• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Is INGO creating a registry by way of the feedback system, when the buyer or seller links the deal thread to the feedback?

Leaving feedback is great, but IMO linking the deal thread to it (thereby giving the "visit deal thread" option on the feedback), is just as bad as a registry. Maybe worse, since the info is out there, not just with a dealer or the ATF...

Don't believe me? Take a gander at some folks feedback profiles...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The government already knows plenty about all of us. This electronic society tracks everything all the time. Does anyone really think all those 4473s are disposed of. That all your credit cards medical records and what not are not available to the feds?
    That horse has left the barn for most of us
    So that is a reason not to do what we can to keep info private and not deliver it to them on a silver platter?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The government already knows plenty about all of us. This electronic society tracks everything all the time. Does anyone really think all those 4473s are disposed of. That all your credit cards medical records and what not are not available to the feds?
    That horse has left the barn for most of us
    I must be doing it wrong, who do I give a 4473 to on a private F2F sale?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A wise long time INGOer, who I've crossed paths with many times, sold me a pistol some years back. At our meet place he suggested that we both had plenty of feedback to last forever. He said he'd happily respond with feedback to to my feedback of him, better yet why not both of us just skip it? No need to leave any trail, right?

I have followed the wise INGOer's lead since, only giving feedback after it has been sent to me. Otherwise, the first rule of fight club is...

:shady:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A wise long time INGOer, who I've crossed paths with many times, sold me a pistol some years back. At our meet place he suggested that we both had plenty of feedback to last forever. He said he'd happily respond with feedback to to my feedback of him, better yet why not both of us just skip it? No need to leave any trail, right?

I have followed the wise INGOer's lead since, only giving feedback after it has been sent to me. Otherwise, the first rule of fight club is...

:shady:
    More than one wise person in your post. :thumbsup:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    It's a valid concern, should be considered general security hygiene to limit public knowledge of transactions like that.
    Nothing recorded, except here, let me publicly document this transaction...
    But....but....but....we'd like to know a little more about you for our files.
    I was involved in the OPM hack, what more could they want to know?
    My thoughts exactly...

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    So that is a reason not to do what we can to keep info private and not deliver it to them on a silver platter?
    Not saying that at all. Just that everything you buy online, everything you say online it’s all chiseled in stone forever. If the feds wanted to accuse any of us for being an illegal gun dealer they probably could. Doesn’t mean it’s true or will stick
    I’m taking about anyone who ever sold a firearm on here or anywhere else online

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    If you honestly believe that you have the ability to keep anything totally private these days, you are either quite ignorant of current electronic communications, or delusional. Got a cell phone? Got cards in your wallet with chips in them? Got ONSTAR? Does your browser save your passwords? Does your phone save your contacts?

Scenario:
    User posts a for sale ad on INGO. You reply to that ad on INGO. You contact each other by cell phone to make arrangements for the transaction. Both of you take cell phones to the actual transfer. Everything about that sale: buyer ID, seller ID, amount paid, goods transferred, place transferred, date and time transferred, and likely more, is now a subpoena-able bit of (more or less public) information. The only thing private about that transaction is whether or not you changed your underwear before the meet up. Wake up, 1984 was 40 years ago.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The only thing private about that transaction is whether or not you changed your underwear before the meet up. Wake up, 1984 was 40 years ago.
    With the recently discussed "Active Listening", if you changed them around your phone, tablet or computer, they will likely be able to know that as well.

Herstal

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If you honestly believe that you have the ability to keep anything totally private these days, you are either quite ignorant of current electronic communications, or delusional. Got a cell phone? Got cards in your wallet with chips in them? Got ONSTAR? Does your browser save your passwords? Does your phone save your contacts?
    This isn't how security works. Just because there are other leaks, doesn't mean you shouldn't plug this one. It's an onion, you need to have as many layers as possible.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Scenario:
    User posts a for sale ad on INGO. You reply to that ad on INGO. You contact each other by cell phone to make arrangements for the transaction. Both of you take cell phones to the actual transfer. Everything about that sale: buyer ID, seller ID, amount paid, goods transferred, place transferred, date and time transferred, and likely more, is now a subpoena-able bit of (more or less public) information. The only thing private about that transaction is whether or not you changed your underwear before the meet up. Wake up, 1984 was 40 years ago.

What transaction officer?

I try to promote the INGO classifieds as much as possible, for the better of our marketplace.
    That said, the last three listings I've made in the classy's never got a response. I finally ended up selling the item to my brother in law's third cousin's buddy. :)

Just look at all the ongoing adds that folks bump daily for days, weeks, months at a time. Some stuff just doesn't sell.

:dunno:

edwea

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I've considered this before and where I landed was this..."they" aren't nearly as concerned with what you have, rather that you are a person that would have it. In other words not what guns you have, but that you are a gun owner. If you've ever bought a hunting license or a carry permit or a c&r FFL etc. you are on the list whether or not your guns are.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Z06
    Top Bottom