• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    No. However, my in laws have 13 acres inside city limits, 10 acres is a lake. He shoots beavers with his .22 but does not do target shooting. His philosophy is no one can tell where 1 shot comes from.

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    After reading through the posti did not see a real in depth explanation so I'll throw in my two cents. First off I am not a lawyer, have never played one on tv and did not stay at a holiday inn last night. As I understand it the current muni code was written merger of sheriff/IMPD. The code as its written (I have read it several times) aplys it's enforcement tithe old city limits ie. 465 loop. Since the expansion of the city limits have changed the muni code has not been rewritten to extend the ban to the current city limits, all of Marion county. So theoretically if you live outside of the 465 loop you could shoot a firearm. Now where most people get into trouble is the state code that says you must be more than 300 feet from an occupied dwelling while discharging said firearm and that you can not shoot with 50 feet of a centerline of a roadway. Failing to have an adequate backstop would make an easy case for a prosecutor to file criminal recklessness charges so the funds mental shooting safety rules would have to be practiced religiously. The other contention is should a LEO be called to investigate the noise hopefully it's one that is well versed in the muni code as it would be easy to just write crim deck and call it a day. I would say tho that overall with a generous helping of common sence and safety though that by following all municipal and state rules that you may in fact be able to shoot inside Marion county outside of the 465 loop.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Well said IMPD.

I've been doing it for over twenty years at two different houses in Marion county and have never had a problem. I shoot, most of my neighbors shoot, everybody's happy.

Common sense and safety are the keys!

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Now where most people get into trouble is the state code that says you must be more than 300 feet from an occupied dwelling while discharging said firearm and that you can not shoot with 50 feet of a centerline of a roadway.

I wasn't aware of these two restrictions. Is this in the IC?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Yes they are in the DNR section. Let me look them up and I'll try to post the IC codes

I believe this is the roadway statute but it doesn't say anything about 50 ft:

IC 14-22-6-9
    Shooting from or across public highways prohibited
    Sec. 9. A person may not:
    (1) hunt, shoot, shoot at, or kill an animal; or
    (2) shoot at an object;
    from within, into, upon, or across a public highway in Indiana.
    As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.15.

Best,

Joe

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    Seems that the IC code may have changed. Most recent I can find states no firing across from or within a road. So it would seem shoulder would be ok. I have searched Ho and low for the dwelling and can not find it. Will talk to a co and one of our legal guys and see if I can get clarification. Sometimes these things change and no one mentions it to us. I will let you know what I find out.

Top Bottom