• ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Someone has your IP address. But regardless, punctuation matters.

View attachment 379930

It wasn't a statement, "INGO is creating a registry," it was a question, "Is INGO creating a registry?"
    Wasn't responding to your original post, rather the tangent it had taken ... trying to learn how anybody could easily learn your identity by reading about your on-line transactions while you are using an alias and an email address that doesn't require any sort of proof of identity.

Now we learn that the IP address, will give you away. I thought that an IP address is tied to a specific device.

So is it being suggested that everybody uses only a single device to access their INGO account?

O.K., let's say this is true. Isn't it also true that you can hide your IP address?

To my way of thinking, this whole thread including the tangents (except of course for the pineapple on a pizza tangent) is just a way to while away some time while consuming your favorite adult beverage. To that end, mission accomplished.

To any other end ... the jury is still out.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Wasn't responding to your original post, rather the tangent it had taken ... trying to learn how anybody could easily learn your identity by reading about your on-line transactions while you are using an alias and an email address that doesn't require any sort of proof of identity.

Now we learn that the IP address, will give you away. I thought that an IP address is tied to a specific device.

So is it being suggested that everybody uses only a single device to access their INGO account?

O.K., let's say this is true. Isn't it also true that you can hide your IP address?

To my way of thinking, this whole thread including the tangents (except of course for the pineapple on a pizza tangent) is just a way to while away some time while consuming your favorite adult beverage. To that end, mission accomplished.

To any other end ... the jury is still out.
    I think IP is tied to a location not device. Use a VPN tunnel to hide that.

Devices have MAC addresses but they can be hidden or spoofed.

I would think since no one uses their real name they are trying to be somewhat anonymous.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So, what have we learned in the thread. Very little useful for INGO. I do have a better understanding of why so few fight back against privacy invasions, they have already given up. The resignation so many expressed in this thread is a little surprising to me given that so many threads are about privacy invasions I thought INGO was a beachhead against the tide but discovered it is a beach ball blowing in the wind…

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So, what have we learned in the thread. Very little useful for INGO. I do have a better understanding of why so few fight back against privacy invasions, they have already given up. The resignation so many expressed in this thread is a little surprising to me given that so many threads are about privacy invasions I thought INGO was a beachhead against the tide but discovered it is a beach ball blowing in the wind…
    Or it could be i like the rules of my HOA and reading the feedback.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    VPNs are security theater at its finest. ATT and Verizon don’t have my browsing history. But NordVPN does. You really think Nord is immune from subpoena and prosecution?
    Actually, I believe Nord is an "offshore company" and they have ignored subpoenas in the past.
    Unlike HideMyAss and others who willingly give logs to the various agencies.

I am no expert on international law, but Nord seems to be doing better at keeping our privacy than others; and definitely better than nothing at all.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    Actually, I believe Nord is an "offshore company" and they have ignored subpoenas in the past.
    Unlike HideMyAss and others who willingly give logs to the various agencies.

I am no expert on international law, but Nord seems to be doing better at keeping our privacy than others; and definitely better than nothing at all.
    Ultimately you are choosing someone to know what you are looking at with any VPN service (all of your DNS queries are somewhere). Why anyone think any of those companies are better or worse than Comcast or ATT is all personal opinion.

You want to be untracked. Download Tails OS, boot from a none editable media (and live only in memory), and fire up TOR. Never download or upload anything and never create a social network account.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I tried Nord. Signed up for 2 years. Used it a handful of times but couldn't take the performance hit (lag time) and it would block sites that didn't need blocking (like Kroger for crying out loud). I let it expire and won't be using it again.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Ultimately you are choosing someone to know what you are looking at with any VPN service (all of your DNS queries are somewhere). Why anyone think any of those companies are better or worse than Comcast or ATT is all personal opinion.

You want to be untracked. Download Tails OS, boot from a none editable media (and live only in memory), and fire up TOR. Never download or upload anything and never create a social network account.

There are anonymous DNS servers (EG: Quad9) and you can encrypt DNS queries as well (even more important).

Security takes layers. There is no magic bullet solution.
    A VPN that does not keep logs is one layer.
    Another layer is encrypted DNS.
    Another layer is TOR.
    Etc, etc, etc...YMMV.

And yes, TAILs OS is an excellent way to stay anon, especially when using someone else's computer, like at a library, campus, etc.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I tried Nord. Signed up for 2 years. Used it a handful of times but couldn't take the performance hit (lag time) and it would block sites that didn't need blocking (like Kroger for crying out loud). I let it expire and won't be using it again.
    I use Proton. Its on my home router so everything at the house goes through the VPN. Then I use it on all my mobile devies.

I am willing to sacrifice speed to protect freedom.

You can always let individual apps through if you have to get a coupon for 25 cents off a stick of butter.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    And folks were saying I'm the :tinfoil:.

Aside from my work PC with a VPN (that I don't browse INGO on), I don't use one. :shady:
    I'll even VPN through my VPN!

I keep thinking I will get a Librem phone but I haven't taken that step yet.

Hooked on flip phones for compactness. :(

I wanted to call out @DoggyDaddy for selling out for Kroger, but I sell out for flip phones.....I am so weak.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I'll even VPN through my VPN!

I keep thinking I will get a Librem phone but I haven't taken that step yet.

Hooked on flip phones for compactness. :(

I wanted to call out @DoggyDaddy for selling out for Kroger, but I sell out for flip phones.....I am so weak.

Get yourself a Google Pixel. (For extra privacy, install the Graphene OS on it.)
    It is one of the very few phones that we are unable to attack on a consistent basis.
    DO not store any passwords on it. What ever you do, if it is private to you...do NOT store it "in the cloud."
    :cool:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Z06
    Top Bottom