Is there a duty to act?? What would you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Hi there,
    I have a question as to how you would act in this situation. In my area there has been a string of wal greens and other pharmacies being robbed for narcotics. The M O usually is a man says he has a gun and demands the narcotics....
    Say you happened to be in there at this same time this occurs..
    What can or would you do?
    The person hasn't threatened you persay but has the teller at this point...
    Any legalities on this?

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    If it were me I'd be a good witness. That's it.
    ^^^ This until POSSIBLY when and if shots are fired. Then, maybe, if I didn't slip and fall in my own wet spot, would I attempt to neutralize the threat. Also it would be dependent on many other factors like other bystanders, am I alone or is my family with me, could I have the element of surprise?

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Act? No way Jose.
    It's just drugs. That's a police and pharmacy insurance problem. Acting may get unnecessary lead flying unnecessarily impacting soft squishy backstops. The dudes just want drugs, not to die or necessarily kill someone (too much trouble and time).
    I may be in the minority, but the heck with being a good witness. That's what security cameras are for. When it's dealing with merchandise and not human life, I will have no part in it. I'd hope that I had the guts to assess the situation and be ready if someone's life was at stake, but in your scenario that didn't seem to be the question.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Explain what you would do?

I will bet you a pancake breakfast at IHOP that you wouldn't even perceive that a robbery was occurring. Flame away, but the whole idea in the bad guys mind, is to not cause a scene.

The latest guy was arrested today in Ft Wayne because of the video that showed his face. They wait to approach when there is not anyone close by.

Now if the idiot cranks off a round, everything changes and you have every right to self defense and the defense of others.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If it were me I'd be a good witness. That's it.

Same.
    Unless he really has a gun and is pointing it at people, at that point the life of others would be in danger.
    In that case im not sure I would wait for him to shoot someone in order to shoot the guy.
    But if he doesn't hurt anyone or point a gun at anyone I would let him go away with the drug or whatever he wants.
    Im not a LEO and stores have insurance.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Sit and watch. But if I was told to go to a back room or the robber started to shoot people I would do whatever ever I could not to be a victim.

laxmann31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Northside Indy
    Its hard to say until you are actually in that situation. I would say I would wait until he showed the gun before taking action. God only knows how much crap would hit the fan if you shot the guy and he didnt even have a gun, then again if he did have a gun and you shoot him Im sure the DA would do whatever they can to make it seem unjustifiable

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Yeah that pink paper is not a police badge, you are not here to fight crime and arrest people.

Word.

Although claiming to have a gun (the scenario in the OP) and him/her actually pointing a gun at the clerk are two different things.

I'd still probably assume that they are there for drugs and don't want to hurt anyone, so I'd keep cool and stay ready...If they even hinted that they were turning their attention (even line of sight) towards me then it'd be a whole new ballgame.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I'd put a .45 right in his head, without warning.

It is NOT just "drugs and money."

This individual has declared that he is armed under circumstances where it is implied that he will use deadly force if his demands aren't met.

What if you decide to wait it out and he pulls the gun and puts one right between the pharmacist's eyes?

Whether or not he proves to be actually armed is irrelevant. Self-defense is based on what the shooter believes was happening. If the robber declares that he has a gun you have every good-faith reason to believe that he has one.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    . . . God only knows how much crap would hit the fan if you shot the guy and he didnt even have a gun, then again if he did have a gun and you shoot him Im sure the DA would do whatever they can to make it seem unjustifiable

Maybe some places, but remember the Kroger shooting on 71st Street? Robber grabbed an employee, saying he had a gun. The manager shot and killed the robber, but it turned out that the robber was unarmed. No grand jury no indictment, as the shooting was deemed justifiable.

I'm not advocating shooting, just wanted to point out that the crap won't necessarily hit the fan if it turns out the robber did not have a gun.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Ok, let me up the game. What if same thing happends only this time he pulls his gun and points it at the clerk?

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    162   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    I'd put a .45 right in his head, without warning.

It is NOT just "drugs and money."

This individual has declared that he is armed under circumstances where it is implied that he will use deadly force if his demands aren't met.

What if you decide to wait it out and he pulls the gun and puts one right between the pharmacist's eyes?.
    plus one it doesn't concern me, there not threatening me , what a bunch of garbage every time these drugs hit the street someone is injured or killed . first off people need to police themselves and be a proactive part of their community , quit passing the buck and waiting for LE to fix for you . yes thats there job but its your community as well . now i am not saying to just pull your gun and start shooting . you need to asses the situation and if you can prevent injury to Innocent bystanders then do so .

Top Bottom