• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    As a footnote, the only dog I would NEVER own or trust is a Peeressa Carannio those dogs are just downright dangerous, regardless of what or how much training and time you put into them. They will attack with no provocation, and have done so on many occasions. They're outlawed in most states, as the dogs were bred to kill, anyone, or anything. Why? I have no clue, but they don't call them "Man Stoppers" for just any reason, they call them that because that is their main goal in life, and will do so regardless if the person they kill is their owner, and has never shown them anything but love. It's weird, and not something I even pretend to know anything about. Only that I'd never in a million years own, or more importantly, trust one. What in their breeding went so drastically wrong? I have no clue, nor do I intend to find out. There's just no need to in my (our) case, we won't have something living in our house that could and would kill us without provocation or a moments hesitation. That last is just my :twocents:.

Don't want to thread jack, but not all Presa Canario are bred to kill. In Spain they are used to herd and pretty much have a Pit Bull attitude. A lot of the ones we have here in the states are from South/Central America - where they were bred to guard drug cartels. There are breeders here trying to bring the Spanish version of the breed to the public. Just a little FYI. Not recommending the breed as a whole, just that there are some good ones out there.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Don't want to thread jack, but not all Presa Canario are bred to kill. In Spain they are used to herd and pretty much have a Pit Bull attitude. A lot of the ones we have here in the states are from South/Central America - where they were bred to guard drug cartels. There are breeders here trying to bring the Spanish version of the breed to the public. Just a little FYI. Not recommending the breed as a whole, just that there are some good ones out there.

WOW Kitty! Thanks, that's something I'd not heard. The ones I know of here in this country I wouldn't go near even with a HUGE concrete barricade between me and them, but with your new info, I have a totally better understanding of the breed. Most dog books/mags don't cover the breed, cuz (I think, not sure on this one) they're banned from all, if not most states, and definatly from almost all apartment complexes. Count yourself lucky if you find one that will let you own an keep a Pit there. (Did you know that Pits are banned from almost every part of FL, except Tampa, but I'm not sure on that, they may be banned there too) CA (the NUTBALL state) is working on a similar ban, but that's because they're the favorite breed of gangs and dog fighters. Admittedly I've never even seen a Presa (except on TV), but from breeders I know, (albeit not of that breed) have all warned me away from them. Bills dog is almost to big for me to handle, which is why I never take him outside,(he's HUGE) he'd take me for a drag! Our Pit on the other hand is also trained as a Therapy Dog, and is far calmer and better behaved in public, at least with me, he tows our daughter around like a pulltoy, (unless we run into an un-nutered male dog), then we have to steer clear of that situation. (it's a fight looking to happen.) Unfortunately, gone are the days where I can handle something that out weighs me.

Prior to the last several years, it wouldn't have been a problem. You wouldn't believe the muscles you develop (and didn't know you even had! LOL) when you work and train not only the bigger breeds of dogs, but horses as well. And horses have the mentality of a 5 year old child, and will push the envelop to the limit as to what they can, and can't get away with! It's easier when you're on the ground, but while on them, your pucker factor increases to a 10, just to keep you in the saddle when they get a case of what we used to call "happy feet". "Buckety-Rears" are even more of a challenge! But once you get the hang of it, you know how to react to almost any given situation. Incoming "Boogymen" as well as being launched. ALL horses believe there is a Boogyman, who's out to get them at every turn or unknown object. And can and will "spook" at any given moment, even for no reason. ROFL

I've only actually fallen off once, and that was my own fault. I was riding a Peruvian Paso (they're what's called a "gaited" horse, and their front legs swivel like "egg beaters", around in circles. I wanted to see what they were doing, so I leaned out of the saddle and got to laughing so hard, I completely fell off! It was hilarious! I'd love to keep riding, but the neuro who did my spine surgery, told me I'd have a death wish if I even tried it. So....ok....maybe he does now better....:dunno:

I could probably still do the ground work, but that'd be pushing it as well. So no more horses for me (except coo'ing at, and stuffing them full of treats), just strictly dogs. When I train, I usually take them from about 6 go 8 weeks old, and start out that way. Gentleness first, small commands, potty training, sit, stay, lay, wait, off, down (as in get down ie:the counter, the table, a person, etc.,) then move on to the more serious commands as they get older. With a few of my own thrown in for good measure, our dogs respond to the horse commands as well as the dog ones. It's just easier that way for me.

Anyway, THANKS! I always love learning something new! It broadens my knowledge, and helps me form a different opinion if I'm wrong about something! You must be an animal lover, you come across so sweetly and are very kind natured. And personally, I wouldn't worry about thread hijacking, info is info, and useful in almost any given situation.
    Hugs,
    7th Stepper

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There's another issue with a peephole. Some unprincipled knaves have been known to put a laser pointer to it when you look through. That's good for some permanent damage to the eyebone. Not what you need going into a confrontation.

Personally, I have motion sensor lights all around on the outside, plus cameras covering all the doors inside and out, and some other views, all feeding a DVR. Anybody that shows up will be lit up automatically and recorded. The backyard is fenced, so nobody has any business there anyway. I have monitors in the places I spend time, so if I hear something I can see if it's important without putting myself in a situation. The motion sensors false on a raccoon or something sometimes, but they're kind of interesting to watch anyway :)

I live in a nice area, but someone once hit my front door hard enough to crack the jamb and bend the deadbolt. Entry was not achieved, but obviously intended. I've replaced that part of the jamb with a steel plate bolted into the structural members of the wall. I don't think anyone's getting in that way. The house itself is a tri-level, and can be thought of as a spiral. The funnel of death is easy to establish, especially upstairs.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    There's another issue with a peephole. Some unprincipled knaves have been known to put a laser pointer to it when you look through. That's good for some permanent damage to the eyebone. Not what you need going into a confrontation.

Good point! Very good point! And one niether Bill nor I had thought of or about! We have laser pointers around the house, but we usually play "get the bug" with the dogs with them. I know they're illegal to use outside, because apparently they can reach up to the cockpit of an airplane and hinder a pilots vision while flying the plane, but shining one thru a peephole is not something I'd have been expecting. Thanks for the enlightening information, I'll file it away in the "what NOT to do" section of DO's & DON'Ts when confronting someone who's trying to break into our home!
    Thanks for the insight! (no pun intended! LOL)
    7th Stepper

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, there may be local laws, and pointing at airplanes is definitely a nono, but I don't think there's a state or federal law for outside generally. You could probably be charged with assault for intentionally aiming one at anyone, though. I actually have a cat that doesn't respond to them. I could never have imagined.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Where does it say this?

I know there are some city laws on them (like Evansvilles law against pointing them at a LEO) but I'm not aware of any state laws.

That's because they're not State Laws, they're Federal!
    I don't remember exactly when I heard that, I but it had something to do with the FAA, or FCC. about pointing lasers into the sky, at ANY given time.

How do I know this you ask? Because being curious can be a good thing, (as well as having the balls of Godzilla! LOL) and I just got off the phone with an FBI agent, who explained that Yes, it is against the law. He wasn't exactly sure of the the exact wording, but, he said to check out the FAA or FCC website, and you'll probably find it there.

But as far as it being against the law, yes, it's a Federal Offense, esp if the airline pilot suffers vision damage from the experience. The planes have a GPS on them, and from what I understand, they can pinpoint almost to the house where the laser was pointed from. (Kinda like Google Earth)
    And besides, what if you had/have a loved one on a plain that's affected by such an incident? Wouldn't you want the culprit caught, even if not to prosecute, to prevent them from killing or endangering other people (or even your own) lives?

Just my passing on knowledge here, knowledge is power, and also keeps law abiding citizens out of jail! Cuz "Ignorance of the Law" is NOT a defense anyone can use anymore.

So, just consider this an FYI, and keep it in mind the next time you're playing with a laser pointer, other than inside to "get the bug" type of thing. And NO, I don't believe everything the govt tells me, but I'd hate to risk this one, esp if I had loved ones on that plain. So to me it makes sense. Besides, why would he lie? It's not exactly like they're trying to control us, just keeping the plains safer to fly on/in. (Personally, I like the George Carlin line, "YOU fly ON the plane, I'll fly IN it, thank you!") Unlike some, I don't "do" wing walking!

Just being helpful,
    7th Stepper

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    To Finity, Expat and Jeremy......awwww, I love you guys too!!!
    7th Stepper

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My drunk neighbor tried to get into my door about a month ago at 10:28 at night.
    .45 at arms length and headed to the door.
    He was trying to turn the doorknob, fumbling with keys, and then hitting the door with what I'll guess was his shoulder trying to get in.
    I gave him a verbal command to get the F... away from my door.
    He finally started cussing and I recognized his voice.
    I walked him home and told him he was lucky I didn't shoot his sorry arse.
    Dick never has apologized. I doubt he remembers actually.
    Tough call when someone invades your space or threatens it.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    My drunk neighbor tried to get into my door about a month ago at 10:28 at night.
    .45 at arms length and headed to the door.
    He was trying to turn the doorknob, fumbling with keys, and then hitting the door with what I'll guess was his shoulder trying to get in.
    I gave him a verbal command to get the F... away from my door.
    He finally started cussing and I recognized his voice.
    I walked him home and told him he was lucky I didn't shoot his sorry arse.
    Dick never has apologized. I doubt he remembers actually.
    Tough call when someone invades your space or threatens it.

Maybe a tough call Harry, but for someone with your sense of awareness, and self control, it's a major triumph for all gun owners. You have more than your share (that's a compliment, NOT an insult) of "common sense", which both Bill and I agree is neither common, or makes sense most of the time. Great work! Where do you live, I'd LOVE to be your neighbor, anytime!
    Regards.
    7th Stepper

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Yea, but a load of 7 1/2 birdshot in his cheeks would have been great conversation at block parties.
    I'm definitely NOT going to shoot through my door at someone.
    Maybe load up some rock salt for future possible use. He does drink professionally. I can't believe he hasn't been pulled for over for DWI in our area. Our local constabulary is adamant in that regard.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    But as far as it being against the law, yes, it's a Federal Offense

I don't know that I would be so quick to fully trust anything that any LEO tells you without verifying it first.

We all have heard (or had personal experiences) with cops who think the laws say things that they don't.

After doing a little research I found that there is NO federal law against using a laser pointer outside let alone pointing one at a plane.

There has been legislation at the federal level for the last 6 years to try to get a law passed making it illegal to point lasers at planes but as of yet it hasn't been passed. Obviously if there is a PROPOSED law then there is not a CURRENT law in effect.

H.R. 386: Securing Aircraft Cockpits Against Lasers Act of 2011 (GovTrack.us)

THe FDA has regulations in place to control the manufacture and labeling of lasers but says nothing about there use IN GENERAL.

I also found that the FAA has regulations pertaining to the outdoor use of lasers for "light shows" & scientific research since the power of those lasers are MUCH MUCH higher than the ones you use to play with your dogs. There are also restrictions on using lasers close to airports where the plane will be at a lower altitude.

OTOH, in doing my research I DID find that I was incorrect about there being no state law on laser pointers. The law I attributed to Evansville was also a state law prohibiting pointing a laser at a "public safety officer". However there is no state law against using laser pointers "outside" IN GENERAL.

As to the the "GPS" that you mention, GPS units are used to provide the location of the plane (or you if you own a personal unit). They don't "track" any laser signals emanating from the ground. I'm not saying that laser tracking devides don't exist (the military MAY have them but I don't even know if that true or not either - I wasn't able to find anything doing a google search) but it's not a "GPS" that does the tracking.

So, it looks like the bottom line is that there are no federal laws against the outdoor use of laser pointers IN GENERAL but if you live close to an airport you should make sure you aren't pointing them at planes. It's kind of like alcohol - use it responsibly.

Unless you can specifically show me that I'm wrong, that's my story & I'm sticking to it. :D

Besides, why would he lie? It's not exactly like they're trying to control us

Really? If you believe that then I have some ocean front property to sell you in Montana.

:rolleyes:

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    I'm not sure I would turn on the outdoor lights first. I know my property at least as well and probably better than a potential intruder. I would shine a flashlight in his eyes and start issuing commands...backed up by my trusty FN 5.7 x 28... At the same time, my wife would be dialing 911...

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I'm not sure I would turn on the outdoor lights first. I know my property at least as well and probably better than a potential intruder. I would shine a flashlight in his eyes and start issuing commands...backed up by my trusty FN 5.7 x 28... At the same time, my wife would be dialing :bacondance: 1911...:bacondance:

You must have had your auto correct on. So I went ahead and fixed it for you.

Top Bottom