• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    I was wondering if it was legal to shoot inside the city limits?

I have 3 acres in Indianapolis and would like to do a bit of shooting. I am talking 22lr or the rare test round of larger pistol calibers... No high powered rifle or anything. As always saftey is the main concern but I want to be sure not to violate any laws. Please list anything form the IC Code if you know of laws preventing shooting in indy. Also, considering a suppresor so as not to upset any neighbors if it does end up being leagl. Figure if they don't know its happening they wont be concerned so some sub sonic 22s or cb caps should do the trick.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    My question would be, what is exactly the city limits ? I seem to remember something like this being addressed a few years back and it was the area inside of the I-465 loop being used as a boundary for shooting or hunting purposes. Not sure if that was a layman's definition or not. I also remember this being discussed on the local news in regard to the people in Marion county who live in the rural areas ( Decatur, Franklin townships ), whether or not they could legally shoot predator animals (fox, coyote, etc.) that might be creating havoc with farm animals. Either way there is a lot of land out there in those two townships where I'm sure there are people doing some kind of plinking etc. I'm curious to know what exactly is allowed.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I was wondering if it was legal to shoot inside the city limits?

I have 3 acres in Indianapolis and would like to do a bit of shooting. I am talking 22lr or the rare test round of larger pistol calibers... No high powered rifle or anything. As always saftey is the main concern but I want to be sure not to violate any laws. Please list anything form the IC Code if you know of laws preventing shooting in indy. Also, considering a suppresor so as not to upset any neighbors if it does end up being leagl. Figure if they don't know its happening they wont be concerned so some sub sonic 22s or cb caps should do the trick.
    IIRC, it USED to be, OUTSIDE the "old" city limits, ok, NOW, I have NO idea... I grew up, on the s'side, near Adrain Orchard, and shot my .22, and .410 shotgun, ONLY got the cops called ONCE, and that was for disturbing the peace... ( the "old lady" next door was being a Bi***) IMHO...

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    You can search city ordinances online at municode.com. I found this, but I don't know what the "police special service district" means.

Sec. 451-2. - Firearms generally.

(a)
    Within the police special service district, it shall be unlawful for any person to fire off, shoot at another person or otherwise use any dangerous weapon for any purpose other than in defense of his life or the life of another person, or the protection of his property or property entrusted to him by another person, or for practice at a range under the supervision and operation of a governmental entity, or without the prior written approval of the department of public safety.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I have lived in Franklin township since 1991 and have been shooting ever since. It's never been an issue. About five years ago the democrats on the council attempted to ban all gunfire in Marion county. Angela Mansfield led the crusade against this ill perceived problem. It was soundly defeated.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    even IF it were legal, AND ITS NOT...the cops would still show up and harass the crap outa you....if you want to shoot within the city limits youve got a grand total of three days a year to do so (ianal...and it is ALWAYS illegal)...but you can probably guess the three days im talking about

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Good luck getting a straight answer from those people...personal experience.

IMPD gets the same treatment from them.

even IF it were legal, AND ITS NOT...the cops would still show up and harass the crap outa you....if you want to shoot within the city limits youve got a grand total of three days a year to do so (ianal...and it is ALWAYS illegal)...but you can probably guess the three days im talking about

Yep, if I was called to the OP's house I would harass and torment him mercilessly. I would probably even go so far as to police brutality him and then shoot his dog. When I was done I would invite myself into his house and watch his TV while eating his food.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas

Gunfire is only illegal within the old city limits. Pre Uni-gov city limits. That is roughly interpreted as the 465 loop. Outside of that your legal within reason. Obviously with the expansion of all the subdivisions there is not as much hunting and shooting ground as there was before. The only time the police ever stopped I was launching clay birds for 3 co workers who happened to be black. MCSD stopped in the middle of the road, I waved, then he drove off.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I am down in Bloomington and remember an acquaintance of mine who decided one night, not a mile from downtown, that since he had never got to shoot his AR he would put some gallon jugs on his brand new deck at 3 in the morning and try shooting them. Missed the jugs, shot the heck out of his new deck and had the police show up to give him a nice fine. Always make sure it is legal to shoot where your shooting and near the center of town aint it.

Top Bottom