• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I still think DIY is prevalent. I just think certain things are not worth diagnosing or Fixing. For example, my wall oven went out. Its over 20 years old, I know its just the element that needs replaced, but why bother. Its an old appliance which should be replaced.

But I do agree that youtube is best for DIY.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you want the tool to last more than 1 job, avoid harbor freight like high points.
    Not everything at harbor freight is junk or a waste of money. Different tool quality for different jobs.

Case in point: I learned the hard way that it's just as easy to burn up a $100 angle grinder if you abuse it than it is to burn up a $10 harbor freight angle grinder. When I burned up my nice one I was out a grinder until I could make a trip to town to buy another. I didn't replace it with another $100 unit. I replaced it with three $10 units from harbor freight. Now if I burn one up (I have burned up 2 harbor freight grinders doing a LOT of masonry grinding) I just get a new one off the shelf and take the burned up one into harbor freight to see if they will honor the warranty. If they don't, no big loss. If they do, new grinder goes on the shelf...
    I never learned the DIY aspect of things from my father. I could not even pump the brakes right when he was bleeding the lines on his 1956 Chevy. I was only five years of age, but I learned enough never to be around when dad started fixing something. He could fix anything. Often I would try to do something, get stuck and walk away. A day later I would see that dad had finished it.

Many kids now do not know how to do things because dear old dad did not have the patience to teach their stupid son how to hold a hammer.

I learned to do basic stuff while living in the jungles of Borneo. There was no one around to ask for help so I did what I could until I could get into town and talk to someone who knew more than I did about it. Now, by the time I search the internet, search Lowes/Home Depot, buy the wrong thing three times and take it back, buy another one because the part broke, go back to Lowes for the essential tools that no one mentioned and I never heard of, I find that it is cheaper, faster, and simpler to hire it done. Makes the wife happier, too.

My uncle built his own house with his own hands, between court appearances to represent abused spouses, bankrupt businessmen, and settling estates. My wife, impressed that an attorney could swing a hammer, asked where he learned to do construction. He stated that back on the farm everyone knew how to do it because "it was just in the blood." My wife replied, "[Bapak2ja] did't get it." It was not in my blood because I did not grow up on the farm watching the men use their hands on a daily basis.

Dad couldn't teach me to DIY; but he taught me to work hard, be respectful, pay my bills, keep my word, stay sober, keep my marriage vows, and to teach my kids to live the same way. He modeled the core values that made this country a city on a hill that everyone in the Borneo jungles had heard about and wanted to emulate. There was no greater honor in those days than to be an American, and no greater guarantee than to be labeled "Made in the USA."

Do any of you DIYers teach your kids how to swing a hammer? Did you teach them the core values? A wise man once said the essence of life is "to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." Dad didn't teach me much about DIY, but he did teach me a few things. I still miss him. Looking forward to seeing him again, too. Maybe he can teach how to work gold to repair the streets. :) That will be a great DIY lesson!

I'm a big DIY man. There isn't much I can't do, literally. I do my own electrical, HVAC, construction, landscaping, concrete work, and more. I have a machine/fab shop in my garage. I rebuild my own transmissions etc. It was all learned on the farm from my father. He was great at teaching us. One of my greatest fears is that now because I'm not "on the farm" anymore, my children won't grow up with the ability to do things for themselves. I am going to do everything within my ability to teach them hard skills but I still fear that there is a large element of "just being on the farm" that I will not be able to reproduce effectively in my kids.

If I could keep the job (and benefits) I have and still have my kids grow up on the farm with my dad and younger brother I would do so in a heartbeat.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Well....I grew up fixing everything myself. Everything.

I still do if I can manage it physically.
    Main thing is having the tools. The right tools. That is a serious expense these days if you are not going to use them all the time.

I would bet you had more than a little exposure to talented car people when you were young. Me I fixed lots of stuff when I was younger but it was farm equipment and nobody cared what it looked like. My stick welds looked like something a drunk monkey performed. Like KjQ said, it was trial and lots of errors.:)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    But I do agree that youtube is best for DIY.

Really?

I can't stand the stupid camera angles and having to listen to eight minutes of rambling just to hear one important detail that could be summed up if these idiots knew how to write.

OK, just because HGTV and DIY suck (and in FoodTV and Cooking), and the Scripps Network is a joke, doesn't change the actual people. We still make. Remember, we were making before these TV channels came along.

If you get it, CreateTV is pretty good.

As to DIY, one need look no further than the proliferation of "Maker stations", TEK Venture, and other co-op type environments for people to create, design, build, tinker, modify, etc.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'm not a fan of youtube, but I do turn to it if I can't get the info elsewhere. I do use the internet a lot for DIY stuff. We tiled our bathroom mostly by studying books I got at the library, and a couple of websites.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    You can't complain about a free medium for free information. I for one am glad these idiots took the time to show people their experience.

Makerspaces are far from proliferation.

UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville
    I put a new drive motor & belt in my 18 y.o. clothes dryer about two months ago. And 1 week ago I replaced the oven control board in my range when it crapped out. Convinced the wife that I should be able to buy a couple guns with all the money I saved not buying all that stuff new....... And she agreed!!!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You can't complain about a free medium for free information. I for one am glad these idiots took the time to show people their experience.

INGO would be a quieter place...

The last one I watched had a shaky camera zoomed way in so you couldn't tell up from down. All the trim panels were removed from the car and merely laying in place - so I had no idea where all the hidden screws were at. The person simply said, "remove this panel" then lifted the panel and set it aside. I can't tell you how it ended.

The other trend I've noticed is eHow and similar sites that merely provide a large amount of text that says absolutely nothing. I can only surmise that "authors" get paid per word and just churn out this pablum as fast as possible.

I'll stick to print media or Instructables.com.

Makerspaces are far from proliferation.

I don't remember any when I grew up, or even ten years ago, therefore there is a rapid increase in the numbers; a proliferation.

:twocents:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Not everything at harbor freight is junk or a waste of money. Different tool quality for different jobs.

Case in point: I learned the hard way that it's just as easy to burn up a $100 angle grinder if you abuse it than it is to burn up a $10 harbor freight angle grinder. When I burned up my nice one I was out a grinder until I could make a trip to town to buy another. I didn't replace it with another $100 unit. I replaced it with three $10 units from harbor freight. Now if I burn one up (I have burned up 2 harbor freight grinders doing a LOT of masonry grinding) I just get a new one off the shelf and take the burned up one into harbor freight to see if they will honor the warranty. If they don't, no big loss. If they do, new grinder goes on the shelf...

I'm a big DIY man. There isn't much I can't do, literally. I do my own electrical, HVAC, construction, landscaping, concrete work, and more. I have a machine/fab shop in my garage. I rebuild my own transmissions etc. It was all learned on the farm from my father. He was great at teaching us. One of my greatest fears is that now because I'm not "on the farm" anymore, my children won't grow up with the ability to do things for themselves. I am going to do everything within my ability to teach them hard skills but I still fear that there is a large element of "just being on the farm" that I will not be able to reproduce effectively in my kids.

If I could keep the job (and benefits) I have and still have my kids grow up on the farm with my dad and younger brother I would do so in a heartbeat.

I completely understand your thinking. My dad could do most of the things you describe, but he was forced to live in town to make a living; so we never had room for machines and tools, nor did he ever have the time to teach us kids. He took all the overtime he could get, so when he was home he was either fixing something (and it needed to be done in a hurry, so he was impatient with my brother and I fumbling about) or trying to get a couple hours sleep before he headed back to the plant for the extra overtime. Can't blame him for being short-tempered!

Life is different today. Kids are different. But "families that pray together stay together" still is accurate. Good luck with training your kids to DIY.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Our upstairs shower/tub was draining slow. Wife is out running errands and stops a the local Ace. They sell her this stuff that the bottle comes in a bag. You pour it in the drain then cover the drain. I tell her we are not putting that s**t down the drain. Got one of those plastic snakes. Ran that baby down the drain and proceded to pull out gobs of hair. I have a pretty strong stomach, but the smell that came out of that drain was one of the worst I have ever smelled. The whole day I had that smell lingering. Cleared up the drain perfect. That would of easily been several hundred dollar job if I called a plumber, and on a Sunday.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I fixed the drain on our hot water heater Saturday night (longest part of the job was draining the dang tank). After I pulled the old drain out, I found out that it was half clogged with calcification and sediment. Fun times there, but NO MORE LEAK!!!!! :woot:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Our upstairs shower/tub was draining slow. Wife is out running errands and stops a the local Ace. They sell her this stuff that the bottle comes in a bag. You pour it in the drain then cover the drain. I tell her we are not putting that s**t down the drain. Got one of those plastic snakes. Ran that baby down the drain and proceded to pull out gobs of hair. I have a pretty strong stomach, but the smell that came out of that drain was one of the worst I have ever smelled. The whole day I had that smell lingering. Cleared up the drain perfect. That would of easily been several hundred dollar job if I called a plumber, and on a Sunday.

Save money if you keep the hair from going down. Use a strainer.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I have noticed that Lowes and Home Depot are not as busy as they used to be. In the past, there would always be plenty customers in all the aisles, buying stuff to fix up their houses. Now, the aisles are mostly empty and there will only be one of two registers open. Hoping it gets better when Spring gets here.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I don't know how people restored cars before the internet.

Honestly, we have lost a lot of those old guys and that knowledge. I learned body work from my grandfather back in the 60's It was all sheet metal, lead, screen and heat. No days, no one wants to to take the time, or has the time. Also, cars were really a lot simplier. I remember working on my dad's 1965 Rambler Classic. It was a straight six and I could stand in the engine compartment t work on it. Now there are so much electronics and other garbage for emissions and fuel economy, you literally need a software degree in some cases. I started working as a Mechanical Engineer in 1980 for Delco Electronics Most of the system back then were mechanical with an HEI module here or there. When I left, four years ago, I was Tech. Manager for a group that had designed a Occupant Detection sensor and most of the group was writing calibrations.

So now that I have rambled on.... A lot of the old information is lost, but what is remembered is on You Tube.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    certain things are not worth diagnosing or Fixing. For example, my wall oven went out. Its over 20 years old, I know its just the element that needs replaced, but why bother. Its an old appliance which should be replaced..

I dunno. Went through same thing with our wall oven a couple of years ago. A $40.heating element is a lot easier on my wallet than a $700 oven. And it left me with $640 to send on ammo and beer.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Really?

I can't stand the stupid camera angles and having to listen to eight minutes of rambling just to hear one important detail that could be summed up if these idiots knew how to write.

The thing about Youtube that you have to appreciate is that a lot of those videos are made by a regular person who just wants to show people how to do something. I can't tell you how many times I felt like I really should send somebody a case of beer or something for taking the time and trouble to make a video, that I can watch and use that knowledge to fix something that, sometimes I wouldn't have attempted by myself.

A friend's car needed a new water pump. That's usually not a big deal, except that on that Chrysler V6, the water pump is behind the two timing chains and you have to take those off, to get at it. Then, you have to know how to purge the oil out of the timing chain tensioner and re-set it so that when you start the car the first time, it doesn't jump time and wreck your valves. I'm just a self-taught shade-tree mechanic and I would never have tried to do that repair, but after watching several videos, I was able to get it done successfully. I say god bless those people who make those videos.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The thing about Youtube that you have to appreciate is that a lot of those videos are made by a regular person who just wants to show people how to do something. I can't tell you how many times I felt like I really should send somebody a case of beer or something for taking the time and trouble to make a video, that I can watch and use that knowledge to fix something that, sometimes I wouldn't have attempted by myself.

A friend's car needed a new water pump. That's usually not a big deal, except that on that Chrysler V6, the water pump is behind the two timing chains and you have to take those off, to get at it. Then, you have to know how to purge the oil out of the timing chain tensioner and re-set it so that when you start the car the first time, it doesn't jump time and wreck your valves. I'm just a self-taught shade-tree mechanic and I would never have tried to do that repair, but after watching several videos, I was able to get it done successfully. I say god bless those people who make those videos.

Yup

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I'm able to do most tasks that need done around the house and car. The car stuff I went to school for years ago. The house stuff I just figured out. Recently u tube has been very helpful.

Top Bottom