• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyme2climb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Mt. Vernon
    I would like to get internet access on my desktop, but I live in rural Posey County. AT&T has seen to it that my supposedly unlimited data plan is not an option through my iphone without losing it forever to one of their extra cost, limited use plans. Fortunately, my contract will end in a few weeks and I can explore options for carriers. Cable access ends about a mile down the road from me. Large trees surround my house making satellite a poor and costly choice. Short of moving, what are my options?

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    We have property in Michigan, and I deal with the same issue. I have been using my Iphone and the 3G service that is available there. I have a 10 GB data plan and I have never come close to going over. As long as you do not stream a lot of data it is easy to stay under the limit. If you have 4G or LTE service available in that area, the service will be as fast or faster than most cable or DSL hookups. The 3G is OK, but I can't wait until later this year. Verizon is supposed to have converted all current 3G to LTE by mid 2013.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Is trimming a few limbs of the trees an option to get a signal via satellite? I am tree covered as well and had to cut a few limbs to get good signal, but I am an arborist so it was not a big deal to climb it and do the work.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Dude, I feel your pain. This thread may help:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/248552-rural_internet_suggestions.html

And I agree with Llamaguy...We've been on Dish Network satellite for a while now and other than that data limit, it's not as bad as I was warned. In fact, for surfing, watching videos, etc., I've been satisfied. We went over our limit last month and even at the "reduced data rate", it wasn't awful. That said, if we had a no-limit plan available that would be preferable.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    My BIL in Michigan uses verizon mi-fi for his internet. Don't know what he pays, but he's happy with it.
    I also have a verizon mi-fi card for my work laptop and it works fine for what I need it for.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    An option, but I want to be legit-eventually they will catch on and start billing from what I understand. I've already been throttled, and I wasn't even tethered.

We attempted this and received a nicely worded letter that clearly told us that if we kept tethering they would take us to the woodshed with fees. You understand correctly.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Thanks for all the suggestions-MIFI card may be the way to go.

You might want to check the cost and the data limits on those. It's possible things have changed, but when we were checking, to get a plan with a sizable data limit was no bargain.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I have Verizon coming out next Monday to test signal strengths at my house. If everything is in line they will hook up a signal box outside and we will have our own WiFi network. There plan starts out at $60 a month for 10 GB.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I'm not buying or selling here, just relaying my recent experiences...but if you already have Dish Network tv, you get a $10 discount by subscribing to their satellite service:

Satellite Internet | Rural Broadband | dishNET

I have thought about satellite, but I hate paying for television. Plus I am on a plan to semi retire by the age of 42 and unless its a necessity you won't see me spending money on it. 6 years 8 months to go. Not that I am counting. :D

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have thought about satellite, but I hate paying for television. Plus I am on a plan to semi retire by the age of 42 and unless its a necessity you won't see me spending money on it. 6 years 8 months to go. Not that I am counting. :D

I don't blame you. Just trying to get the word out for those that already have Dish.;)

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    Excede by WildBlue is about as good as it gets in rural areas that don't have any other choices. The big issue with satellite is latency and the amount of data you are allowed per month.

I had the old WildBlue and have had Excede since it was released...no comparison. I am part of an FCC study and let them monitor my connection (in exchange for unlimited bandwidth) fro 6 months. Currently my system's average download speed for the last 30 days was 19.96Mbps and an upload speed of 6.08Mbps. At times my downloads have been closer to 30Mbps.

If you play FPS type games you won't like it do to the latency but the new system is working acceptably with VoIP.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I have Verizon coming out next Monday to test signal strengths at my house. If everything is in line they will hook up a signal box outside and we will have our own WiFi network. There plan starts out at $60 a month for 10 GB.

Tom, is this from their cell towers, or what kinda internet are you talking about?

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Excede by WildBlue is about as good as it gets in rural areas that don't have any other choices. The big issue with satellite is latency and the amount of data you are allowed per month.

I had the old WildBlue and have had Excede since it was released...no comparison. I am part of an FCC study and let them monitor my connection (in exchange for unlimited bandwidth) fro 6 months. Currently my system's average download speed for the last 30 days was 19.96Mbps and an upload speed of 6.08Mbps. At times my downloads have been closer to 30Mbps.

If you play FPS type games you won't like it do to the latency but the new system is working acceptably with VoIP.

What do you have to pay for the Excede?

Top Bottom