• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I'm 44 and am a HUGE DIYer. I have a collection of tools that would make Sears jealous. I think I did it the right way. In HS I started asking for tools for Christmas, birthdays, whatever. Over the years I made deals with family and friends to fix or help fix stuff if they bought me the tool(s) I needed to do the job. The best thing about DIYing now is I have a 7 year old boy that would rather be under Daddy's big truck getting dirty than playing Xbox like is friends. Last summer we changed the diff fluid and tranny fluid in my F250. That night when we we cleaning up, my boy told me he loved "helping" me work on the truck. YOU CAN'T PAY SOMEONE TO DO THAT!!!!

I got a lot of my knowledge for working on vehicles from my Dad. He was a ASE trained mechanic who only worked in a garage for less than a year. He decided it wasn't for him, but he was always busting is knuckles on the families fleet.

I do think the internet has taken over as far as DIY shows. I mean if I saw a show on how to replace a Ptrap last year will I remember it tomorrow when it leaks tomorrow? Plus the internet is in most of our pockets all the time. Also I think forums like this has helped a lot too. Just look at the knowledge that is on this board. Everyone here is willing to give what they know to help someone out. I belong to a Powerstroke forum solely to learn the ins and outs of my truck and it has paid for itself in spades. -Jason

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    Today, I was watching a Home Time (the PBS home improvement show) on my DVR. At the end of the episode, Dean announced that would be their last episode and they were wrapping it up after 29 years. Previously, I'd noticed that networks like HGTV and DIY had less and less content showing folks how stuff was done, how to make repairs around the house, on cars, etc. Now, it seems they're all about doing crappy and exotic makeovers in 3 days or less and flipping houses and that sort of stuff.

I know as a young homeowner, shows like This Old House, Home Time, and various shows when HGTV first came on cable taught me a bunch about how things are built and how to repair them when they broke. I'm sure the network execs have decided people would rather see how to do a gaudy bathroom redo with an unlimited budget and an army of workers than how the homeowner can troubleshoot his own auxiliary heat in his heat pump.

I hardly watch HGTV or DIY channels anymore.

I don't think so and here's why: we've got the Internet and youtube. We are in the information age and its evident right here as I would even venture to say that everyone is pretty much a DIY'r here on INGO.
    I think the technology has become overly complex when it comes to modern vehicles. Laws and codes and permitting for home repairs and upgrades for sure can be a frustrating mess. That old addage "never over-complicate a bologna sandwich" comes to mind. Then there's that whole lack of funding that deters some diy'rs... And well, some folks are just plain lazy- as I think these "cooking" shows have replaced most of the home repair shows.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think it's probably because of the internet. I use YouTube all the time for diy projects.

I think that sums it up. If I need to know how to do something, there's so much free information available instantly that's on point and on topic. Plus I can pause it, rewind it (I guess you technically don't rewind an internet video, but you know what I mean), etc. That's a tough format to combat with traditional tv.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't know how people restored cars before the internet.

I restored two vehicles. One was a Corvette. It was easy as pie. You could start with a radiator cap and order the rest of the car from Eckler's catalogs. Other than the guts and tuning of the carb and the guts of the transmission, everything was really simple to work on and didn't require much in the way of tools. Two was a Scout. That was a gigantic PITA because it was rare and a Frankenstein's monster of parts right from the factory. When I got the Internet, there was a forum called binderbulletin (corn binder, sort of a play on International Harvester making the Scout) and it was sooooo much easier to get salvage parts, figure out what new parts could be adapted to work, etc.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Oh. I've also fixed my dryer three times. Hardest part was getting the parts.

I do appliance repair somewhat frequently (both residential grade and commercial kitchen equipment). For household stuff, I usually use repairclinic.com. Good diagrams that let you find part numbers easily. I always check the part numbers against eBay, but usually they're cheaper.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Good deal, then. I do not have a local appliance shop, so for me it's either a trip toward the city or ordering online.

And their parts diagrams are helpful even if you get what you need from someone else.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I do appliance repair somewhat frequently (both residential grade and commercial kitchen equipment). For household stuff, I usually use repairclinic.com. Good diagrams that let you find part numbers easily. I always check the part numbers against eBay, but usually they're cheaper.

I've used them twice on the dryer, once on the fridge, once on the dishwasher. They're great for me so far, but definitely compare part #'s with the oem manual.
    I got jammed on an updated part number for the dishwasher splashguard. was an easy fix that involved trimming and notching, so all was good.

Top Bottom