• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    New updates posted to original post.

Thanks for the update. I missed the thread originally. Any reason you didn't imbed any of Dave's YouTube videos to help explain the theory behind the reasoning?

I've been watching Dave's vids since the yurt series and jumping back to play catch up on others dating back to 2009. Interesting stuff.

I'm currently fiddling with my Stoeger Coach Gun with a lot of this stuff in mind.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    No matter how good a re-loader you are ...

... it is unlikely that you will be re-loading many .22 rounds. When they're gone, they're gone. Also, a SxS 12g double is a darn good option. EBG
    The point is not that the 12ga is better, it's that it's more versatile. You have a break open 12ga, a muzzle loader, and a 9mm in one package. With a 10/22 once the .22s run out you're screwed. You can't muzzle load a .22 and you can't fire anything else out of it.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I love the idea, but I have a Rossi Matched Pair that has a .22 barrel and a 20 gauge barrel. I can buy more barrels in calibers such as 410, .243, 12g, in addition to the two I already have. I like my setup better, however it isn't really my "survival gun" not that I have one..

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    How many ØØØ slugs can a .22lr fire at once?

And what will a 12g slug kill that a .22ir bullet might only antagonize? EBG
    Yes a 22lr may only ever be a 22lr, but for the space that takes up two boxes of shotgun shells totalling 50 rounds, you can have two boxes of 550 totaling 1100 rounds of ammo. I have nothing against the shotgun, but for the reason I just mentioned I'll take my 10-22 every time.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    I was agreeing w/ you for emphasis.

As for carrying rim-fire rounds in bail-out situation, I have a BOB back-pack, a BOB uniform of shirt and pants with MANY cargo-pockets, and even a BOB go-to-hell hat with survival goodies attached. Those little .22 rounds can fit in nearly anywhere. And depending on bbl-length, they almost sound suppressed. Quite handy.
    You just said exactly what I said... I never said anything about reloading rimfire. :laugh:

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    As for carrying rim-fire rounds in bail-out situation, I have a BOB back-pack, a BOB uniform of shirt and pants with MANY cargo-pockets, and even a BOB go-to-hell hat with survival goodies attached. Those little .22 rounds can fit in nearly anywhere. And depending on bbl-length, they almost sound suppressed. Quite handy.

Why do you keep quoting me in posts that have nothing to do with what you're talking about? :dunno:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Love this idea...reminds me that savage used to sell an over under 12x.357mag
    That would be handy with rem-chokes....357 can be loaded with round ball and black powder in a pinch(small game)
    Dad had the.222over 20 ga and a 222x22 adapter.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Thats a good idea, but just a word of caution.
    I had a friend, very good friend, that used to shoot with me. He had a 12ga VERY similar to the original picture. I believe it lasted for about 250 rounds or so of light skeet type loads before he began to get very regular light primer strikes, and then eventually it wouldnt fire a shell at all.
    I dont know if it was just the cheap design or what, and its also possible he had a rarity, but I also dont know of anyone that shoots these on a very regular basis.
    His hammer was worn, or something inside was. The firing pin itself was good, but the hammer would no longer go far enough forward to reliably strike the primer.

Point being, has anyone "torture tested" one of these to see how many rounds it can fire without issue?

Ive always stayed away from single shot break open shotguns for just that reason. Maybe Ive been wrong all this time...

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    This is pretty awesome. I don't have the time or skills to do something like that, but it is a really great idea! Looking forward to keeping track of your progress.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    Point being, has anyone "torture tested" one of these to see how many rounds it can fire without issue?

Ive always stayed away from single shot break open shotguns for just that reason. Maybe Ive been wrong all this time...

Quite literally hundreds of thousands of people have bought, hunted with, and approved of single shot rifles, and shotguns like the Rossi, and N.E.F.s. They're cheap, but they just work. I had a $3000 Barrett that I had to send back to the factory for repairs after just 50 rounds. Doesn't mean the Barrett .50 cal isn't a superb firearm, just means there are quirks in mass production from time to time. Having one friend with a faulty rifle shouldn't put you off of buying one when so many other people swear by them. :twocents:

odie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Very cool project. That beats the hell out of a simple .22, now if we can figure out how to make them semi auto.

Top Bottom