Is Carry Legal in Brown County State Park?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    There it is.

So you are prevented, as an employee of the state, from having a gun in your workplace (assuming your boss wasn't making :poop: up on the spot).

Can anyone cite IC that would allow such a restriction on park visitors, gubernatorial security detail or otherwise?

I'm strongly leaning toward "no".

The DNR is a state level department as such they are not subject to preemption. They can ban them from the pool area if they wish, same as they can prohibit uncased long guns.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    The DNR is a state level department as such they are not subject to preemption. They can ban them from the pool area if they wish, same as they can prohibit uncased long guns.

Fair enough. I stand corrected/reminded...

That said, I'm still curious where that ban is documented. Iron68Giant? Is there signage at the pool... is it documented in a publicly available repository?

I don't see it in the park regulations printed on the back of the map. It's not on the DNR's Rules & Regulations page either.

They may have the authority, but I'm not finding evidence it has been exercised as described.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Fair enough. I stand corrected/reminded...

That said, I'm still curious where that ban is documented. Iron68Giant? Is there signage at the pool... is it documented in a publicly available repository?

I don't see it in the park regulations printed on the back of the map. It's not on the DNR's Rules & Regulations page either.

They may have the authority, but I'm not finding evidence it has been exercised as described.

I'm curious about that myself.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Re-reading the posts by IronGiant, and I am wondering if there is simply some confusion between being an employee and being a guest. Different rules for different folks.

The DNR is explicit in their "allowance" for licensed handgun carry on their non-AoC properties.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Re-reading the posts by IronGiant, and I am wondering if there is simply some confusion between being an employee and being a guest. Different rules for different folks.

The DNR is explicit in their "allowance" for licensed handgun carry on their non-AoC properties.

Quite possible.

Top Bottom