bad guy or eliminating him.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Not gonna bother to read the post so sorry if it's all ready been posted.
    If you pull your gun plan on being sued, regardless of how "righteous" the shooting.
    Make sure it's worth it.
    If BG is stealing something that is insured and isn't even your property, why would get involved other than being a witness? If your life or others truly are in danger then things have changed, but not until then....

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why would you get involved? Because its my community. Its where I live and it should send a clear cut message to the dbags who would prey upon my family if I weren't there that this will not be tolerated. To take your trifling ass on down the road to find victims because there are those of us who wont allow this here anymore.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Why would you get involved? Because its my community. Its where I live and it should send a clear cut message to the dbags who would prey upon my family if I weren't there that this will not be tolerated. To take your trifling ass on down the road to find victims because there are those of us who wont allow this here anymore.
    Not to start an argument or fight, but I hope you have deep pockets then. If you shoot a person, no matter how big of dirt bag they are, family will come out the wood work to say what a great person they were and to sue you. Even IF they don't win you will still be out a lot of money.
    See this very old post. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._get_it_done_with_7_rounds_keep_shooting.html
    Two take aways from the post.
    1. It possibly will take more bullets then what you think. (But this one's not really relevant to this thread.)
    2. A lot of witness agree this was clean shooting, but the man still got sued. If memory serves me correct he lost a couple years and hundreds of thousands of dollars defending himself in court.
    If you're set on protecting you community then more power to you. ( I mean that.) As for me I have a wife and kids at home to think about and will not be stepping in so quickly. This is one of the stories that weighs in my mind when I think about having to use my gun.
    Take care.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Not to start an argument or fight, but I hope you have deep pockets then. If you shoot a person, no matter how big of dirt bag they are, family will come out the wood work to say what a great person they were and to sue you. Even IF they don't win you will still be out a lot of money.
    See this very old post. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._get_it_done_with_7_rounds_keep_shooting.html
    Two take aways from the post.
    1. It possibly will take more bullets then what you think. (But this one's not really relevant to this thread.)
    2. A lot of witness agree this was clean shooting, but the man still got sued. If memory serves me correct he lost a couple years and hundreds of thousands of dollars defending himself in court.
    If you're set on protecting you community then more power to you. ( I mean that.) As for me I have a wife and kids at home to think about and will not be stepping in so quickly. This is one of the stories that weighs in my mind when I think about having to use my gun.
    Take care.

The link to the article in that post is dead. Here's the same story
    The Shootist: One Man Got Involved. The Perry Stephens/George Temple Incident

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Good question to ponder.

Drug addicts want to score the drugs, that is the goal. As long as the pharmacist complies, he/she will probably be ok. It also could be possible that the drug addict is out of his/her mind and/or patience and the shooting may start regardless. And if you are armed then it may be time to act. That would be pretty scary.

Top Bottom